IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking Eye - Always a scam??
Views: 25,695
# 1
trudij
Old 28-01-2012, 8:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to trudij Send a message via Yahoo to trudij Send a message via Skype™ to trudij
Default Parking Eye - Always a scam??

Ive got a letter/invoice from this lot today, and reading on here about them - im not sure if i should pay up or ignore...

Basically, they have got me as arriving at a hotel at one time, and leaving 4 1/2 hours later (fair cop - I was late leaving cos i didnt keep a good enough eye on the time) I paid for 4 hours parking (by phone, so no ticket) and wasted 20 mins attempting to register to use the phone pay system (didnt have enough change for the car park!) not that it makes any difference to the fact that i was late out!!

this letter/invoice ive got says that i was in a private car park and either didnt buy a ticket or overstayed my welcome and to cough up 90 by Feb 8th or it will go up to 120.

This is fair enough - I read the sign, thought I was ok, forgot the time at the party I was at - and left late.

BUT

Everything I have read on here (even when people have been late leaving and admit to being late out) says to ignore these letters and it will all just go away eventually??

so which should I do?? (besides take a lot more notice of the time in future) I cant afford the 90, let alone 120 - so if its "pay up and learn" then i need to do that sooner rather than later...

please help someone stupid!!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
taffy056
Old 28-01-2012, 8:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Far from being stupid you have come to the right place for advice, and the advice is to ignore parking cry completely, this is clearly a penalty and not a reflection of losses incurred, a private company cannot issue penalties unless acting for a council, and they are not in this case, are they ?

Read the sticky threads and educate yourself to the scam that private parking companies do, they are full bluster and crap, and they don't do court, and when they do they lose 99.9% of the time, the scam relies on people panicking and being model British citizens , meaning that people cough up as that is what people are taught to do here, so using a very Brit trait against you. Just beleive what you read here it is a scam, and the advice is to ignore unless signed stamped court papers arrive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
pogofish
Old 28-01-2012, 8:19 PM

Its nearly two years since Parking Eye last sent me a threat, so I reckon the chances of anything else are pretty slim.

Just ignore
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pogofish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
The Slithy Tove
Old 28-01-2012, 9:33 PM

The most you owe them is a further half hour's parking - that is all they can legitimately ask you for. And that stance is backed up by a recent court case (even though that alone does not make it case law). But you should still ignore them and not pay - the will give up. And they ought to owe you half an hour if their payment mechanism is so cumbersome it takes 20 minutes to do so .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Slithy Tove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Sir Roger deLodger
Old 28-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Parking Eye - Always a scam??

Yes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sir Roger deLodger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bluelight
Old 28-01-2012, 10:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Parking Eye did take someone to court in connection with one of their PCNs.... and got crucified by the judge. They ended up nearly 4k out of pocket. I understand they're still smarting from that one and do not appear, as yet, to have lodged an appeal against the judgement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluelight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
bluelight
Old 28-01-2012, 10:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slithy Tove View Post
The most you owe them is a further half hour's parking - that is all they can legitimately ask you for. And that stance is backed up by a recent court case (even though that alone does not make it case law). But you should still ignore them and not pay - the will give up. And they ought to owe you half an hour if their payment mechanism is so cumbersome it takes 20 minutes to do so .
Is this the same case I am referring to in my post? If so, Parking Eye deserved everything they got. The judge who heard the case should be hailed as a hero.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluelight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Kite2010
Old 28-01-2012, 11:24 PM

The only time Parking Eye isn't a scam is when they try to collect the genuine losses, which most of the time is zero.

But then didn't someone once get sent a letter from Parking Eye saying that the amount outstanding is zero?

Got to love pay-by-phone parking, normally involves a 0845 number (which for mobile phones can be costly), and takes ages to try and register, and you get hit with extra fees on top.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kite2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Ich
Old 29-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My son got one yesterday from this lot, which is being ignored by us.
He was talking with his friends today and they are plotting all going to park there and get tickets with the intention of screwing them around with the admin costs.

I'm actually part hoping I get one whilst working on one of these sites as I can then legally cause all sorts of problems for the businesses involved!! (As I can for councils anyway)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
taffy056
Old 29-01-2012, 7:12 AM

But remember that a council PCN is enforceable , so not to be messed around and should be appealed properly and in certain time frames.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
trudij
Old 29-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to trudij Send a message via Yahoo to trudij Send a message via Skype™ to trudij

You lot are fab, thankyou! It was a hotel car park that parking eye run as a pad one, so I presume I am safe to ignore it and see what happens then.... Parasites!!!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
vax2002
Old 29-01-2012, 10:30 AM

Have a folder of them here, I could buy a small country if I added up all the "charges"
Never paid them a penny, never will.
I have a very strict policy with anyone who makes immediate threats of court action on any bill.
Put up or shut up and never threaten me, I will see any hand of cards you claim to have in court.
Funny enough, they never takes you up the challenge, they always throw the hand in when you call them out.
You call them out by IGNORING THEM and ignoring all the silly fake letters that follow.

A good top tip to bear in mind with any PPC scam is the very few people they have sued in court all have one thing in common, they have all signed some paper work sent to them by the PPC Company and given them conformation of a name.
They may know your name, but without you ever confirming that with them they dont have anyone to sue !

Last edited by vax2002; 29-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
taffy056
Old 29-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudij View Post
You lot are fab, thankyou! It was a hotel car park that parking eye run as a pad one, so I presume I am safe to ignore it and see what happens then.... Parasites!!!
Parasites is a very accurate description of these companies and yes it's safe to ignore parking cry , they won't go further than threatograms from them and their tame debt collectors and useless solicitors.
# 14
robredz
Old 29-01-2012, 1:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Parking Eye, are best ignored, then they will go away eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to robredz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
arcon5
Old 29-01-2012, 2:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelight View Post
Parking Eye did take someone to court in connection with one of their PCNs.... and got crucified by the judge. They ended up nearly 4k out of pocket. I understand they're still smarting from that one and do not appear, as yet, to have lodged an appeal against the judgement.
What case was that, out of curiosity?
# 16
trisontana
Old 29-01-2012, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcon5 View Post
What case was that, out of curiosity?
This one:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...rking+eye+lose
I am an "internet guru" (copyright Stephan Hall @ UKCPS)
The Following User Says Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
hammer68
Old 29-01-2012, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi all

overstayed my welcome in a pizza hut car park on saturday night by 20 mins, only allowed to stay for 2 hours by parking eye. now going to wait for the begging letters like i am with ukpc at the moment(up to 2nd letter from debt recovery plus), mrs thinks i am on a mission to !!!! off every parking company.

also wound up the spotty waiter by telling him the notice of a parking fine if you dont log your car reg with them is illegal and all he could say was the police have checked it and it was all ok. nearly broke a rib laughing so hard
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hammer68 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Kite2010
Old 29-01-2012, 9:20 PM

I hope that is a branch of Pizza Hut which won't be seeing your custom again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kite2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
stewieg
Old 30-01-2012, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

This is an invoice and not a penalty charge. log onto you tube and watch the clips on watchdog about parking charges. Also, no matter what they say or send, they are bullies trying to intimidate you into paying. They think that by sending threatening letters that people will pay, you need to be strong, dig your heels in and ignore them. they will evenually leave you alone.
Also, if they threaten you with baliffs then this must go through a court for them to do this which will cost them and not you money. debt collectors are just as bad and scum who try to get money out of people but have no legal right to do this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stewieg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
fil cad
Old 30-01-2012, 8:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just treat there pocksy letters as you would SPAM from the nigerian scammers some people get in there emails, PPCs robbing tactics are interbred with them and must be ALLWAYS IGNORED they are the scum and filth of the earth and have got away with it for far to long, spread the word about this site and help get rid of the filthy money sucking paracites
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fil cad For This Useful Post: Show me >>