No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in January 2013

Options
ruby_eskimo
ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,528 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 2 January 2013 at 4:44PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
AND HEREWE GO AGAIN FOR ANOTHER MONTH! As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months! A big THANK YOU to kiplingmonkeyfor starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovelytips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if youneed them.

Keep up the pampering and keepdown the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month(rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (butI doubt it!)

Remember - those products donothing for you while they are locked in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to KatieClampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010.

Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I haveused up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stufffor christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda,Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditionerinto my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. Ihave decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account.
Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in thechallenge over the past few months and are making great progress in reducingour stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies;

Why not add the challenge to yoursig as a reminder?

We have a "Swaps Group" on Facebook when you can swap good conditionitems with other like-minded addicts. PM Sarah*a or xoxo or Trudijfor more info on joining.

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gapsin your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set abudget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawalsymptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people finduseful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increasethe sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you useup an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in makingfuture essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about makingthe most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products reallysuit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pamperingand breaking the habit of buying for thesake of buying.In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-tas long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gelextravagently to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!)

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on ebay
Unsuitable products can be used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwashetc)

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential itemsor gifts!!) without a receipt

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the moneyyou'd have spent on gifts)

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity as mentioned earlier.

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots,Bodyshop, the supermarket toiletries aisles, grabbit board, online toiletriesbrowsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Rememberretailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there willl alwaysbe another deal!*

*Honest!

Good luck all for January and indeed the rest of the year, and remember to keep popping in for inspiration and support, and to report your UU's and IN's.

Especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy and to keep your stash lists updated

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so dont be scared !!) oh - and we are nosey!!|

Useful abbreviations!

WIBA? - Will I Buy Again?
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning,lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to thenaughty step!
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end uppaying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your NailsMonday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nailvarnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread Alsosee PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life andspluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time andtime again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or sofantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - thatnever seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP -Pink Rose Candle Philosophy.From Erma Bombeck who said, 'If I had my life to live over again I would haveburned the pink candle sculptured like a rose that melted in storage'. Don'tkeep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives.Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 forintroducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA- for an out that was given away rather than binned or UU, to charity,as a present, or "just because!".

TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as ithas been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any otherreason such as a broken container or spillage.

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't beintimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their productsand managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies -congratulations You are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list ofgraduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourfulletters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or betterstill - pm the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish toadd how many products you have used up during the challenge, good luck ladiesxx

1.mineallmine - graduated with honours March 2011
2.Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours Jun 2012
5. Seaside dreamer -graduated with honours Oct 2012

Previous threads:

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review -here are the links for the past few months challenge threads:
March: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3823189
February:
January: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3702779

December: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3643977
November: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3583027
October: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3520791
September: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3457221
August: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3392750
July: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3330436
June: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3264270
May: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3201982
June: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3991985
July: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4046033
August 2012: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4100267
September 2012: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4152789
October 2012 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4205719
November 2012 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4262511

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

[/FONT]
Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017

Comments

• SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for starting the tread Ruby Eskimo. My aim for January is no bought ins. I have an Amarya box due in January, but shouldn't really have any other ins except still have a couple of crackers left for tomorrow and may have some ins from them.
  • sunshineyday
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    I'm back in again, thanks ruby-eskimo for starting us off this month.
    I don't think I need to buy anything this month so I'm hoping for very few ins

Happy New Year ladies with lots of pampering, xo
  • rosemary54
    rosemary54 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    Options
    hello ladies,once again many thanks for your support over 2012,not sure if my marriage will last through another year as OH is making no effort whatsoever:(christmas was okay as my sons were home but now back to the two of us and he is grumpy this morning,still deciding whether to move into the spare room as seems whatever I do it will end in tears(mine)friends all say get legal advice about what to do next as am 58 and only worked part time whilst bringng up the boys for the past 33 years so not in a good place money wise.so confused by him as some days he is very loving but like a friend and seems to have no husbandly interest in me at all.I am convinced his testosterone levels are too low(which can be bad for his health )but he won't believe me:mad:

just had my shellac removed so nails feel naked but feel strong and long:)

not sure what we are doing tonight as he refuses to go out and I don't actually feel like celebrating much!

anyway hope everyone is well and 2013 brings good times
  • candyandstripes
    Options
    After saying on Decembers thread I was going to start this & put my list together, I thought it was best to wait until after Christmas/Sales as I knew there would be a fair few INs!

Was wondering if anyone can help me, how long in general do products last before they 'go off' as such? I have some opened Soap & Glory items, unopened/opened Body Shop butters & shower gels and some old but opened fake tans? Not sure whether they should just be thrown out..

Any advice is greatly appreciated :D
    Target £25,000 | £15,008 Saved
  • getting-there-slowly
    Options
    Unopened BS stuff lasts for ages best bet is to do the 'give a sniff test' if it smells ok its fine. This has worked fine for me! Dont use soap and glory but reading other posts it does go off and smells rank - someone who knows this first hand will give some more info.

Bought this morning a travel style small spray bottle from [EMAIL="b@@ts"]b@@ts[/EMAIL] - I have several dab on perfumes that are in awkward bottles. First one tipped in and used - may have the first UU of the year very soon. Altough in all honesty this bottle of perfume has been sat there for a long time and could have been there for a lot longer.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries: July stash 72/0 INS/2 UU/0 TA
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unopened BS stuff lasts for ages best bet is to do the 'give a sniff test' if it smells ok its fine. This has worked fine for me! Dont use soap and glory but reading other posts it does go off and smells rank - someone who knows this first hand will give some more info.

Bought this morning a travel style small spray bottle from b@@ts - I have several dab on perfumes that are in awkward bottles. First one tipped in and used - may have the first UU of the year very soon. Altough in all honesty this bottle of perfume has been sat there for a long time and could have been there for a lot longer.

Hi, count me in too please.

I have a lot of old perfume, they all seem to be OK, they have been stored in the dark though, I only had one that smelled a bit chemically so chucked it, one or two that I don't like so much have been designated as room freshners (OH doesn't use the bathroom very much, he's a shower guy), so it does not matter if it smells a bit girly:rotfl:I need to get back in the habit of using perfume daily, as well as body lotion!!!
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello again ladies!

Well, I think this is my thrid or fourth year on the challenge. It's so far back in the midst of time that I can't remember when it started, only that I've been here since the beginning. (Oh dear, that makes me feel very old!) It is definitely working for me, but there's still a while to go, so I will be here until the very end...at the rate I'm currently going I may be buried with certain toiletries! :rotfl:

candyandstripes: I vote for the sniff test, too. I have found S&G Hand Cream to not last very long, and TBS body butters don't last all that long either, although that might be unfair on both products as they were in my stash for quite some time before they started to get used (although others have confirmed my findings).

Ruby: Thanks for starting this month and year's thread, but you may want to relabel it January and remove the Christmas smiley in the opening post (I like him, but if we don't take him down before the sixth day, he has to stay there until Easter! ;) ). Also, under the graduate heading there is a bit that says 'Thanks to erm me' which was from a month that I started it. Could you please change 'me' to my name, please, as it must be mightily confusing for people who drop in from month to month and actually read the first thread! :rotfl: Thanks!

Happy new year, ladies: may it be a very good one for us all, and may we use more toiletries than we buy! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• indiepanda
    Options
    I am in.

For January I am aiming for a nil purchase month - can't think of anything I will actually run out of this month. Come to that, some things I reckon I can go all year without buying.

I suspect the only things I will need in the first half of this year (other than basics like toothpaste / mouthwash which I don't hoard) is some of my HG exfoliating face mask from REN and perhaps a bottle of nail polish remover.
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 31 December 2012 at 5:28PM
    Options
    I'm in, and aim to purchase ONLY shampoo - I have oodles of conditioner, soap, and pretty much everything else left!

EDIT: Should also note that I'm including makeup in this!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Skyllo
    Skyllo Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    I have a mini body butter at my parents house that I've had for at least 6 years, partially used. Found it at Christmas and it still smells fine!

I'm in for this month! I'll be moving flats in June-July 2012 when I graduate so don't want to have to haul too many toiletries with me.

Then restraint will be required when I finally have my first full-time wage packet at the end of August!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure