Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > NEW! Cheapest iPads - article discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
NEW! Cheapest iPads - article discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 46,072
# 1
Former MSE Becca
Old 19-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default NEW! Cheapest iPads - article discussion

This is our old Cheapest iPads discussion. For the latest feedback see our new Cheapest iPads discussion thread.

This is the place to discuss the top iPad offers, as seen in the deals note:

Please note that all these offers are subject to availability as stock is constantly coming and going, so don't hang about if you spot a bargain.

Please click "post reply" to add feedback below or report any other deals you find.

Thanks,
MSE Becca

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 01-11-2013 at 1:52 PM.
# 2
misslee1888
Old 04-01-2012, 2:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy

Looks like this company are selling iPad 2s really cheap. To be honest looks too good to be true, but I'm still tempted. !

Ipad2 3G wifi 64gb - 429
Ipad2 3G wifi 32gb - 401.59
Ipad2 3G witi 16gb - 390.20

They have first generation iPads as well.

Edited by misslee1888 *I've removed the link as it is a scam site, see the post below. Site is baymobile .co . uk *AVOID*

Last edited by misslee1888; 04-01-2012 at 3:11 AM. Reason: Removed hyperlink, scam website
# 3
misslee1888
Old 04-01-2012, 2:49 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy

Sorry guys, just found this link, looks like it was too good to be true after all:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3698429
# 4
callumwa
Old 04-01-2012, 2:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cheap iPad 2 wifi 16 gb

at makro,

if you buy with a neoprene case it is 299.99 + vat, and the case is 14.99 + vat.

That makes the ipad 359.99 and 17.97 for the case....

so 378 for an iPad 2 wifi 16gb with case
# 5
smerch1468
Old 04-01-2012, 8:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Buying a ipad2 with 3g is a waste of money imo. Its far better to tether to your mobile phone and use the data allowances within that contract although it is frowned up by the mobile phone companies, there is no way of them telling you are hooking up a tablet to your mobile phone.

I'm not a Ipad fan, bought a Samsung galaxy tab on ebay for 270 and its brilliant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smerch1468 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
parkview094
Old 04-01-2012, 8:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Ipad Data Tarrif alternative - don't forget the "Three" 3Gb PAYG SIMS available from Amazon for around 12 each. The PAYG sim lasts up to 3 months so you're effectively getting 1GB/Data/Month for only 4pm. These have been as cheap as 8 on Amazon and they don't seem to expire... I bought 18months worth on my last purchase - all are going strong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkview094 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
iceman
Old 04-01-2012, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The 3 deals are cheaper through Carphone Warehouse. 199 for 16gb 3G with 15gb data allowance. You can also get quidco cash back on this (15 when I did it I think). Making the total 784 over 24 months, plus much higher data allowance than the best in the article.

It's showing out of stock at the moment though...
# 8
mertonwall
Old 04-01-2012, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Channel Island trip?

Cheapest place to buy an iPad 2 is in the Channel Islands. Only 5% GST (VAT equivalent) in Jersey and 0% in Guernsey. IQ shops are in both islands, but no internet sales. Picked up my 64GB wifi for 488 instead of 559. There is a 390 limit on importing goods in to the UK from outside the EU (details on the hmrc website) if you declare your purchases! But that does mean the 16GB wifi model is available for 333 to 350 with no customs worries.

Obviously you'll only save money if you're travelling to the islands anyway. Flights or ferries would probably cancel out any savings otherwise.

I agree with Smerch1468. Don't bother with the 3G model. Internet tethering with your mobile phone, or "personal hotspot" on an iPhone is the best way and up to three devices can use your "hotspot".
The Following User Says Thank You to mertonwall For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Chorlie
Old 04-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkview094 View Post
Ipad Data Tarrif alternative - don't forget the "Three" 3Gb PAYG SIMS available from Amazon for around 12 each. The PAYG sim lasts up to 3 months so you're effectively getting 1GB/Data/Month for only 4pm. These have been as cheap as 8 on Amazon and they don't seem to expire... I bought 18months worth on my last purchase - all are going strong.

I was just going to post the above, it's cheaper than GiffGaff (as quoted in the report) and if last for 3 months so if you only use 2.5Gb a month you can carry the remaining 500mb over to the next month.

Points to note is never use Top-Up, buying a new Sim works out cheaper and if you use Quidco you get 12.50 Cashback (at the moment) so it workout cheaper to buy direct from Three (via Quidco) rather than Amazon.

If you're a low data user than a 1Gb / 1 Month Sim from Three could workout cheaper (again compare Amazon to Three via Quidco).
# 10
Heather_10
Old 04-01-2012, 1:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default using your mobile data

my sister in law has an iphone on contract with three with unlimited data and uses her iphone as a thether when away in her caravan on her ipad and doesn't have to worry about the data allowance. i think it does depend on your contract though as I am with vodafone and i cannot tether on my HTC)
Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
The Following User Says Thank You to Heather_10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
bigjohnr
Old 04-01-2012, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Existing Vodafone Customers

I got an ipad 3 64GB 3G for 32 a month for 24 months with no upfront cost, they oringally offered me a 16gb for free or 100 for a 64GB, I haggled and got them to waive that cost. They also threw in an apple cover/case and 20 credit. I was offered this as an existing Vodafone customer, this was back in October though...
# 12
bigjohnr
Old 04-01-2012, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnr View Post
I got an ipad 3 64GB 3G for 32 a month for 24 months with no upfront cost, they oringally offered me a 16gb for free or 100 for a 64GB, I haggled and got them to waive that cost. They also threw in an apple cover/case and 20 credit. I was offered this as an existing Vodafone customer, this was back in October though...
oh, that was with a 2GB a month data allowance
# 13
GarminDave
Old 04-01-2012, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default 3G Data Roaming

I read with great interest about the iPad2, especially about the roaming data plan.

I have a 16gB with 3G and because I use roaming very infrequently I went for the O2 200mB for 24 hours at 2.02. This allows me for the odd occasion I do not have WiFi and having had the iPad for about three months I have only had to buy two lots of this roaming data and have no contract to worry about.

However reading the article I will look at linking up to my Mobile Phone Data allowance.

Later

Dave
# 14
Frugal_Ribby
Old 04-01-2012, 1:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've been shopping around for an iPad2 32GB wi-fi only version, and i'm tempted to buy it through amazon. they have what i'm looking for and it's listed at 439.95 + 4.59 s&h for a total of 444.54 making a saving of just over 34. These are 'dispatched and sold' by "good deal4you" they also list as alternates for new a seller called "digigood" who sells it for about 429 so 50 savings over apple. As i've said, i'm tempted and both have lots of positive feedback, but when it comes to shopping online, i'm the type that overly cautious. Has anyone bought an iPad2 from either? is it brand new out the box?

I'd appreciate any comments and feedback, and as a newbie i'll apologise in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong thread.
# 15
bzd
Old 04-01-2012, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default JANET 3G for HE sector

Hi,

If you work in the Higher Education sector (research, lecturing, support staff, and possibly students, I can't tell) then JANET 3G is worth a look as an option.

The Pay-As-You-Use SIM only package is good if you are going to be of variable use from month to month (for instance if you don't use it for a whole month it's only 2, and 500GB of use works out at 4 on top of that [well, it's 0.8p / MB so very well matched price to your actual use]).

There are also dongle and MiFi and more contracty-based options too.

Have a look at https://www.aql.com/janet3g/products.php for the details.

I don't use it, but I have a colleague who has a micro-SIM from JANET in his (personal not work) iPad2.

Looking at the blurb, it's possible your institution might need to be signed up to eduroam, but I think that covers most UK universities.

Anyway, just thought I'd let folk know as this isn't a well known option, even in HE circles!

bzd
The Following User Says Thank You to bzd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
kevhenderson
Old 04-01-2012, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile Don't forget cashback sites

I think that you can get 3% cashback via Quidco from Comet. It's not a lot but every little helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevhenderson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
PUMKING
Old 04-01-2012, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile iPAD2 16GB Wi Fi

Bought new iPad2 for my Xmas present from Simply Electronics, a site I found online offering this model for 366 with full Apple Guarantee. I ordered it early December 2011 but had to wait due to pressure of demand
and busy Couriers. However it did come before Xmas by 24 hour Courier
delivery. They are also offering me a free stick on screen protector to
apologise. As I had gone through Quidco, Cashback will reduce price further.Also found leather case from Invision for about 25 I think, two sided and corners of iPad click in for safety together with turning off when closed. I am happy bunny.
Sorry don't know how to do links currently
The Following User Says Thank You to PUMKING For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
patricia1066
Old 04-01-2012, 2:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal_Ribby View Post
I've been shopping around for an iPad2 32GB wi-fi only version, and i'm tempted to buy it through amazon. they have what i'm looking for and it's listed at 439.95 + 4.59 s&h for a total of 444.54 making a saving of just over 34. These are 'dispatched and sold' by "good deal4you" they also list as alternates for new a seller called "digigood" who sells it for about 429 so 50 savings over apple. As i've said, i'm tempted and both have lots of positive feedback, but when it comes to shopping online, i'm the type that overly cautious. Has anyone bought an iPad2 from either? is it brand new out the box?

I'd appreciate any comments and feedback, and as a newbie i'll apologise in advance if i'm posting this in the wrong thread.
I bought a Mac Mini 2011 from Digigood and my dealings have been fine with the company. I received a new US model, with a UK power cable separately and my purchase has been successfully registered with Apple in UK. I am very happy with the purchase.

The discount needs to reflect the risk to the purchaser that Digigood will still be trading in a few years time, as your protection under SGA is in relation to the seller, not the manufacturer. At least with Apple any savings can be put towards the Applecare warranty if you want to insure against risk. Applecare costs 69 for the ipad 2 year policy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patricia1066 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Mrs Tatts
Old 04-01-2012, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default iPad2 best deals

Unfortunately as other users note, the price of iPad's varies very little. However, if you purchase at Join Lewis for the same price as Apple, Argos, Currys etc etc you get a 2 year warranty as standard, compared to the one year offered by other retailers. Definitely worth it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Tatts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
gbm
Old 04-01-2012, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default alternative 3G for WiFi only Ipad owners

A couple of alternatives for those who can't really stretch to the price of the 3G enabled version or are unlikely to connect often enough to warrant spending the extra.

1) If you already have a mobile phone that supports WiFi HotSpot (also known as wireless tethering) and your network provider allows it, you could use this as your mobile router.

2) alternatively if you want a mobile broadband specific connection, some operators offer MiFi (Mobile WiFi) devices on contract / Pay as you go. (search for MiFi on three.co.uk website or mobile-wifi on vodafone.co.uk)
The Following User Says Thank You to gbm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread