Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    trudij
    Parking Eye - Always a scam??
    • 28th Jan 12, 8:02 PM
    Parking Eye - Always a scam?? 28th Jan 12 at 8:02 PM
    Ive got a letter/invoice from this lot today, and reading on here about them - im not sure if i should pay up or ignore...

Basically, they have got me as arriving at a hotel at one time, and leaving 4 1/2 hours later (fair cop - I was late leaving cos i didnt keep a good enough eye on the time) I paid for 4 hours parking (by phone, so no ticket) and wasted 20 mins attempting to register to use the phone pay system (didnt have enough change for the car park!) not that it makes any difference to the fact that i was late out!!

this letter/invoice ive got says that i was in a private car park and either didnt buy a ticket or overstayed my welcome and to cough up £90 by Feb 8th or it will go up to £120.

This is fair enough - I read the sign, thought I was ok, forgot the time at the party I was at - and left late.

BUT

Everything I have read on here (even when people have been late leaving and admit to being late out) says to ignore these letters and it will all just go away eventually??

so which should I do?? (besides take a lot more notice of the time in future) I cant afford the £90, let alone £120 - so if its "pay up and learn" then i need to do that sooner rather than later...

please help someone stupid!!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Page 1
  • taffy056
    • 28th Jan 12, 8:13 PM
    • 28th Jan 12, 8:13 PM
    Far from being stupid you have come to the right place for advice, and the advice is to ignore parking cry completely, this is clearly a penalty and not a reflection of losses incurred, a private company cannot issue penalties unless acting for a council, and they are not in this case, are they ?

Read the sticky threads and educate yourself to the scam that private parking companies do, they are full bluster and crap, and they don't do court, and when they do they lose 99.9% of the time, the scam relies on people panicking and being model British citizens , meaning that people cough up as that is what people are taught to do here, so using a very Brit trait against you. Just beleive what you read here it is a scam, and the advice is to ignore unless signed stamped court papers arrive.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 28th Jan 12, 8:19 PM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 5,655 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 28th Jan 12, 8:19 PM
    • 28th Jan 12, 8:19 PM
    Its nearly two years since Parking Eye last sent me a threat, so I reckon the chances of anything else are pretty slim.

Just ignore
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 28th Jan 12, 9:33 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    • 28th Jan 12, 9:33 PM
    • 28th Jan 12, 9:33 PM
    The most you owe them is a further half hour's parking - that is all they can legitimately ask you for. And that stance is backed up by a recent court case (even though that alone does not make it case law). But you should still ignore them and not pay - the will give up. And they ought to owe you half an hour if their payment mechanism is so cumbersome it takes 20 minutes to do so .
    • Sir Roger deLodger
    • By Sir Roger deLodger 28th Jan 12, 10:08 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Sir Roger deLodger
    • 28th Jan 12, 10:08 PM
    • 28th Jan 12, 10:08 PM
    Parking Eye - Always a scam??

Yes.
  • bluelight
    • 28th Jan 12, 10:11 PM
    • 28th Jan 12, 10:11 PM
    Parking Eye did take someone to court in connection with one of their PCNs.... and got crucified by the judge. They ended up nearly £4k out of pocket. I understand they're still smarting from that one and do not appear, as yet, to have lodged an appeal against the judgement.
  • bluelight
    • 28th Jan 12, 10:15 PM
    • 28th Jan 12, 10:15 PM
    The most you owe them is a further half hour's parking - that is all they can legitimately ask you for. And that stance is backed up by a recent court case (even though that alone does not make it case law). But you should still ignore them and not pay - the will give up. And they ought to owe you half an hour if their payment mechanism is so cumbersome it takes 20 minutes to do so .
    Originally posted by The Slithy Tove
    Is this the same case I am referring to in my post? If so, Parking Eye deserved everything they got. The judge who heard the case should be hailed as a hero.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 28th Jan 12, 11:24 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 28th Jan 12, 11:24 PM
    • 28th Jan 12, 11:24 PM
    The only time Parking Eye isn't a scam is when they try to collect the genuine losses, which most of the time is zero.

But then didn't someone once get sent a letter from Parking Eye saying that the amount outstanding is zero?

Got to love pay-by-phone parking, normally involves a 0845 number (which for mobile phones can be costly), and takes ages to try and register, and you get hit with extra fees on top.
  • Ich
    • 29th Jan 12, 12:25 AM
    • 29th Jan 12, 12:25 AM
    My son got one yesterday from this lot, which is being ignored by us.
    He was talking with his friends today and they are plotting all going to park there and get tickets with the intention of screwing them around with the admin costs.

I'm actually part hoping I get one whilst working on one of these sites as I can then legally cause all sorts of problems for the businesses involved!! (As I can for councils anyway)
  • taffy056
    But remember that a council PCN is enforceable , so not to be messed around and should be appealed properly and in certain time frames.
  • trudij
    You lot are fab, thankyou! It was a hotel car park that parking eye run as a pad one, so I presume I am safe to ignore it and see what happens then.... Parasites!!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
  • vax2002
    Have a folder of them here, I could buy a small country if I added up all the "charges"
    Never paid them a penny, never will.
    I have a very strict policy with anyone who makes immediate threats of court action on any bill.
    Put up or shut up and never threaten me, I will see any hand of cards you claim to have in court.
    Funny enough, they never takes you up the challenge, they always throw the hand in when you call them out.
    You call them out by IGNORING THEM and ignoring all the silly fake letters that follow.

A good top tip to bear in mind with any PPC scam is the very few people they have sued in court all have one thing in common, they have all signed some paper work sent to them by the PPC Company and given them conformation of a name.
    They may know your name, but without you ever confirming that with them they dont have anyone to sue !
    Last edited by vax2002; 29-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.
  • taffy056
    You lot are fab, thankyou! It was a hotel car park that parking eye run as a pad one, so I presume I am safe to ignore it and see what happens then.... Parasites!!!
    Originally posted by trudij
    Parasites is a very accurate description of these companies and yes it's safe to ignore parking cry , they won't go further than threatograms from them and their tame debt collectors and useless solicitors.
  • robredz
    Parking Eye, are best ignored, then they will go away eventually.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 29th Jan 12, 2:45 PM
    • 12,434 Posts
    • 7,813 Thanks
    arcon5
    Parking Eye did take someone to court in connection with one of their PCNs.... and got crucified by the judge. They ended up nearly £4k out of pocket. I understand they're still smarting from that one and do not appear, as yet, to have lodged an appeal against the judgement.
    Originally posted by bluelight
    What case was that, out of curiosity?
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 29th Jan 12, 2:58 PM
    • 8,813 Posts
    • 13,316 Thanks
    trisontana
    What case was that, out of curiosity?
    Originally posted by arcon5
    This one:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3648411&highlight=parking+eye+los e
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • hammer68
    hi all

overstayed my welcome in a pizza hut car park on saturday night by 20 mins, only allowed to stay for 2 hours by parking eye. now going to wait for the begging letters like i am with ukpc at the moment(up to 2nd letter from debt recovery plus), mrs thinks i am on a mission to !!!! off every parking company.

also wound up the spotty waiter by telling him the notice of a parking fine if you dont log your car reg with them is illegal and all he could say was the police have checked it and it was all ok. nearly broke a rib laughing so hard
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 29th Jan 12, 9:20 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    Kite2010
    I hope that is a branch of Pizza Hut which won't be seeing your custom again.
  • stewieg
    This is an invoice and not a penalty charge. log onto you tube and watch the clips on watchdog about parking charges. Also, no matter what they say or send, they are bullies trying to intimidate you into paying. They think that by sending threatening letters that people will pay, you need to be strong, dig your heels in and ignore them. they will evenually leave you alone.
    Also, if they threaten you with baliffs then this must go through a court for them to do this which will cost them and not you money. debt collectors are just as bad and scum who try to get money out of people but have no legal right to do this.
    • fil cad
    • By fil cad 30th Jan 12, 8:24 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    fil cad
    Just treat there pocksy letters as you would SPAM from the nigerian scammers some people get in there emails, PPCs robbing tactics are interbred with them and must be ALLWAYS IGNORED they are the scum and filth of the earth and have got away with it for far to long, spread the word about this site and help get rid of the filthy money sucking paracites
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,094Users online

Martin's Twitter