PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping lettuce fresh

Options
I am trying to tackle my menu and shopping list ready for the shop tomorrow, but seem to be wasting so much fresh stuff mainly lettuce. I like to have lettuce in the fridge, normally by just a normal iceberg but I never get to eat it all before it goes brown. Late last week treated myself to a bag of mixed leaves but they are going brown now. What Can I put lettuce in to keep it longer. I am planning to grow some in the summer but that doesn't help now. Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    one way I've found is to put damp kitchen towel in the bottom of a plastic box and then put your leaves on top and seal the box. This makes them last a few extra days.
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • MrsNurseyC
    MrsNurseyC Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya, I used to have the same problem- an inedible soggy brown Iceberg left at the end of the week, very annoying! I've found that switching the type of lettuce I buy extends its fridge life- I buy greener leafed lettuces now, like 'Round lettuce' or 'Little Gem', and have no problem with these lasting 3 weeks in the salad compartment of the fridge, no problems at all :)
  • sianb84
    sianb84 Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    lock and lock containers are meant to keep lettuce nice and crisp
  • juststarting_2
    Options
    nodwah wrote: »
    one way I've found is to put damp kitchen towel in the bottom of a plastic box and then put your leaves on top and seal the box. This makes them last a few extra days.

Do you put in the lettuce whole or split it into leaves? I will give this a go I might even try to get a lock and lock that will hold a whole lettuce.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Tupperware do a brill container for storing lettuce which is dome shaped with a grid at the bottom for collecting any moisture and keeping it fresh.

Cheapest option is to look on Ebay under tupperware- if you do get one be careful that you dont lose the grid with other members of the family throwing it out!
  • sairy2005
    sairy2005 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    Pulling the leaves off rather than cutting them helps to stop it going brown. Also wrapping in damp newspaper or kitchen paper helps.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    Do you put in the lettuce whole or split it into leaves? I will give this a go I might even try to get a lock and lock that will hold a whole lettuce.

I usually split it into leaves and make my own mixed salads
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • WiseOldBird_2
    Options
    Lettuces tend to go brown when they are cut with a metal knife. Lakeland sell a 'lettuce' knife which is basically just a serrated edge plastic knife.

Lakeland also sell these green-coloured plastic bags in different sizes which keep all your fruits, salads and vegetables fresher for longer. They really work, I'm converted. And they're reusable. There's some ingredient in the plastic which makes them keep everything fresher for longer. It was carrots I was having problems with, but I can keep them weeks now.

Having said that I don't put my iceberg in them and my iceberg lettuce can last anything up to three weeks - although I never use a metal knife now. Hope this helps.
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Agree with not using metal knife to cut lettuce. However lately have been buying the Romaine lettuce, you usually get 2-3 in a bag, and find that they last ages, just tear the leaves off as you need them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure