Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Economy Energy, who are they? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Economy Energy, who are they?
Reply
Views: 214,055
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
spinningsheep
Old 19-01-2013, 4:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 957
Default Economy Energy, who are they?

Who are these people? Never heard of them, had a rep stop me in the street a few days back and I gather they only offer prepay and the rep told me THEY supply the energy, nobody is behind them like Sainsburys Energy and BG for eg, but their website seems vague!

http://www.economyenergy.co.uk/index.html
spinningsheep is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spinningsheep For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Joyful
Old 19-01-2013, 5:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 2,009
Default

One of the points they make is no charge for emergency credit on prepay meters. As far as I am aware no companies make a charge for this so their selling tactics seem iffy. It also looks like the only tariff is a fixed for 12 month one.
I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
Joyful is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joyful For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
chris1973
Old 19-01-2013, 8:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 819
Default

Well its about time somebody did something to offer better tariffs for prepayment customers, over the standard tariffs offered by others, so I hope that they will succeed in their business, even if it is relatively new.

After all, if they do find a way of offering a deal more in line with the discounted DD tariffs offered to credit meter customers then good luck to them, i'm sure they'll lure quite a few prepayment customers away from the big boys

That said its a bit of a concern that they appear to be a non trading individual with Nominet and have withheld their address details on their domain registration. Sounds like a bit of a bedroom based business operator in that respect.

I also can't find any listing for them on Duedil, which may just be down to how long they have been operating.
"Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich

Last edited by chris1973; 19-01-2013 at 8:36 PM.
chris1973 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to chris1973 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mallenmeuk
Old 02-02-2013, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
Posts: 10
Default

All I can say is be careful if you are thinking of using economyenergy.co.uk

I have inherited this company as a supplier for my electricity after moving house in early December 2012 and ever since then I have been trying to switch my supply to my prefered supplier however FOUR TIMES now economyenergy.co.uk have cancelled my transfer at the last minute.

In my many telephone conversations with this company I have been given a range of excuses for the cancelled transfer ranging from "an ex employee not knowing what she was doing" to a "signed contract with a previous unconnected resident at my address!" Despite reassurances that all will go through on the next occasion they declined my switch again only yesterday.... What concerns me the most was a conversation which I had with the Ombudsman Services last week - economyenergy.co.uk are NOT subscribed to their complaints scheme so they are unable to assist with my issue.

To summarise I would advise anyone to avoid this company at all costs!
mallenmeuk is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mallenmeuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
dogshome
Old 02-02-2013, 2:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,229
Default

Thank you mallenmeuk
Like most of the regulars on this site, I was concerned when Consumer Focus bailed out, (or was pushed out), of it's role for handling Gas/Elec customer Complaints in December 2012, with the Baton being passed over to the Citizens Advice Bureau.

This left just 2 avenues for Complaints - 1) The CAB, who though a worthy organsation, do not have the staffing, experience and most importantly the legal remit to pursue and fine Suppliers, and 2) The Ombudsman, whom we now know won't care a monkeys if a Complainants supplier is not a subscribeing member, even if that supplier broke into a household and kidnapped it's children in order to get paid, for what later transpires to be a 'Phantom' debt

Last edited by dogshome; 02-02-2013 at 2:41 PM.
dogshome is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to dogshome For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Wywth
Old 02-02-2013, 4:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallenmeuk View Post
All I can say is be careful if you are thinking of using economyenergy.co.uk

I have inherited this company as a supplier for my electricity after moving house in early December 2012 and ever since then I have been trying to switch my supply to my prefered supplier however FOUR TIMES now economyenergy.co.uk have cancelled my transfer at the last minute.

In my many telephone conversations with this company I have been given a range of excuses for the cancelled transfer ranging from "an ex employee not knowing what she was doing" to a "signed contract with a previous unconnected resident at my address!" Despite reassurances that all will go through on the next occasion they declined my switch again only yesterday.... What concerns me the most was a conversation which I had with the Ombudsman Services last week - economyenergy.co.uk are NOT subscribed to their complaints scheme so they are unable to assist with my issue.

To summarise I would advise anyone to avoid this company at all costs!
A member of the ombudsman scheme or not, they are still subject to contractual law.

Seek legal advice now. They already appear to have admitted breaching the contract when they agreed "an ex employee not knowing what she was doing"

Btw, I can't see their tariff details on their website. What are they please? They do say they only have one, and as a customer, I'm sure you could enlighten us

Last edited by Wywth; 02-02-2013 at 4:57 PM.
Wywth is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Wywth
Old 02-02-2013, 5:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningsheep View Post
Who are these people? Never heard of them, had a rep stop me in the street a few days back and I gather they only offer prepay and the rep told me THEY supply the energy, nobody is behind them like Sainsburys Energy and BG for eg, but their website seems vague!

http://www.economyenergy.co.uk/index.html
They are a relatively new energy supplier it would appear.

They were granted supply licences on 19 May 2011 under their original name, Power Assured Limited.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Licensing/Wo...supp%20lic.pdf

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Licensing/Wo...supp%20lic.pdf

I agree, their website is indeed very vague. It says they only have one traiff, but oddly don't appear to sya what it is and admit you won't find them on any comparison site.

Hopefully mallenmeuk will enlighten us further as to their tariff

Edit: Their terms and conditions imply they supply credit metered customers as well as PPM customers.
I presume they charge everyone the same price , irrespective of meter type, a bit like Ebico do.

Last edited by Wywth; 02-02-2013 at 5:18 PM.
Wywth is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 02-02-2013, 9:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,438
Default

Their company address puts them smack in the middle of an airport.
Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
Richie-from-the-Boro is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
mallenmeuk
Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
Posts: 10
Default

Sorry Folks no can do.

When I took responsibility for the supply there was no discussion regarding their cost per unit, or for that matter any reference to a minimum contract period. All that was requested was my name to take responsibility for the supply. (Just for reference I'm a Pay as you go customer)

I've had no paperwork, welcome pack or anything else from these Guys...

Last edited by mallenmeuk; 03-02-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Adding additional information to help clarify my response.
mallenmeuk is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mallenmeuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Wywth
Old 03-02-2013, 1:00 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallenmeuk View Post
Sorry Folks no can do.

When I took responsibility for the supply there was no discussion regarding their cost per unit, or for that matter any reference to a minimum contract period. All that was requested was my name to take responsibility for the supply. (Just for reference I'm a Pay as you go customer)

I've had no paperwork, welcome pack or anything else from these Guys...
How did I know you wouldn't be able to give us details of their pricing?

You should be able to see the unit price on their statement, or in the absence of one of these, I think the unit price is available directly from the PPM

Why do you want to change supplier if you don't even know how much they are charging you???
They may be cheaper than anyone else? As you won't find them on any comparison site (according to their website), you'll need their price to make any comparison to any other supplier.
Wywth is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Wywth
Old 03-02-2013, 1:06 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-from-the-Boro View Post
Their company address puts them smack in the middle of an airport.
You obviously have never been to Coventry Airport - there is indeed a large business park there

Last edited by Wywth; 03-02-2013 at 1:09 PM.
Wywth is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 03-02-2013, 1:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywth View Post
You obviously have never been to Coventry Airport - there is indeed a large business park there
- I haven't
- Coventry & Brum don't talk - they 'sing' words and sentences !
- there's one under the Man-U ground, been there - done that
- didn't suggest anything sinister
- simply pointed to where

I'm all for competition [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM].
Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 08-05-2014 at 1:24 PM. Reason: spelling the Y should be an & - corrected
Richie-from-the-Boro is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Wywth
Old 03-02-2013, 2:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,034
Default

[QUOTE=Richie-from-the-Boro;59097427]...[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

If, as the OP suggest, they only supply PPM customers, they won't need any bank details.

But like the OP, I would prefer to get more information on this supplier than cast judgement in ignorance.

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 08-05-2014 at 1:24 PM.
Wywth is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 03-02-2013, 2:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywth View Post
If, as the OP suggest, they only supply PPM customers, they won't need any bank details.

But like the OP, I would prefer to get more information on this supplier than cast judgement in ignorance.
- if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, that's not ignorance, that's playing safe
- they offer nothing that others who are already national regulated names offer
- I'm too risk averse ? - damn right I am
Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
Richie-from-the-Boro is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Wywth
Old 03-02-2013, 3:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-from-the-Boro View Post
- if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, that's not ignorance, that's playing safe
- they offer nothing that others who are already national regulated names offer
- I'm too risk averse ? - damn right I am
I don't know how it walks or quacks yet

As you seem to know what the supplier offers, how much do they charge please? Afterall, all gas and electricity suppliers offer the same thing. The only difference is billing & customer service.
Wywth is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Wywth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 03-02-2013, 6:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywth View Post
I don't know how it walks or quacks yet

As you seem to know what the supplier offers, how much do they charge please? After all, all gas and electricity suppliers offer the same thing. The only difference is billing & customer service.
- no idea, and there's the nub of it
- no one does, their site is a secret
- that's why it walks or quacks

They are offering pricing at less than the big 6, based on 4.13 :

The 12 month rolling tracker contract guarantees that the annual energy prices you pay will always be cheaper than the annual average standard energy prices of the `big 6. (Based on standard tariffs and using Ofgems published average annual consumption figures of 3300kWh electricity and 16500kWh gas).

- however as stated, they offer nothing that others who are already national regulated names offer
- a no-mark company, no one ever heard of
- an iffy website and iffy registration
- trawling for leads by accosting people in the street
- I wouldn't want them to have my home address, let alone my energy account
Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
Richie-from-the-Boro is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
mallenmeuk
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wywth View Post
Why do you want to change supplier if you don't even know how much they are charging you???

Simples..... I want both my gas and electricity with the same supplier which is one of the big 6.

Yes it will no doubt cost me a bit more but at the same time my prefered supplier offers far more support and back up when things go wrong!
mallenmeuk is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mallenmeuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
glook2000
Old 15-05-2013, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Default need more confirmation

just had a visit from one of their reps - seemed to know what he was talking about. took my details , after confirming i could opt out and not use their prepayment key i stupidly signed . The rep then tore off a slip with my signature on it and didn't even leave me a copy of the duplicate contract .

I thought this aint right - what am i signing for ? i had to chase the rep down the road and get him to rip up the contract ( give me the pieces )

They do appear on the 'companies in the uk' website - the google maps street view shows a forlorn incomplete trading estate but that could be the age of the street view rendering

If they are legit - their mistake is not leaving a signed copy with customer . I usually ask reps to leave some details and i'll contact them if im interested - hopefully this will be my last lapse of focus !!

Has anyone else had dealings with economy energy ?
glook2000 is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glook2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Richie-from-the-Boro
Old 15-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glook2000 View Post
just had a visit from one of their reps - seemed to know what he was talking about. took my details , after confirming i could opt out and not use their prepayment key i stupidly signed . The rep then tore off a slip with my signature on it and didn't even leave me a copy of the duplicate contract .

I thought this aint right - what am i signing for ? i had to chase the rep down the road and get him to rip up the contract ( give me the pieces )

They do appear on the 'companies in the uk' website - the google maps street view shows a forlorn incomplete trading estate but that could be the age of the street view rendering

If they are legit - their mistake is not leaving a signed copy with customer . I usually ask reps to leave some details and i'll contact them if im interested - hopefully this will be my last lapse of focus !!

Has anyone else had dealings with economy energy ?
Thanks for the feedback glook2000, first person actual 'real' experiences are the most valuable lessons, we as consumers, can learn from.
Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
Richie-from-the-Boro is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Richie-from-the-Boro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
NowRetired
Old 15-05-2013, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tayside
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
i had to chase the rep down the road and get him to rip up the contract ( give me the pieces )
How do you know it was your contract that he ripped up?
NowRetired is offline
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to NowRetired For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Reply

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:11 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 01 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • ALT-JTHIS IS ALL YOURS
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.