🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What are you not going to buy this christmas

Options
The shops are filling up with all the stuff they are trying to convince us that we could not have Christmas without . It got me thinking of all the things I no longer buy and wondered how many things others had stopped buying .My list includes and this is not a full list ...
Christmas cake
Christmas pudding ( always found in the cupboard when spring cleaning )
Large tins of sweets ( they don't taste nice )
Dates and figs
Big tins of biscuits ( I choose a couple of packets of ones we really like but rarely buy because of the price )
As I said this is only the start of the list but now it's over to you ..

Comments

• daisyboyd24
    Options
    Nuts still in their shells - can never find the nut cracker and end up using the nuts as toys for the cats to chase!!!

Normally find the nut cracker in a drawer around April and have forgotten where it is by December!!!
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    Tins of biscuits, too. I am allergic to dairy so can't eat them and we don't get that many visitors...it ends up being only OH who can eat them!
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I wont be buying a Christmas cake as none of us really likes it so it ends up getting binned eventually.

Also I dont buy brandy butter as we dont like it
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A large tin of sweets - no-one likes the creams & we only eat them because 'they're there'
    A goose - love it but not very good at carving - especially after a babycham or two :D
    Brandy butter - yuk!
  • mother_noah
    Options
    I will add the nuts to my list , the bits of shell get everywhere and the brandy butter .
  • spendingmad
    Options
    Christmas cake - make my own
    Christmas pudding - make my own
    Mince Pies - make my own
    Tins of Biscuits
    Tins of Chocolates
    Nuts

We have everyone round for christmas dinner (14) and they camp out throughout the house/local motels. I do a menu for xmas dinner, and we have cold cuts and cheese board and left overs later in the evening. All the other bits and pieces get left and I end up eatting them until february so this year I am just not buying them!!!
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    Options
    I am not buying a tin of roses, the tins is smaller now :(
    And I will buy festive ginger buiscuits from lidl instead they are yummy.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • shandyclover
    Options
    Wrapping paper...I hated the expense last year, knowing we were short having just moved/changed jobs/started studying, and knowing it was most likely going to be wasted. Our youngest is now 16, old enough to appreciate it is an unecessary waste. I will buy shinny red ribbon though, coupled with newspaper for wrapping I think it could actually look very unique and 'shabbychic-ish'.

Potions and lotions that I filled the girls stockings with last year, their bathroom is far too cluttered and they have plenty for now.

This year I have actually challenged myself to source as many presents as possible from charity shops, invested in things I know the girls really want or need, I am very limited budget wise so I find I can buy fewer better quality things that way, then cheap tat that breaks, goes out of shape or ends up being unused. It's a challenge we have taken on as a family so everyone is happy with it.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    Loose nuts!!

Saw them in MrT's at the weekend, me and DH both instantly walked towards them...... I love them! Had to actually say out loud 'We don't need them. We aren't buying them. Absolutely not!'

Manged to not buy them lol
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    I don't actually buy anything different at christmas to what we have during the rest of the year. We might treat ourselves to cheese & biscuits a bit more often or an extra glass of wine because its christmas but I don't usually buy any of the "christmas" stuff. My gran used to make mince pies for us but she's getting a bit too old for that now so I suppose I should learn how to make them myself but that's the only once-a-year treat that features on our festive menu.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport