New European tariff

mcdonn
mcdonn Posts: 4 Newbie
Hi, I have noted on the BBC website call charges should be limited across europe to no more than 23p per min for calls as of 1st July 2012. I got a txt from Vodafone yesterday telling me the charges in Rep of Ireland would be 28.8p per min. Now even if you factor in VAT (I am thinking it is 20%) that should mean the maximumm they can charge is 27.6p per min.
I went onto the Vodafone site and the Vodafone rep said that the charges had not kicked in yet. Can anyone clarify if Vodafone are correct?

Comments

• NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Vodafone are incorrect. The maximum they can charge for an outgoing roaming call from an EEA country is €0.29 x 0.7999 x 1.20 = £0.2783652 per minute including VAT. They are not allowed to round up this charge.
  • mcdonn
    Thanks - I reckon they have done more than round up as the cost is 28.8ppm Are they wrong about when it should kick in too?
  • NFH
    mcdonn wrote: »
    Thanks - I reckon they have done more than round up as the cost is 28.8ppm Are they wrong about when it should kick in too?
    Yes, Orange have similarly set all their published charges at higher than is allowed. Vodafone are indeed wrong about when it should take effect.

See this other thread on a similar topic regarding data.

Ofcom are the enforcement authority for this, who took action last time I reported an overcharge in breach of the EU regulations. However, Ofcom won't take action this time until someone is overcharged. Advertising high charges (without actually overcharging a customer) does not breach the regulations.
  • mcdonn
    Thanks NFH, well I haven't been overcharged but maybe someone else has and hasn't noticed. Is there any point in me bringing it to Ofcom's attention?
  • NFH
    mcdonn wrote: »
    Is there any point in me bringing it to Ofcom's attention?
    No, because they're not interested until someone has actually been overcharged. They have no power to investigate advertised prices, and they will simply refer you to the Advertising Standards Authority.
  • digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    In that case, perhaps report it to the ASA?
  • NFH
    digp wrote: »
    In that case, perhaps report it to the ASA?
    I'm not sure if the ASA would be interested if a business is advertising a higher price than they are charging or than they are meant to be charging.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The operators are not incorrect at all.

One thing you have to bear in mind is that the European roaming rate caps are set in Euros, not Pounds Sterling. The operators in the UK are allowed to choose a date that they "fix" the exchange rate for the purpose of converting the cents/minute or MB to pence/minute or MB.

Hence the slight variance. If the exchange rate fluctuates wildy then we may benefit or suffer depending on which way it goes.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • NFH
    simax wrote: »
    The operators are not incorrect at all.

One thing you have to bear in mind is that the European roaming rate caps are set in Euros, not Pounds Sterling. The operators in the UK are allowed to choose a date that they "fix" the exchange rate for the purpose of converting the cents/minute or MB to pence/minute or MB.
    Where do you get this drivel from? Did you research this before posting such utter rubbish?

The European Commission press release states clearly "Currency exchange rates are calculated based on the rates published in the EU Official Journal on 1 June 2012 and will be revised annually"; the EUR/GBP rate is clearly stated as 0.7999. The Wikipedia article on this subject gives a history of previous exchange rates with links to the EU Official Journal for each date.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well if you believe it is wrong, then make your voice heard. However I for one have better things to worry about than 1p/min difference.....
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure