Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 15th Apr 07, 1:38 PM
    • 613Posts
    • 129Thanks
    jago25_98
    Best van mpg?
    • 15th Apr 07, 1:38 PM
    Best van mpg? 15th Apr 07 at 1:38 PM
    I can't seem to find ratings to find the most fuel efficient van available.

I am used to getting 50mpg in my Fiesta (Van, car derived Van) but I need something bigger, VITO or small transit sized. Things is, that would drop to 20mpg! (this is all diesel)
    I don't need load carrying ability.

It doesn't seem quite right that with VW bringing out the 70mpg Polo and 100mpg diesels on the horizon, that the most money aware people (businesses) are using 20mpg or less diesels!

Comments, advice, suggestions?
    Last edited by jago25_98; 17-04-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Page 1
    • vaio
    • By vaio 15th Apr 07, 3:17 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    • 15th Apr 07, 3:17 PM
    • 15th Apr 07, 3:17 PM
    We have a 2000 long high Iveco Daily with lots of stock & tools always loaded and driven quite hard.

We get low 20’s so I would expect a more modern smaller less loaded and sensibly driven van to get closer to 30mpg

I can’t actually see why the car derived vans (astra, fiesta, caddy etc) shouldn’t get the same mileage as the car equivalents
    Last edited by vaio; 15-04-2007 at 3:35 PM.
  • moonrakerz
    • 15th Apr 07, 4:23 PM
    • 15th Apr 07, 4:23 PM
    I can’t actually see why the car derived vans (astra, fiesta, caddy etc) shouldn’t get the same mileage as the car equivalents
    Originally posted by vaio
    Agree !

The problem is with bigger vans that the fuel consumption varies so much with the style of driving. Most cars do return figures pretty close to the book ones, regardless of driving style. I think this is why manufacturers are reluctant to produce figures - which everyone would criticise.
    My son drives his Ranger like a sports car; when I drive it, I don't go over 2000rpm except in top gear.

He gets 18mpg, I get 30!
    • philhuff
    • By philhuff 16th Apr 07, 1:37 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    philhuff
    • 16th Apr 07, 1:37 PM
    • 16th Apr 07, 1:37 PM
    We also run an huge Iveco Daily, and that gets driven very hard. Apart from an awful cabin, it's not too bad and gets an average of 27mpg over the 35,000 miles it's done to date.

We had a Mercedes Sprinter before that, and that was almost fun to drive, and that also got in the high 20's. Sadly, it wasn't quite big enough (although the new Sprinter is) so we had to change.
  • scbk
    • 16th Apr 07, 2:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 07, 2:51 PM
    I've got a Transit mk6 SWB med roof 2ltr TD 75ps

If I keep below 60mph-ish I'll get about 35mpg. Once had to do a whole load of driving at 50-55 and I got 38/39mpg!

BTW usually the most weight in the back I'll have is 400kg tops
  • nullogik
    • 17th Apr 07, 11:39 AM
    • 17th Apr 07, 11:39 AM
    Perhaps What Van? magazine might be suitable for you. They review all the latest models and have regular reports on vehicles in long term test.

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/whatvan.asp
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  • vertical fool
    • 17th Apr 07, 5:19 PM
    • 17th Apr 07, 5:19 PM
    I've got a Daihatsu Hijet ( In the company of the big Iveco's it's difficult to desribe as a van( Two might even fit in the back of the long ones!)), which is virtually the same as the old vauxhall rascal, suzuki supercarry. It's got a 1300cc engine but comes with a factory equipped LPG system.

I think it returns around 35 mpg on petrol so could double that on LPG. Its supposed to be not very comfortable on long journeys and about as aerodynamic as a toaster on wheels! But it's a great small city van although it may not suit your purpose.

Vertical
    • vaio
    • By vaio 17th Apr 07, 9:41 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    • 17th Apr 07, 9:41 PM
    • 17th Apr 07, 9:41 PM
    I've got a Daihatsu Hijet ( In the company of the big Iveco's it's difficult to desribe as a van......
    Originally posted by vertical fool
    Think we've got a toolbox bigger than your van
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 17th Apr 07, 10:36 PM
    • 5,564 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    vansboy
    • 17th Apr 07, 10:36 PM
    • 17th Apr 07, 10:36 PM
    As mentioned, amount of load carried vastly effects fuel consumption, plus , of course a light load doesn't always mean light foot, so even the empty van goes faster - so does the fuel.

The nearest you'll get to the makers mpg indications, is to look al people carriers & mini-people carriesr, that have a similar van spec, too.

If you can manage with the size, Fiat Dublo is pretty efficient!!

VB
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 19th Apr 07, 5:44 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    jago25_98
    thanks for the tips. Whatvan has ratings hidden away in thier reviews, and it's actually what they experienced, but it's a pain to navigate through.

Looks like Primastar or Hiace are best for this size?
  • bizman
    If it helps I've got a Merc Sprinter Luton with tail lift. It's about the biggest luton that you'll (13.5 ft internal) see but the MPG is awful. I get 16mpg on average. Loaded or unloaded it's no different. I've come to the conclusion that this is because of the size of the luton. It's like a brick to push through the air. Although it has got a air kit. I also think it is underpowered. On the motorway even empty it struggles to do 70. I feel that in order to feel like we are actually getting work done we have to thrash it. If it had more power we might drive it less aggressively and therefore use less fuel. I have experienced his effect before with Land Rovers.
  • zeon999
    Have you gave the VW transporter a thought?

36.7mpg and CO2 emissions at 208g/km

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/volkswagen-transporter-1.9tdi-swb-range-1004399.html
    Last edited by zeon999; 01-04-2008 at 2:14 PM.
  • goldspanners
    ive got a vito,dont get one.
    they are fast,but they are thirsty.and expensive to repair.(if you can find someone who wants to repair it).
    at my work we are changing over to the new transit,the 100ps transit gets around 30 - 35mpg on motorway at 70mph.
    the new transit it so comfortable to drive and powerful, i cant wait to get mine.you actually arrive at your destination relaxed!
    the layout in the cab is good,plenty of storage space with a handy fold out dashboard table for lunchtime!
    as for load carrying the vito has a good load capacity for its size,but if you dont need it then go forget the vito.
    the nissan primastar/vauxhall vivaro/renault trafic vans are also pretty good on fuel,not sure of figures but good mileage out of a tank,and are pretty comfortable to drive.
    but my personal choice is the ford transit.
    ...work permit granted!
  • bizman
    This is all good stuff. However I think I am always going to have the problem of pushing a large brick shaped object through the air. I need a luton for the flat load bed and width for my mobile bar units.
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 1st Apr 08, 7:45 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    jago25_98
    I went for VW T4 LWB HighTop in the end, because it was a deal not to be missed.

But being a high top, the fuel effiency isn't great. I'd like to measure it.

I have a VAGCOM and laptop but can't see a way to measure mpg.

And letting it go onto the red I don't like doing. So how to measure mpg?
  • goldspanners
    I went for VW T4 LWB HighTop in the end, because it was a deal not to be missed.

But being a high top, the fuel effiency isn't great. I'd like to measure it.

I have a VAGCOM and laptop but can't see a way to measure mpg.

And letting it go onto the red I don't like doing. So how to measure mpg?
    Originally posted by jago25_98
    you dont need a laptop or diagnostic software for this.
    just work it out mathematically.
    or use this http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
    ...work permit granted!
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 1st Apr 08, 9:29 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    jago25_98
    you dont need a laptop or diagnostic software for this.
    just work it out mathematically.
    or use this http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
    Originally posted by goldspanners
    The fuel tank isn't uniform so to measure litres used I'd sure have to let it run to zero to measure as I said?
    • tomstickland
    • By tomstickland 1st Apr 08, 9:34 PM
    • 18,885 Posts
    • 15,427 Thanks
    tomstickland
    Weight is only really an issue if you are doing a lot of acceleration. If you are driving for long periods at a steady speed then the weight won't make much difference.
    The big killer is the aerodynamic drag. That's proportional to frontal area of the van, so large van is never going to be as good as a car derivative. Lowering speed is the only way of working round that.
  • ozvaldinho
    I run a fleet of sprinter lutons which get around 26 mpg on longer runs, but I did test drive a LWB peugeot boxer van. I was really surprised to get almpst 40mpg from it.
    It had the 150 bhp engine, but was so flexible that it would trundle round town at 30mph in sixth gear with just a wiff of throttle or just ticking over.
    Also, being a front wheel drive means it's lighter, around 250kg more payload.
    The load height is really low at the back, because of no drive shaft. That means you can make the overall height of your luton lower but still keep the same box size. This reduces the frontal area by several square feet.
    An engine with higher power output has more torque and can often work more efficiently. my 129 bhp sprinters get better mpg than my109 bhp models.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Mercedes have a licence to print money with their sprinter engines:
    90 bhp model is Xthousand
    109 bhp is a thousand more
    129 is 2000 more
    150 bhp 3000 more

YET there is no physical difference in the engine or chassis, only in the engine management system! Brakes, suspension everything else is the same right across the range. It must be tempting to buy the base model and get it 'chipped' I know there might be insurance and warranty issues to consider, but I'd love to know if anyone has done this.
    • vaio
    • By vaio 1st Apr 08, 10:17 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 8,837 Thanks
    vaio
    The fuel tank isn't uniform so to measure litres used I'd sure have to let it run to zero to measure as I said?
    Originally posted by jago25_98
    easy…..

fill it, note mileage.
    drive normally for a day/week/month keeping track of any fuel you buy.
    At the end of the test fill it again
    Add up all the fuel, add up all the miles, divide one by the other
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,422Posts Today

5,289Users online

Martin's Twitter