Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance > Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges > Can I claim on a closed account, no account numbe... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?
Views: 38,209
# 1
Edinburghlass
Old 21-04-2007, 9:41 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Starting a new thread regarding this subject.

Yes you can. If you no longer have the account number and branch sort code please send the bank or credit card company your name with any changes that may have happened, any relevant addresses and your date of birth and this should help them trace your account.

As always read Martin's article and then read it again before you start your claim and you'll find the addresses you need along with lots of other very useful information in the Reclaim Help Thread which is linked in my signature.

Step-by-step Guides: Bank Charges: Emergency Guide | Bank Charges: Reclaim Your Cash | Bank Charges Petition | Bank Charges Video Guide | Credit Card Reclaiming | Top New Bank Account Calculator: Charge them interest Template Letters: (right click and save) Ask for charge details |Initial letter | Second letter | Small claims note Get Updates On Important Changes: Free Weekly Money Tip
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Last edited by Edinburghlass; 20-06-2008 at 7:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
peasepud
Old 22-04-2007, 10:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default closed account

hi,

In the past I had serious problems with charges which resulted in the closing of my account and opening of a basic one. That was 3 years ago and since then Ive paid off the overdraft and got sorted.

I know from reading other threads that I can claim from the closed account but do I need the details of it or will the bank sort it from my current one?
# 3
Twinkly
Old 23-04-2007, 6:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasepud View Post
hi,

In the past I had serious problems with charges which resulted in the closing of my account and opening of a basic one. That was 3 years ago and since then Ive paid off the overdraft and got sorted.

I know from reading other threads that I can claim from the closed account but do I need the details of it or will the bank sort it from my current one?
If you already have your sort code and account then it is a bit easier, frankly. If not, write for your details advising of full name and address with postcode, date of birth, dates account opened/closed if known and sometimes the address of your local branch helps. The type of account helps too. This information is sufficient for them to trace the account and was enough to trace an old, closed and archived account of mine.

Your current may be useful if they have record of your past account stored in its details, I dont know if they actually add previous account details to current records though. Good luck

Last edited by Twinkly; 23-04-2007 at 6:53 AM. Reason: added a bit
# 4
jennie1
Old 23-04-2007, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Reclaiming charges on closed account

Hi

I am considering reclaiming approx 5 years worth of charges from Abbey totalling roughly £2000. I closed the account in March 2006 (after trying to close it since October 2005) and now have an account from Natwest - no problems with charges! - do I still have the same chance of reclaiming my money? Do I have to mention anywhere in my letter requesting statements the fact that the account is closed?

Any advice would be gratefully received! Cheers
# 5
Twinkly
Old 23-04-2007, 9:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie1 View Post
Hi

I am considering reclaiming approx 5 years worth of charges from Abbey totalling roughly £2000. I closed the account in March 2006 (after trying to close it since October 2005) and now have an account from Natwest - no problems with charges! - do I still have the same chance of reclaiming my money? Do I have to mention anywhere in my letter requesting statements the fact that the account is closed?

Any advice would be gratefully received! Cheers
You will need to mention it as they may claim not to have record of it if it doesnt immediately show on the system. Pre-2004 information will be archived but this will not be a problem and they will be able to locate your details. You stand exactly the same chance as everyone else with regard to reclaiming and there have been successful cases of closed accounts charges settled. It doesnt make any difference in that regard. Good luck
# 6
Beate
Old 23-04-2007, 9:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

No they can see that for themselves when they look into your account. Claiming from closed accounts is no problem. Be careful though that you don't exceed the six years - they go back from NOW not when you closed the account.
# 7
TheBendiko
Old 24-04-2007, 2:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default can someone help me please??

4 years ago i had a savings account, debit account and then i applied for a switch account. after becoming unemployed i started using the cheque book and guarantee card to get money from cheque cashing places because they i hadnt been sent the pin number for my account, and in the space of a month i ran up around 600 pounds worth of debt even tho i only had a 200 pound overdraft i started to get charged every week and got phone calls from the bank asking to pay the money back. i eventually payed most of the money back then they closed my switch account. can i reclaim these charges even though i blatantly took liberties on my switch account?

advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
# 8
Unrepentant Debtor
Old 24-04-2007, 3:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Don't worry. It's got nothing to do with how you used your account. It's all about the fact that bank charges are onerous and unlawful. You can claim charges back up to 6 years. That doesn't mean the banks want you to though!

Go for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Unrepentant Debtor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
wdevlin
Old 24-04-2007, 11:24 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Claim on closed account.

Many years ago I had an overdrawn with the Bank of Scotland. After some arguing over charges, they closed the account and pursued me through debt collectors. I was wondering if I can reclaim charges on a closed aco!!!!?

Thank you.
# 10
Twinkly
Old 24-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdevlin View Post
Many years ago I had an overdrawn with the Bank of Scotland. After some arguing over charges, they closed the account and pursued me through debt collectors. I was wondering if I can reclaim charges on a closed aco!!!!?

Thank you.
Yes you can. Request your 6 years details as a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act sending the statutory £10 fee for this service. Some banks dont charge or return your cheque but I dont know about RBS in particular sorry, someone else might. You will need your account number and sort code but if not your full name and address with postcode and date of birth with details of account according to type and opened/closed dates will be sufficient to trace you.

Good luck
# 11
imapoorstudent
Old 24-04-2007, 1:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How do I find out my old account numbers?

I have a very bad history of debt... Over the past six years, my bank history includes Natwest, Lloyds TSB, Halifax, Capital One, HSBC and MINT.

If I have had several different accounts with the same bank, do I need to include a tenner for each account? Should I send a separate letter for each account?

When I was younger with Natwest, I had a Switch account and lost my job. I had no money and I kept spending on a card with no overdraft. It eventually reached -£2000 (most of which was charges) before they took action and closed the account. Could I get most of this back?

I don't have a record of any of my old account numbers really. Is there any way I can find out?

If I take on the above banks, am I likely to end up getting blacklisted by them and find it hard to get banking services anywhere?

Cheers.
# 12
Twinkly
Old 24-04-2007, 1:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapoorstudent View Post
I have a very bad history of debt... Over the past six years, my bank history includes Natwest, Lloyds TSB, Halifax, Capital One, HSBC and MINT.

If I have had several different accounts with the same bank, do I need to include a tenner for each account? Should I send a separate letter for each account? No. One letter listing all the account numbers and one payment of £10 if applicable is all that is neccessary in that case.

When I was younger with Natwest, I had a Switch account and lost my job. I had no money and I kept spending on a card with no overdraft. It eventually reached -£2000 (most of which was charges) before they took action and closed the account. Could I get most of this back?Yes and you will be paid any balance left over after the full amount is applied to the overdrawn account.

I don't have a record of any of my old account numbers really. Is there any way I can find out?Write to each bank requesting your details as SAR under the Data Protection Act. HSBC and Capital do not charge for this service, Halifax charges £5.00. Other banks may send back your cheque or postal order but include a £10 statutory fee for your details initially.

Give details of your full name and address including postcode and all previous addresses if applicable. Give your date of birth and include any information you have such as the type of account, local branch address, date account opened/closed or any details of agencies they may have been passed to for collection including any account numbers/reference numbers for those.

If I take on the above banks, am I likely to end up getting blacklisted by them and find it hard to get banking services anywhere?You may already be because of your credit history but you should still be able to get the most basic bank bank account such as those operated for benefit claimants by most, if not all, banks and the Post Office.

Cheers.
Purply bits are my comments. Good luck

Last edited by Twinkly; 24-04-2007 at 1:37 PM. Reason: added a bit
# 13
TheBendiko
Old 24-04-2007, 3:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

spot on mate. all the best.
# 14
proper_damn_skint
Old 25-04-2007, 7:35 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I've closed accounts AND changed address since being charged?!

Howdy everyone, was kinda hoping someone knowledgable could help me with a query.

I have closed down my bank account with Abbey and moved into a different address since their last charge was applied but don't know how to go about informing them correctly.

I've downloaded the templte letters & understand them fully, but as we're dealing with data protection stuff here, will they simply accept an enclosed note showing my former address?

Thanks in advance and good luck to anyone else trying to claim!!!!!

Richard.
# 15
Ste1974B
Old 25-04-2007, 12:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Can I reclaim charges even though I have closed my account?

I had an account with HSBC for about 15yrs. I closed this account at the start o fthe year as I was sick of the excessive overdraft charges. Am I still eligible to claim back these charges even though I am now no longer a customer of HSBC?
# 16
Beate
Old 25-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Yes, you are.
# 17
Beate
Old 25-04-2007, 12:50 PM

As long as you provide them with your former account number, they should have no trouble finding your old info. My OH had closed accounts and changed address and still successfully claimed charges back from Capital One.
# 18
proper_damn_skint
Old 25-04-2007, 5:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Closed account AND changed address

Howdy everyone.

I used to have an account with Abbey & I'm gonna claim back (with interest hopefully!) every charge they smacked me with.

The account has been closed for about 18 months now & i moved house shortly after (so Abbey don't know my new address).

I have read & fully understand the sample letters to send to the bank but just want some assistance on informing Abbey of my new details..... Will simply putting a note with my old address as a reference suffice? I plan on doing this with my 1st letter to request details of my charges. Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance, Richard.
# 19
emmacroyden
Old 26-04-2007, 8:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Reclaiming charges on closed accounts?

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to reclaim charges on accounts that have been closed for several years?

I had an account with First Direct that I closed around three years ago. I no longer have any statements or information about my account. Would I be entitled to contact them to obtain statements & potentially reclaim charges?

Thanks!
E
# 20
COOLTRIKERCHICK
Old 26-04-2007, 10:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to COOLTRIKERCHICK
Default old m & s credit card...

hi.. i am prob.. totally wrong here.. but i had a credit card with m & s.. and allways used to miss payments because i didnt have the money to pay it...as far as i can remember i thought i was being charged a late fee sum.. for not paying.. and this accounted for the running bal.. as i hardly used it...

anyway i paid my £10.. for the archive accounts... as i closed the account in 2004..

i have recieved the printouts today... and i am a bit confused..... as according to these print out i was never charged... for non/late payments ? i have only been charged 2 sets of £15 for letters ...now either m&s were totally dif to any other credit card around.. and never charged you for late/non payment.... or there is something wrong with this print out....

the covering letter says....
thank you for your recent request for a copy of a complete list of transactions and charges relating to your accounts for the past 7 years that is held by m&s, under the terms of the data protection act 1998.
a full subject access request may deliver more information than you need. marks and spencer money operates serveral systems that may provide current historical and duplicate data fields. this can result in numerous printouts being provided, often containing reptitive information, which may not answer your specific query fully.

you state that a complete set of statements for that period would be acceptable as an alternative as this would provide you with information your require regarding any fees we may have charged to your account for letters,telephones calls etc,
please find enclosed copies of your statements as per request for your information some of the enclosed statements may be shown in archive format....

so what do you think ?
daydream fund total ..........not enough....lol...
PAD ....SO FAR £349.07 (24-3-14)