IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Stardrops: A Users Guide
Views: 149,136
# 1
Angelselondon
Old 18-01-2007, 10:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to Angelselondon Send a message via MSN to Angelselondon
Lightbulb Stardrops: A Users Guide

Saint Stardrops, we applauded your cost effectiveness, we marvel at your multiple uses

Herewith the Gospel according to St Stardrops

Please post your uses to this thread

Last edited by Angelselondon; 19-01-2007 at 8:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to Angelselondon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mumoftwo
Old 18-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Brilliant, I am a newbie and wondered what it looked like and where can I buy it? Is it in the aisle with the cleaning stuff?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mumoftwo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Queenie
Old 19-01-2007, 5:55 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumoftwo
Brilliant, I am a newbie and wondered what it looked like and where can I buy it? Is it in the aisle with the cleaning stuff?
Yes it is
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
isualive
Old 19-01-2007, 7:54 AM

excellent can't wait to get some. Do most supermarkets sell them?
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to isualive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
**purplemoon**
Old 19-01-2007, 8:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's great at cleaning off burnt on food in roasting dishes and trays, who needs fairy power spray when you got stardrops!

But just a word of caution about leaving things to soak for too long (5-10 mins is all it needs) I soaked one of my roasting pans and forgot about it, oooops, so it was on the side all day and when I went to rinse it out some of the non-stick surface also came off

Now I don't know whether stardrops caused this or whether it would have happened anyway after being left to soak for so long, but I'll certainly be more careful in future!

PS I've found it in Savers and Sainsburys so far

Last edited by **purplemoon**; 19-01-2007 at 8:43 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to **purplemoon** For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
clairefun
Old 19-01-2007, 9:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

excellent on glass oven doors, laminate floors, windows, and for shiny sinks and taps. Nice on wood and stained clothing, have successfully used it on my leather sofa for a few months now. I'm not sure there is anything it can't do!

My two year old tried to drink some the night before last. He spent the rest of the evening putting out his tongue and saying yuk - so the bitrex is doing it's job! (It's not poisonous, we rang nhs direct but they said as long as he's behaving normally (well, for him - he's 2!) - & isn't foaming at the mouth he'd be absolutely fine. Foaming can apparantly cause breathing problems as it comes back up from the stomach and can block the airways). APart from the fact he can reach places i was certain he couldn't reach, it hasn't put me off the stuff - it just makes cleaning so much quicker, easier, and cheaper - perfect!
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to clairefun For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
guineapig
Old 19-01-2007, 11:00 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

At the risk of repeating myself, I have used 30 mls Stardrops and 2 ounces of Soda Crystals in my Whites wash at 40deg and they came up lovely and bright! (and I am very fussy about my whites!!)

I also found an empty Fairy Foam bottle ( the stuff that you are supposed to use on baked on grease) I washed out the bottle and added 30 mls of Stardrops and topped with water, then gave it a gentle shake.........

I have already used this lovely amost dry foaming mix to spot clean my carpet and some items of clothing, its pretty good IMO.
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to guineapig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
mumoftwo
Old 19-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Lightbulb

Hi all,

Bought some this morning in Poundstretcher. Wiping down the kids bedrooms with it and it's good. The only thing is, I read that people use it in their bathrooms and on their floors. Stardrops isn't anti-bacterial is it? :confused: (I couldn't see anything on the label) I would like to think my sinks and toilets and floors have been disinfected (even if for a little while)
Didn't know you could use it in the wash. Does it not foam too much?

Any more good tips very welcome...
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mumoftwo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
gooismeid
Old 19-01-2007, 12:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I use it as emergency washing-up liquid and also in the dishwasher when I've run out of tablets (which I cut in half anyway). Only a little splash in the dishwasher, less than a dessertspoonful, otherwise it foams up everywhere and takes ages to get rid of the bubbles!
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to gooismeid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
katglasgow
Old 19-01-2007, 1:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairefun
My two year old tried to drink some the night before last. He spent the rest of the evening putting out his tongue and saying yuk - so the bitrex is doing it's job! (It's not poisonous, we rang nhs direct but they said as long as he's behaving normally (well, for him - he's 2!) - & isn't foaming at the mouth he'd be absolutely fine. Foaming can apparantly cause breathing problems as it comes back up from the stomach and can block the airways). APart from the fact he can reach places i was certain he couldn't reach, it hasn't put me off the stuff - it just makes cleaning so much quicker, easier, and cheaper - perfect!
Actually this is probably my only complaint about stardrops - that it doesnt come in a child safe lid!

I use it for all floors, over doors and again as back up if I run out of w u liquid, clothes liquid etc...
Me debt free thanks to MSE
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to katglasgow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Aril
Old 19-01-2007, 1:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for the washing tip. I use it for washing up and I have a bottle premixed with water that I do my bathroom and kitchen surfaces with. Found it a bit bubbly for washing floors with so have stuck with vinegar. It's made a major saving in my household budget in the year or so I've been buying it [it's cheapest in Wilkos I've found]. My mum's so impressed she's bought some to take out to their recently purchased house in Romania!
Aril
Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Aril For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
helen_caslass
Old 19-01-2007, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to helen_caslass

homebargins have a range stardrops starclean starpine from 62-69p
be loyal, be loud, be cas, be proud

look learn laugh love rainbows has begun
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to helen_caslass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Storm
Old 19-01-2007, 3:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I bought a bottle after hearing about Stardrops loads on here and used it for the first time last weekend - I love it - going to try it on a jumper that's got a stain that won't come out - 100% cotton, so I'm guessing it will be ok... please let me know if you wouldn't recommend it!
Total Debt 13th Sept 2006 (exc student loan): 6240.06
O/D 1 1250 O/D 2 100 Next a/c 313.55@ 26.49% Mum 130 HSBC 4446.51@15.75%M&S 580.15@ 4.9%
Total Debt 30th April 2008: 0 100% paid off!

PROUD TO BE DEALING HAVE DEALT WITH MY DEBT
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Storm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
grannybroon
Old 19-01-2007, 3:31 PM

I certainly use it neat on clothing stains and diluted for cleaning purposes and find it invaluable. Made bathroom floor feel a bit 'tacky' so not using it for that.

Can I make a wee suggestion for when we are posting here - maybe it would be useful for newbies to Stardrops if we said when we use it neat or when we should it diluted.

GB

Last edited by grannybroon; 19-01-2007 at 3:33 PM.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to grannybroon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Angelselondon
Old 19-01-2007, 3:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to Angelselondon Send a message via MSN to Angelselondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannybroon

Can I make a wee suggestion for when we are posting here - maybe it would be useful for newbies to Stardrops if we said when we use it neat or when we should it diluted.

GB
Very good suggestion, thank you.
HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2008
BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%

'Don't Stop me now, I'm cooking on Gas!' - Peggy Ollerenshaw - Hi-De-Hi!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Angelselondon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
lisyloo
Old 19-01-2007, 3:52 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Very good idea.
How should I use it on my leather sofa?
I have a cream coloured sofa that has bad staining from jeans. It's difficult to shift.
Obviously you need to be a little bit careful with harsh chemicals and leather.
How much should I dilute it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lisyloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
jellycat40
Old 19-01-2007, 4:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I use star drops as well but not on my floor I use the starclen which seems to be less sticky.

Star drops is 3.66 + VAT in Makro for 5l.

Will have a go at using it like fairy foamy stuff because I have one of those bottles too.

Louise
Nobody is perfect - not even me.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jellycat40 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Phie
Old 19-01-2007, 4:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Don't forget.... let us all know your Stardrops disasters or Stardrops no-no's. I guess it might stop Stardrop virgins (like me ) making mistakes.

I know, I know Stardrops are wonderful and can do just about anything. But there must be some stuff its not good for!!!
"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy."
Groucho Marx
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Phie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
mumoftwo
Old 19-01-2007, 6:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well, here is my "Stardrops first use" experience.

Couldn't wait to use it so I

- wiped down kids bedrooms with diluted solution in bucket
- shined their huge mirrored built in wardrobes, which came up fantastic!
- wiped bathroom sink and taps (never seen them shine like that before)
- wiped wooden stairs with it, came up great

after tea I

- cleaned the cooker and oven with diluted solution
- cleaned grill pan and wire rack, was very easy work
- wiped worktops
- wiped stainless steel sink and drying area and taps, again very shiny
- mopped the kitchen floor and laminate living room floor.

Just noticed someone saying it leaves the floor sticky so waiting for that.

So far so good. Only thing... I did spray a bit of anti bacterial stuff on the worktops after, just for the disinfection.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mumoftwo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
suep
Old 19-01-2007, 7:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've converted my whole family to startdrops and use it to clean everything. My son dilutes it and uses it instead of windscreen wash in his car, he swears it's better than the proper stuff, but I've not tried it myself.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to suep For This Useful Post: Show me >>