Best van mpg?

Options

Comments

• juliusceasor
    juliusceasor Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2010 at 12:54PM
    Options
    Vito 115 traveliner auto with loads of tools I average 29mpg that's town and motorway and backlanes driving. It is possible to improve that to 32 by more sensible driving but usually I am in a hurry. If I drive the motorway/ autobahn on long runs between 80-90mph that improves the average to 33mpg. Can't fault it really for spec, comfort and grunt it's got bucket loads of all three, going to be hard to match it reference the following paragraph..

I'm looking for a new vehicle and perhaps move to an estate car as I'd like to near double my fuel consumption and save 2.5k£ a year there are no vans out there that seem to give that, thought I am looking at the lwb vw caddy which they're talking gives 50mpg+
  • jflight
    jflight Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have a Vauxhall Combo 1.7 which gave me about 35-40 mpg when I first started using it. As I`m self-employed, I needed to cut my diesel costs, so I have changed my driving habits. I now drive between 55 and 65mph (on Motorways) and get 48-52 mpg.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jflight wrote: »
    I have a Vauxhall Combo 1.7 which gave me about 35-40 mpg when I first started using it. As I`m self-employed, I needed to cut my diesel costs, so I have changed my driving habits. I now drive between 55 and 65mph (on Motorways) and get 48-52 mpg.

You do realise this is a very old thread??? I suspect the OP has changed vans several times now since posting the question lol
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • Grimlocksteeth
    Options
    Hi. I have a 2007 Citroen relay lwb hi top van and regularly carry 700kgs in the back. This week I've done 1000 miles. Mainly motorway and A road and I have averaged 42mpg which in my opinion is great!
    I would recommend this van to anyone!

Shaun
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    great to see an old thread keep going with peoples real life submissions. I have a high top lab to and somehow it does 35mpg at 60mph which I'm very happy with.

that said, I wonder if the common rail vans like the chemo claiming to do 60mpg bear out in real term performance.

keep bring king in those stats into this thread I say
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • andy8442
    andy8442 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I get 33-39mpg out of my Vito 150sport but a mate of mine gets 45mpg from his 84bhp T5.
  • volvodude
    volvodude Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I have an old 1998 Scudo 1.9 TD, It returns around 45 MPG normal driving, and sometimes can get 50MPG out of it sat on motorway at 60 mph.

I hear the Scudo with the HDi engine (2000 - 2006 models) is better still, and you can add an other 5mpg on top of my figures.

But I am also in the market for a bigger van and am thinking of Ducato/Boxer/Relay(Jumper) as the PSA engines are very frugal.

If I can return 40+ mpg out of a lwb high top van I will be very happy!
    Practise safe sex, make love in a Volvo
    :snow_laug
  • mattbaileybfc
    Options
    i have a renault master lwb high roof and its great on fuel..!! one of the best vans on the road, theres not much you cannot get in the back, its great on the moterway and gives me about 36mpg, reasonable round town giving about 28/30mpg, also quite fun to drive with 120bhp :) i wouldnt have a transit, sprinter or crafter given me..!!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i have a renault master lwb high roof and its great on fuel..!! one of the best vans on the road, theres not much you cannot get in the back, its great on the moterway and gives me about 36mpg, reasonable round town giving about 28/30mpg, also quite fun to drive with 120bhp :) i wouldnt have a transit, sprinter or crafter given me..!!

I also drive a semi-auto Reno Master; carefull driving and some motorway gets me between 27-32 mpg
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LWB Hi-Top LDV Convoy 2.5 Diesel (the one with the Ford 'banana' engine) gives me 35 mpg on long run.
    Berlingo (albeit the 'car' version) gives me 63 mpg average. Not surprised that the Nemo gives 60+ mpg. It is just a bigger Berlingo.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure