Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 2,343Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 333
    • lucy_lemon
    • By lucy_lemon 7th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    lucy_lemon
    Haven't posted for ages and ages because all I've been buying is books, but this week has been a good week! Got a Boden green lambswool jumper for £4.99 (it's a man's one, but fits amazingly!) and then today elbowed my husband out of the way to get to what I thought were a pair of Doc Martens. Turned out to be a pair of Church's shoes - grey lace up brogue style ones. They didn't have a price, so I asked and they were £9.99. Similar ones online are over £300!!
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 7th Sep 17, 11:58 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bobsa1
    We've just got back from a family holiday to new York and we did some goodwill thrift shops whilst there (sad I know but much preferred it to the department stores) dd got three pairs of not your daughters jeans for less than 8 dollars each they retail for well over £100 per pair here and I got an unworn Saks of fifth avenue cashmere jumper for 20 dollars, she also got various coca cola vintage glasses and bits for 1 dollar each. Tomorrow I will be shopping in the much less fancy sounding local town back in the uk
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Sep 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 5,262 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I went in the Sense shop yesterday as I was looking for a grey across the body bag as I get pain in my wrists and find them easier to use. I found one in the shop for £2! I was really happy. I was looking for grey specifically as I have some newish grey shoes.

I also got a few M&S cardigans, one was a grey, long waterfall style cardi and it was only £3. It probably would be about £25 in the shop.

Then an M and S Scandinavian looking patterned lambs wool jumper for me. It's a mans one as I get sick of tops being too short in the body.
    Originally posted by Frith
    I have that problem too and I often have to wear men's tops and shirts as I have a long body.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Am loving catching up on this thread! Haven't properly got back into the OS boards since I was unjustly PPR'd, I just haven't had enough time to properly digest until now.

But, I have had plenty of chazzer bargains in between. I must have bought at least 30 books since mid-August

3 impromptu chazzer trips have been particularly memorable. One was Barnardos a couple of weeks ago, selling old Barnardos Christmas stock - bought some beautiful ribboned and jewelled cardboard gift boxes (suitable for jewellery items) in gold and black for 39p each. Original price £2.99. I find it really odd (but most fortuitous ) to find that whilst Christmas seems to have landed in retail-land, these items are reduced to clear

At the next shop I found 2 worn but usable Frozen jigsaws, for 10p each. That will keep my DN amused for about 1/2 an hour.

Last Friday afternoon I popped into a local bank and then visited the chazzer next door. I didn't look round the whole shop, just at the books...and as I was paying for them I noticed some aluminium tripods / easels amongst the bric-a-brac. After debating what they were for, I decided they would be perfect iPad stands (aside from BBC, it's near impossible to stream other mainstream channels onto Apple TV ) so I bought all 3 for £1 each. Difficult to describe but I the nearest pic I can find is pasted below, mine are far heavier and sturdier. Handy to save DN's eyesight as she has a habit of holding the tablet just shy of her nose.

After which I looked down at the jewellery counter below and found a BN miniature statue of something I had been after for a while, for just £1. I was absolutely overjoyed with this.

On Sunday I decided to walk home after a family lunch out. I took the "long route" and ventured past a small high street, where all the chazzers were open. I ended up buying 3 beautiful smart dresses for DN for when she is much older, and an official Disney Minnie Mouse onesie - complete with ears on the hood - which although big she can start wearing now. Happy days: total spend £11.25.

Oh yes - when I popped back to the bank on Tuesday I stopped in the local CRUK and was thrilled to find a book I wanted by the renowned neuropsychiatrist Oliver Sacks. It had been on my P'interest wish list for a while

Finally, a negative note, the Crypt charity shop on Whitechapel High Street is seriously overpriced. I use book prices as a benchmark, then bric-a-brac, then clothing, and this was silly on all 3 counts. It was selling stuff that could be found BN in Poundland for much more than that! If it sells, fine - but I would suggest that if you wish to support this charity you donate directly.
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 08-09-2017 at 9:14 AM.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 17,658 Posts
    • 44,967 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Welcome back, VFM.

I'm back too - but home from holidays.

The day before we went I bought a Dotty Perks orange sleeveless blouse to go with the trousers mentioned here (which weren't a charity shop bargain but in Per Una sale):

I've been on a mission to find a top to go with these ^^^^ trousers.
    Flower pattern with a base of very pale pink and lots of different colours including burnt orange, khaki, cobalt blue, teal and bright pink.
    I wanted burnt orange and finally found a Next sleeveless top in silky jersey with a chiffon yoke back and front.
    Absolutely perfect and only £1 from Save the Children.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    It's orange with a neckline that has appliqued 'jewelled' leaf and round stones that is about an inch deep - looks like it is hand done.
    Even my OH remarked 'WOW! I bet that was expensive when new'.

One of the stones nearest the neckline appears to have been sewn on in the wrong place so it isn't in line with the others.
    I can't decide whether to take it off and sew it back on again or remove the whole top row of stones. They are quite close to the neckline so may irritate me.
    £3.50.

Plus a BNWT Next dress in navy and green tartan with front pockets and 3/4 sleeves. Perfect for opaque tights and ankle boots.
    Tag says £34.
    £5.00.

And a Lee Child book - 'Make Me' (which went on holiday with us and now could be anywhere as we'd both read it and left it at the accommodation with our other books) . 75p

All from our local hospice shop.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 8th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 5,452 Posts
    • 22,705 Thanks
    Miró
    Wooooo hoo! Got my first bargain for over two weeks

In Age UK in Otley where everything is £1 I found a jersey top in an amethyst colour, elbow length sleeves, sweetheart neckline with dainty beads around it by Pomodoro. Tags still attached with a price tag of £23.90.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • patricia50
    • By patricia50 8th Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    patricia50
    Oh my goodness which one? I love love love Lulu Guiness and often buy at outlet (which is money saving!!) only managed to get one of her charity made for house of Fraser bags in a charity shop
    Originally posted by Sparklytori
    Sorry I'm only just replying but hadn't been able to log in for a while. It's a black straw look one with embroidered flowers on the front
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Went a bit mad this morning but got some brilliant bargains. A lined linen Per Una jacket for £1, 3 silicone madeleine trays for £1, a halogen oven / cooling rack for 50p, 2*2L nearly new plastic jugs with fitted lids for 20p each (summer picnicware that is being sold off at "clearance" prices in shops for far more!), and 2 silicone ice moulds (spoons and citrus segments) for 50p. I came back happy

And of course the obligatory books, just 6 on this occasion

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 9th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,767 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Went on a bit of a spree today as I needed new work clothes!

Bargains today include:
    An oasis lace top for £3.50
    A new missguided long sleeve black top for £3.50
    A warehouse long-sleeve stripy top with button details for £3.50
    A pair of nearly new outdoor walking trousers for OH for £3.50
    A new M&S shirt £4
    A merino wool M&S jumper £5
    A Jamie Oliver cookbook & Hairy Dieters cookbook for 50p each
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 9th Sep 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bobsa1
    Dh and I went pyo raspberry picking but due to heavy shower popped in to a cs. I got a pair of wide, full length interlined curtains that would of cost £100s to have made for £15 they have the dry cleaning receipt with them so are all clean and fresh. I also got dd a pair of Johnnie b Biden leather ankle boots with hardly any wear for £5. Very pleased with my bargains and we also managed to get the raspberries
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 17,658 Posts
    • 44,967 Thanks
    Pollycat
    M&S linen mix cardigan in lime with 3/4 sleeves with a lovely crocheted yoke, placket and bottom of the sleeves.Yoke and sleeves are embellished with beads and the 3 buttons are crochet covered.

£2.00 local hospice shop
    • Miró
    • By Miró 11th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 5,452 Posts
    • 22,705 Thanks
    Miró
    Wheeeeee....back in the swing of it after a couple of very lean weeks

Today's trip to the Martin House Childrens Hospice shop found me a pair of knee high leather boots for £9. Brand new, still had the cardboard leg shaper thingies in and the toes stuffed with tissue paper. They are a very dark navy, almost black and are just perfect to go with a very dark navy coat that I got in an M & S 'end of sale' sale a few months ago. Half a size too big but nothing a thick pair of tights won't sort out. I couldn't see the make in the shop but now having searched inside with the aid of a torch I can see that they are Miss K G by Kurt Geiger so must have been fairly expensive! Before I spotted the boots I had picked up a nice quality Cotton Traders cream sweatshirt with a scoopy neck, in as new condition for £1.50. So happy
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 17,658 Posts
    • 44,967 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Wheeeeee....back in the swing of it after a couple of very lean weeks

Today's trip to the Martin House Childrens Hospice shop found me a pair of knee high leather boots for £9. Brand new, still had the cardboard leg shaper thingies in and the toes stuffed with tissue paper. They are a very dark navy, almost black and are just perfect to go with a very dark navy coat that I got in an M & S 'end of sale' sale a few months ago. Half a size too big but nothing a thick pair of tights won't sort out. I couldn't see the make in the shop but now having searched inside with the aid of a torch I can see that they are Miss K G by Kurt Geiger so must have been fairly expensive! Before I spotted the boots I had picked up a nice quality Cotton Traders cream sweatshirt with a scoopy neck, in as new condition for £1.50. So happy
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Great bargain.

I saw a pair of Clarks knee-high boots, unworn in the hospice shop but they were too big. Size 4 and I wear socks with size 3.
    But they would have been too high in the leg anyway. £12 and a great bargain for some lucky lady.
    Also saw a lovely pair of Clarks ankle boots in the Sue Ryder shop but they were a size 5.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    ADon't you just hate it when you can see someone has had a clear out and they have the same impeccable taste as you but they're two sizes smaller or larger or in my case 6 inches shorter!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Sep 17, 8:32 AM
    • 23,240 Posts
    • 48,567 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Popped into a local charity shop today that is always busy, because of its ridiculously low prices (I have another of the same charity equidistant to me that is just silly with its prices). I headed for the books at the far end end of the shop, caught the eye of another customer en-route and returned his beaming smile.

I selected 3 humourous books for £1, and waited patiently in the queue, which gave me plenty of time to appraise the bric-a-brac. The same man was looking at some glasses and asked my opinion, which was positive. I then spied a giant mug and was debating the purpose with him - he felt it was decorative, I wanted it for tea! - and left it at that. A minute later I had a tap on the shoulder, this same chap handed me the following ceramic travel mug, a bit dusty but otherwise in perfect condition:

At 10p I couldn't resist

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 17,658 Posts
    • 44,967 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A pair of navy M&S exercise trousers (not leggings) £1.00 Air Ambulance. I'll wear these round the house as they're very comfy. Would also be good for travelling.

Also Air Ambulance was selling last year's Christmas cards for £1 a pack.
    I bought 3 packs and am on a mission to get some more for my sister.

A M&S Autograph Weekend tunic in navy and grey stripes with a red hem and bottom of sleeves. Cotton & cashmere, very soft. £3.30 Age UK. Looks great with opaque tights and ankle boots.
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 13th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Some great finds as usual Pollycat
    365 day penny challenge - £126.00/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £120.00/£1000 Stage 1
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 11,207 Posts
    • 215,828 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've been taking advantage of being on annual leave to visit a charity shop which sells everything at 50p. I can't normally get there on a weekday as it closes before I can get down there, and it's mobbed on Saturdays, for obvious reasons.

They have a lot of also-rans but also some real gems among the tired ex-primarche clothing. This week, I have bought a pair of Next lined white linen trousers, which will look divine with a summer top and sandals (they've been put away for next summer), a Per Una embroidered tunic-length blouse in a muted barely-there pink, several pairs of linen trousers in useful hues like navy and chocolate brown and my current favourite thing, a Hobbs gossamer-fine silvery-grey cardi in a mohair/ wool blend which is lacy and had bead detailing and is very warm but unbulky. For some bizarre reason it was racked with the nightwear........

Some of these things will be getting outings at the t'office next week and I am in expectation of compliments.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Sep 17, 8:31 AM
    • 17,658 Posts
    • 44,967 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The Hobbs cardi sounds beautiful.
    Somebody probably thought it was a bed jacket.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 5,262 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm going to look in the CS shop today when I drop off my donation. I am going to look for a couple of scruffy teddy bears for my dog to rip up. I remove the eyes first so she can't choke on them. It makes me feel a bit mean to the poor teddies, but they last as long as a proper dog toy and she loves them.

I will also look at the books in the shop as I keep spending too much money on books for my kindle! I prefer non-fiction but they don't usually have a great selection in CS. Hopefully I will be lucky.

Popped into a local charity shop today that is always busy, because of its ridiculously low prices (I have another of the same charity equidistant to me that is just silly with its prices).
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Which shop is that? I think you said on here that the Spitalfields crypt shop was expensive? Sorry if I sound like a stalker, lol, but I thought I might take a wander up the district line to look at the CS round that area in the next couple of months.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,863Posts Today

9,140Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin