PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• patricia50
    Options
    Price is most important. Many shops have ridiculous prices. Items arranged in size not colour is much easier to find things you like that fit. Clean and tidy but not too smart, or bargains seem to be rare.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    patricia50 wrote: »
    Price is most important. Many shops have ridiculous prices. Items arranged in size not colour is much easier to find things you like that fit. Clean and tidy but not too smart, or bargains seem to be rare.

Totally agree with you about being not too smart.
    In a town near us I don't even go into a couple of CS as the bags are padded out, lined up at nice angles with maybe shoes in the same colour next to them, and a coordinating scarf draped over.......but the bag (not leather) is £4.99+:eek::eek::eek:

I like CS where bags are in baskets or on a hook type rail (can you tell, I like buying handbags-cheap good ones!)

Our best CS also have themed weeks in the window too, eg St Davids Day (I'm in Wales!) or Mothers Day, 1st day of Autumn........rust, green, brown clothes, bags & bric a brac, and a scattering of dried leaves around.
    Also-depending on the theme of the window, they seem to have a colour coordinated piece of material they lay on the window sill to start the window display-pink/ red on Valentines day, with cut out pink paper hearts scattered.

I want to work in a CS now!!!!
    :j
  • ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    One thing is room for wheelchairs to get around. Another reason for not having the very high rails is if you're in a wheelchair you can't reach.

I was turned out of a Cancer Research shop for daring to go in in a mobility scooter, the staff member said that I was brushing past the stock so I had to go. So be nice to the disabled too!

Ailz
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is b**dy awful, and in a charity shop too:eek:
    That's why we have the disability discrimination act.
    xxx
    :j
  • Swampmonster
    Options
    Frith wrote: »
    Shereen, I've thought of some more!

If there are mannequins in the window, some charity shops have the price tags hanging down the back so you can see whether the clothes on the mannequin would fit you. (They write the size on in large figures.

Brilliant idea Frith!

I have a pet peeve with one local shop who all credit to them have amazing coordinated window displays but won't sell anything out of the window.

Seems pretty pointless. I was in there one day and a young lad wanted to buy a teddy bear with a heart out of their Valentine's day window display as a present on the day for his girlfriend but they wouldn't sell it till after valentines day when they had changed the window display. They lost a sale that day and it happens in that shop alot so lots of much needed funds lost.

The same shop also never say thank you for donations and quite often scowl like you are putting them out. It's not on. Manners cost nothing.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The same shop also never say thank you for donations and quite often scowl like you are putting them out. It's not on. Manners cost nothing.

A national charity lost my donations because I once took 2 large bags of good quality clothes (M&S, Next etc very lightly worn) and asked the woman at the till where I should put them.

She said something like 'over there out of the way'.

I said 'Tell you what, it would suit me better if I left them with Save the Children over the road', I picked up the bags and walked out.
    They have never got any of my donations since then, they all go to my local hospice shop who are unfailingly polite and grateful.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Trip to Ludlow today and a rare trip to Tenbury!

British Heart Foundation (I think - in the market square?) in Ludlow got me some Per Una work trousers. Rather overpriced as Ludlow has a tendency to be, at £7.

Went to Oxfam and some just ordinary men's jumpers were £18 - £20!

Then to Tenbury for the library and into Sue Ryder where I got a Regatta small man's coat for bigger son for £5.

And a Sainsburys TU flowing sort of tunic top, dark blue with red and white circle print for £4.50.
  • MoaningMyrtle
    Options
    For me it is price every time, the Cancer Research shops near me had £1.00 sales recently and they were packed with customers.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • lucy_lemon
    Options
    My charity shop bargain for this month is probably the unit we had delivered this morning. We've been after something to replace a scruffy bookcase/drawers combo for ages and finally found something! It's a mid century G Plan dresser/side board unit in teak. I was a bit so so about it at first, then realised it had a cocktail cabinet on the side and would be perfect to display my Pyrex collection! And it was only £30 :j
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    Frith wrote: »
    Trip to Ludlow today and a rare trip to Tenbury!

British Heart Foundation (I think - in the market square?) in Ludlow got me some Per Una work trousers. Rather overpriced as Ludlow has a tendency to be, at £7.

Went to Oxfam and some just ordinary men's jumpers were £18 - £20!

Then to Tenbury for the library and into Sue Ryder where I got a Regatta small man's coat for bigger son for £5.

And a Sainsburys TU flowing sort of tunic top, dark blue with red and white circle print for £4.50.

I've given up looking for bargains in Ludlow - far too expensive for me!
    I've had some excellent stuff from Sue Ryder shop in Tenbury though and always call in when I'm in the area.
    Normal people worry me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport