RyanAir BS: admin fee of £6/€6 per person/per sector

Options
Jew
Jew Posts: 276 Forumite
edited 5 July 2012 at 5:59PM in Flights, currency & car hire
On the RyanAir site, where it asks you to put in your credit card details, it says:

"Excluding admin fee of £6/€6 per person/per sector (if applicable)"

What do they mean, "if applicable", either they say you're gonna have to pay it, or not. Such schmucks trying to rip people off without explaining it anywhere on the page.

This should be illegal.

scaled.php?server=825&filename=screenshot20120623at195.png&res=landing

Update: The fee can be avoided by buying RyanAir's credit card, but it will also cost you £6! To further add to the scam, the money you put on it is non-refundable, so you have to keep topping it up by awkward amounts if you want to completely use-up the money on it: "minimum load is £150 and the maximum £2,500".

In any case, it is fraudulent that the final price is only visible after entering your card details and making the payment, and that there is no mention on that page who will have to pay the fee, and who will not.

Comments

• NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jew wrote: »
    This should be illegal.
    It soon will be, once Article 19 of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights is enacted in the UK later this year.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They do tell you - you simply can't be bothered to look for it. In fact, you could have easily found an explanation of it much quicker than it took you to write out that post.

Admin Fee - Per passenger/per new one way flight - relates to costs associated with Ryanair's booking system. No fee applies to payments by:
    1. Ryanair Cash Passport holders

As to it becoming illegal - all you will find is the "if applicable" gets removed and it becomes a generic admin fee. Good for the ignorant and lazy, bad for those of us who can (or used to be able to) avoid them.
  • NFH
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Good for the ignorant and lazy, bad for those of us who can (or used to be able to) avoid them.
    Not true. The minority who currently use the free methods of payment are being subsidised by the majority who do not. There is no good reason that this minority should continue to be subsidised by the majority, given that the ability of the minority to pay a lower price exists only to allow Ryanair to advertise a lower fare than the fare most passengers pay.
  • callum9999
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    Not true. The minority who currently use the free methods of payment are being subsidised by the majority who do not. There is no good reason that this minority should continue to be subsidised by the majority, given that the ability of the minority to pay a lower price exists only to allow Ryanair to advertise a lower fare than the fare most passengers pay.

You can disagree with ethics, but it's 100% true.

My main goal is to save as much money as possible when I fly. If that comes at the expense of the ignorant then so be it - they have the choice to book fee-free, not my problem if they don't.

Ditto with banks - my free accounts are largely subsidised by those who pay overdraft charges or leave money in 0.1% accounts. If they choose to do that then it's not my problem.
  • NFH
    Options
    they have the choice to book fee-free, not my problem if they don't.
    No, they don't always have the choice. The lead time to obtaining a Ryanair Cash Passport prevents many Ryanair customers from avoiding the unreasonable card surcharge.
  • callum9999
    Options
    No, they don't always have the choice. The lead time to obtaining a Ryanair Cash Passport prevents many Ryanair customers from avoiding the unreasonable card surcharge.

Well, for a few people you may be right - but I'm sure most people don't look for flights at the very last minute where they have to book it there and then. And if they did, what they saw in advertisements wouldn't affect them - they'd be booking regardless.

Plus, it's an EU regulation - not UK regulation. In other EU countries you only need a Prepaid Mastercard (my recent Belgian, Greek and Norwegian flights for example all only required the Mastercard) which is very easy to get (I could walk into Town tomorrow and get one there and then).
  • NFH
    Options
    Well, for a few people you may be right - but I'm sure most people don't look for flights at the very last minute where they have to book it there and then. And if they did, what they saw in advertisements wouldn't affect them - they'd be booking regardless.
    I never said they might be looking for flights at the last minute. However, they might reasonably wait until the last minute to decide which airline to fly with. They would not obtain a Ryanair Cash Passport until they have decided to fly with Ryanair rather than another airline. When they reach this point, they are confronted with either waiting days for the Ryanair Cash Passport to arrive in which time the fare will probably rise, or they pay the unreasonable card surcharge. This common scenario demonstrates that the card surcharge is unavoidable for many Ryanair customers.
  • callum9999
    Options
    I never said they might be looking for flights at the last minute. However, they might reasonably wait until the last minute to decide which airline to fly with. They would not obtain a Ryanair Cash Passport until they have decided to fly with Ryanair rather than another airline. When they reach this point, they are confronted with either waiting days for the Ryanair Cash Passport to arrive in which time the fare will probably rise, or they pay the unreasonable card surcharge. This common scenario demonstrates that the card surcharge is unavoidable for many Ryanair customers.

Then they should have ordered the Cash Passport just in case. Choosing not to does not make it "unavoidable". And I'd hardly say it's common to wait until the last minute to choose the airline. I've never heard of anyone doing that, nor can I really think of a good reason as to why you would?
  • NFH
    Options
    Then they should have ordered the Cash Passport just in case. Choosing not to does not make it "unavoidable".
    Then they would pay a £6 charge potentially needlessly. A reasonable consumer would not do so.
  • callum9999
    Options
    Then they would pay a £6 charge potentially needlessly. A reasonable consumer would not do so.

A reasonable consumer wouldn't play out the scenario you described in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure