American Express now issuing contactless cards

Just a point of interest, I received a new AmEx Platinum card today and I was surprised to see that it is contactless enabled!

There is a website advertised on the leaflet that came with the card (here) and it seems to imply that all cards issued after September 2011 will be contactless enabled.

It's certainly a step in the right direction, I wish everybody else would hurry up and roll out contactless cards - I think MBNA and Barclays are about the only others who routinely issue them?

Comments

• I have contactless on my b/card and barclays bank cards - I hate it.

I have asked for it to be removed but it apparently can't be.

If someone stole my card they could go and do loads of small transactions which I'd in all likelihood have to pay for - just my opinion, but not a step forward as far as I can see.

Out of interest (always open to changing my mind) - why do you think it's so good?
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If someone stole my card they could go and do loads of small transactions which I'd in all likelihood have to pay for - just my opinion, but not a step forward as far as I can see.

The transactions are small, and AFAIK no more than 10 in a row without a PIN number. The appeal of a max £150 means that the card probably won't appeal to the "hardened" criminal :)
  • OllyM
    OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Out of interest (always open to changing my mind) - why do you think it's so good?

It's a good idea because it's convenient and saves time. You can only spend a maximum of £15 and it can randomly ask for the PIN to be entered so I really doubt a thief will even bother trying to use it.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    If someone stole my card they could go and do loads of small transactions which I'd in all likelihood have to pay for - just my opinion,

First of all, you shouldn't have to pay if it's used fraudulently and there is a limit before the PIN is asked for as a check. I appreciate that that could still entail having an argument with a bank to the effect the transactions aren't yours.

I've used contactless technology in Asia for a few years. Once people are used to is it is very fast. After a shop has scanned your last item the total appears (either on the normal till or pad itself), you put the card on the pad and it's instant. Off you go.

I believe it is more secure than entering a PIN because every time you enter a PIN there is a risk the machine has been compromised or someone looks over your shoulder. So for smaller transactions, I think the balance of risk is in favour of NOT asking for a PIN - better to let someone get away with £15 (or whatever the limit is) than always having PINs typed in which could then be used to make off with much larger amounts.

But more importantly, the system is faster than cash. I don't like using a normal CC for a £2 coffee because it holds people up. You have to enter the PIN, wait for authorisation etc. But with contactless, it's faster. I don't need to open my wallet, risk dropping stuff or getting it snatched. I keep my card with my season ticket in a small holder. The wallet (with cash) stays buried in my bag.

So - less risk of getting cash snatched and less of a need to carry cash in the first place.

Finally, if you are using it more frequently, you are likely to notice its loss sooner. The only times I've lost a CC in the UK it's been hours before I've noticed. If used more often, particularly if combined with other functions (eg the Octopus card in Hong Kong, and I think Barclaycard combined the technology with Oyster in London) then you'll notice it's gone more quickly.

I'm sold on it, but I have yet to see it work smoothly anywhere in the UK. Often they have to press some button before you can put it on the pad and there can be a short delay whilst they fiddle around.

I do think that CCs shouldn't foist it on people who don't want it.
  • kaych
    kaych Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my partner received his new visa debit card from Lloyds with contactless a few days ago. I think contactless mainly associated with VISA cards?

Contactless has been used in many other countries for many years but it is relatively new in the UK. I think the advantage of contactless is that it is supposed to make a small transaction quick.. but from I hear on the forum, it seems like it may take longer to use a contactless than actually paying with a normal card. This is mainly due to the lack of knowledge in staff and machines not working etc etc...
  • dshart
    dshart Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My fear with many small transactions on a credit card is that sometimes it is difficult to remember all transactions. As it stands now I only use my card for larger transactions and I check them all off when I get my statement and even doing this I now and again have to rack my brain trying to remember what the transaction was for.

I think I would prefer to remain with cash for smaller transactions rather than use one of these cards.
  • Thanks for all the replies, I feel a bit better about the security aspect of it now!

However, I'm with dshart about keeping track of the transactions - so don't think it's for me and I certainly won't be using it.

I also still believe you should be given the option of having it or not - in my case, I would much rather not have it.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    dshart wrote: »
    My fear with many small transactions on a credit card is that sometimes it is difficult to remember all transactions. As it stands now I only use my card for larger transactions and I check them all off when I get my statement and even doing this I now and again have to rack my brain trying to remember what the transaction was for.

I think I would prefer to remain with cash for smaller transactions rather than use one of these cards.

Yep. But the receipt does say how much has been deducted. This should be reliable because the money is deducted from the card itself (and then reported) rather than being put through after the event on the basis of your authorisation. (Willing to stand corrected on this.)

Problem with cash is .. I don't know where it goes. Now I know how much I spend on coffee...!
  • dalore
    dalore Posts: 54 Forumite
    Is there meant to be a logo on the card? I got a new Amex a few days ago and when I activated it online it said my contactless card is ready. But it doesn't have a logo on it. I called amex and told them, she said if it said it was a contactless card then it must be. When I told her it doesn't have a logo she said she would have to check, but that's been a few days now.

Is there a way to check without looking silly at Tesco? :)
  • You should have a symbol on your card - looks like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Universal_Contactless_Card_Symbol.svg HTH

Mine's in the top right of the cards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure