Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • misslee1888
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:25 AM
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:25 AM
    Looks like this company are selling iPad 2s really cheap. To be honest looks too good to be true, but I'm still tempted. !

Ipad2 3G wifi 64gb - 429
    Ipad2 3G wifi 32gb - 401.59
    Ipad2 3G witi 16gb - 390.20

They have first generation iPads as well.

Edited by misslee1888 *I've removed the link as it is a scam site, see the post below. Site is baymobile .co . uk *AVOID*
    Last edited by misslee1888; 04-01-2012 at 3:11 AM. Reason: Removed hyperlink, scam website
  • misslee1888
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:49 AM
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:49 AM
    Sorry guys, just found this link, looks like it was too good to be true after all:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3698429
  • callumwa
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:52 AM
    Cheap iPad 2 wifi 16 gb
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:52 AM
    at makro,

if you buy with a neoprene case it is 299.99 + vat, and the case is 14.99 + vat.

That makes the ipad 359.99 and 17.97 for the case....

so 378 for an iPad 2 wifi 16gb with case
    • smerch1468
    • By smerch1468 4th Jan 12, 8:14 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    smerch1468
    • 4th Jan 12, 8:14 AM
    • 4th Jan 12, 8:14 AM
    Buying a ipad2 with 3g is a waste of money imo. Its far better to tether to your mobile phone and use the data allowances within that contract although it is frowned up by the mobile phone companies, there is no way of them telling you are hooking up a tablet to your mobile phone.

I'm not a Ipad fan, bought a Samsung galaxy tab on ebay for 270 and its brilliant.
    • parkview094
    • By parkview094 4th Jan 12, 8:29 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    parkview094
    • 4th Jan 12, 8:29 AM
    • 4th Jan 12, 8:29 AM
    Ipad Data Tarrif alternative - don't forget the "Three" 3Gb PAYG SIMS available from Amazon for around 12 each. The PAYG sim lasts up to 3 months so you're effectively getting 1GB/Data/Month for only 4pm. These have been as cheap as 8 on Amazon and they don't seem to expire... I bought 18months worth on my last purchase - all are going strong.
  • iceman
    • 4th Jan 12, 8:53 AM
    • 4th Jan 12, 8:53 AM
    The 3 deals are cheaper through Carphone Warehouse. 199 for 16gb 3G with 15gb data allowance. You can also get quidco cash back on this (15 when I did it I think). Making the total 784 over 24 months, plus much higher data allowance than the best in the article.

It's showing out of stock at the moment though...
    • mertonwall
    • By mertonwall 4th Jan 12, 9:54 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mertonwall
    • 4th Jan 12, 9:54 AM
    Channel Island trip?
    • 4th Jan 12, 9:54 AM
    Cheapest place to buy an iPad 2 is in the Channel Islands. Only 5% GST (VAT equivalent) in Jersey and 0% in Guernsey. IQ shops are in both islands, but no internet sales. Picked up my 64GB wifi for 488 instead of 559. There is a 390 limit on importing goods in to the UK from outside the EU (details on the hmrc website) if you declare your purchases! But that does mean the 16GB wifi model is available for 333 to 350 with no customs worries.

Obviously you'll only save money if you're travelling to the islands anyway. Flights or ferries would probably cancel out any savings otherwise.

I agree with Smerch1468. Don't bother with the 3G model. Internet tethering with your mobile phone, or "personal hotspot" on an iPhone is the best way and up to three devices can use your "hotspot".
    • Chorlie
    • By Chorlie 4th Jan 12, 11:15 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    Chorlie
    • 4th Jan 12, 11:15 AM
    • 4th Jan 12, 11:15 AM
    Ipad Data Tarrif alternative - don't forget the "Three" 3Gb PAYG SIMS available from Amazon for around 12 each. The PAYG sim lasts up to 3 months so you're effectively getting 1GB/Data/Month for only 4pm. These have been as cheap as 8 on Amazon and they don't seem to expire... I bought 18months worth on my last purchase - all are going strong.
    Originally posted by parkview094

I was just going to post the above, it's cheaper than GiffGaff (as quoted in the report) and if last for 3 months so if you only use 2.5Gb a month you can carry the remaining 500mb over to the next month.

Points to note is never use Top-Up, buying a new Sim works out cheaper and if you use Quidco you get 12.50 Cashback (at the moment) so it workout cheaper to buy direct from Three (via Quidco) rather than Amazon.

If you're a low data user than a 1Gb / 1 Month Sim from Three could workout cheaper (again compare Amazon to Three via Quidco).
    • Heather_10
    • By Heather_10 4th Jan 12, 1:00 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Heather_10
    using your mobile data
    my sister in law has an iphone on contract with three with unlimited data and uses her iphone as a thether when away in her caravan on her ipad and doesn't have to worry about the data allowance. i think it does depend on your contract though as I am with vodafone and i cannot tether on my HTC)
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • bigjohnr
    Existing Vodafone Customers
    I got an ipad 3 64GB 3G for 32 a month for 24 months with no upfront cost, they oringally offered me a 16gb for free or 100 for a 64GB, I haggled and got them to waive that cost. They also threw in an apple cover/case and 20 credit. I was offered this as an existing Vodafone customer, this was back in October though...
  • bigjohnr
    I got an ipad 3 64GB 3G for 32 a month for 24 months with no upfront cost, they oringally offered me a 16gb for free or 100 for a 64GB, I haggled and got them to waive that cost. They also threw in an apple cover/case and 20 credit. I was offered this as an existing Vodafone customer, this was back in October though...
    Originally posted by bigjohnr
    oh, that was with a 2GB a month data allowance
  • GarminDave
    3G Data Roaming
    I read with great interest about the iPad2, especially about the roaming data plan.

I have a 16gB with 3G and because I use roaming very infrequently I went for the O2 200mB for 24 hours at 2.02. This allows me for the odd occasion I do not have WiFi and having had the iPad for about three months I have only had to buy two lots of this roaming data and have no contract to worry about.

However reading the article I will look at linking up to my Mobile Phone Data allowance.

Later

Dave
  • Frugal_Ribby
    I've been shopping around for an iPad2 32GB wi-fi only version, and i'm tempted to buy it through amazon. they have what i'm looking for and it's listed at 439.95 + 4.59 s&h for a total of 444.54 making a saving of just over 34. These are 'dispatched and sold' by "good deal4you" they also list as alternates for new a seller called "digigood" who sells it for about 429 so 50 savings over apple. As i've said, i'm tempted and both have lots of positive feedback, but when it comes to shopping online, i'm the type that overly cautious. Has anyone bought an iPad2 from either? is it brand new out the box?

I'd appreciate any comments and feedback, and as a newbie i'll apologise in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong thread.
    • bzd
    • By bzd 4th Jan 12, 1:25 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    bzd
    JANET 3G for HE sector
    Hi,

If you work in the Higher Education sector (research, lecturing, support staff, and possibly students, I can't tell) then JANET 3G is worth a look as an option.

The Pay-As-You-Use SIM only package is good if you are going to be of variable use from month to month (for instance if you don't use it for a whole month it's only 2, and 500GB of use works out at 4 on top of that [well, it's 0.8p / MB so very well matched price to your actual use]).

There are also dongle and MiFi and more contracty-based options too.

Have a look at https://www.aql.com/janet3g/products.php for the details.

I don't use it, but I have a colleague who has a micro-SIM from JANET in his (personal not work) iPad2.

Looking at the blurb, it's possible your institution might need to be signed up to eduroam, but I think that covers most UK universities.

Anyway, just thought I'd let folk know as this isn't a well known option, even in HE circles!

bzd
  • kevhenderson
    Don't forget cashback sites
    I think that you can get 3% cashback via Quidco from Comet. It's not a lot but every little helps.
  • PUMKING
    iPAD2 16GB Wi Fi
    Bought new iPad2 for my Xmas present from Simply Electronics, a site I found online offering this model for 366 with full Apple Guarantee. I ordered it early December 2011 but had to wait due to pressure of demand
    and busy Couriers. However it did come before Xmas by 24 hour Courier
    delivery. They are also offering me a free stick on screen protector to
    apologise. As I had gone through Quidco, Cashback will reduce price further.Also found leather case from Invision for about 25 I think, two sided and corners of iPad click in for safety together with turning off when closed. I am happy bunny.
    Sorry don't know how to do links currently
    • patricia1066
    • By patricia1066 4th Jan 12, 2:24 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    patricia1066
    I've been shopping around for an iPad2 32GB wi-fi only version, and i'm tempted to buy it through amazon. they have what i'm looking for and it's listed at 439.95 + 4.59 s&h for a total of 444.54 making a saving of just over 34. These are 'dispatched and sold' by "good deal4you" they also list as alternates for new a seller called "digigood" who sells it for about 429 so 50 savings over apple. As i've said, i'm tempted and both have lots of positive feedback, but when it comes to shopping online, i'm the type that overly cautious. Has anyone bought an iPad2 from either? is it brand new out the box?

I'd appreciate any comments and feedback, and as a newbie i'll apologise in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong thread.
    Originally posted by Frugal_Ribby
    I bought a Mac Mini 2011 from Digigood and my dealings have been fine with the company. I received a new US model, with a UK power cable separately and my purchase has been successfully registered with Apple in UK. I am very happy with the purchase.

The discount needs to reflect the risk to the purchaser that Digigood will still be trading in a few years time, as your protection under SGA is in relation to the seller, not the manufacturer. At least with Apple any savings can be put towards the Applecare warranty if you want to insure against risk. Applecare costs 69 for the ipad 2 year policy.
  • Mrs Tatts
    iPad2 best deals
    Unfortunately as other users note, the price of iPad's varies very little. However, if you purchase at Join Lewis for the same price as Apple, Argos, Currys etc etc you get a 2 year warranty as standard, compared to the one year offered by other retailers. Definitely worth it!
  • gbm
    alternative 3G for WiFi only Ipad owners
    A couple of alternatives for those who can't really stretch to the price of the 3G enabled version or are unlikely to connect often enough to warrant spending the extra.

1) If you already have a mobile phone that supports WiFi HotSpot (also known as wireless tethering) and your network provider allows it, you could use this as your mobile router.

2) alternatively if you want a mobile broadband specific connection, some operators offer MiFi (Mobile WiFi) devices on contract / Pay as you go. (search for MiFi on three.co.uk website or mobile-wifi on vodafone.co.uk)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,551Posts Today

4,418Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right folks im signing off for the weekend (well until my Sunday road show in Leeds). Have a good one!

• Final results of my tory leadership candidates twitter poll. Huge win for Theresa May, Andrea Leadsom distant 2nd https://t.co/jJxozPYFhi

• Ta for the regular stream of similar tweets. But, again, Id rather wire my nipples to electrodes & not in a good way https://t.co/npo6dvsLjG

• Follow Martin