Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Things You Never Thought You Could Sell (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Things You Never Thought You Could Sell
Views: 736,806
# 1
nickm122
Old 07-01-2007, 5:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to nickm122
Default Things You Never Thought You Could Sell

Hey everyone. This is my first go at starting a new thread that may help people. So if it's ,erm, not very good just ignore it as I no doubt sure you will.

Right, the concept is for people to post things that they have sold on auction sites like ebay. But thats not just it, it has to be things you would'nt normally think you would get money for but you did.

Weird things like empty fragrance bottles, I mean who would want a empty fragrance bottle?? But poeple do as I have just found out when I sold my wife's empty Angel perfume bottle for £5.50.

This may help people who have things lying around which they don't think they could sell and acquire the little bits of money to help to get debt free. So hope its a sucess.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

[

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 29-08-2013 at 3:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 109 Users Say Thank You to nickm122 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
jenchin66
Old 07-01-2007, 5:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We have sold old car tax discs on ebay, had about 12 and they sold for just over £9
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to jenchin66 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
jas135
Old 07-01-2007, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i found 4 complete sets of skis and poles at our rubbish dump and sold them on ebay for £165 !! ( not relevant to the thread , but i though id mention what bargains you can pick up if you look )
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jas135 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
lil_me
Old 07-01-2007, 5:11 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to lil_me

A Gameboy Advance SP which wouldn't charge, but did switch on, it had been in a toilet by accident, I did mention this and still sold for £30 and the buyer was very happy. Pleased I put the gloves on and picked it out of the poop and bagged it!
One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to lil_me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
LookingAhead
Old 07-01-2007, 5:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Oh thanks nick for starting this thread as I have an empty Obsession bottle now.......am off to see if there are any others on there that have bids!!

Cheers.
Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to LookingAhead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
duncans-mum
Old 07-01-2007, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Excellent thread. Being a bit of an e-bay phobe (what have i got that could possibly sell!!!??) I shall be reading with interest.

The old tax discs has really surprised me. Are they a collectable item for some people then?
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to duncans-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
lil_me
Old 07-01-2007, 5:14 PM

A car manifold, got more for that than I paid for the engine which came with it on (already had a manifold that was ok)

I have some old tax discs but would wonder what would be done with them, think I shall not put them on just incase, unless anyone knows why people buy them. I know people used to take the reg number off with thinners and reuse them but with all the current computer systems don't know if that's why they would buy them.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to lil_me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
LookingAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_me
A Gameboy Advance SP which wouldn't charge, but did switch on, it had been in a toilet by accident, I did mention this and still sold for £30 and the buyer was very happy. Pleased I put the gloves on and picked it out of the poop and bagged it!

OMG!!!

Now that really *does* go to show you where there's muck there's brass!
Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to LookingAhead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
postingalwaysposting

again not very relevent but... you know those fourtune balls that you ask for something then you shake it and it gives you the answer... well i was given about 13 and i brought 3/4 for a £1 each... put them on ebay and they made anything from £3 to £12

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to postingalwaysposting For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
in my wellies
Old 07-01-2007, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I sold an ordinary red camping kettle for £6.20. (I'd ended up with two because we forgot to pack the first one once) On my picture and description it was clearly priced at £4.95 and still available to but at that price in the camping shop. Then + postage too!!
Glad to live in a villiage in the country side
Glad I've got no debts at last
Glad to be retiring in 15 months time
[/SIZE]
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to in my wellies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
nickm122
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to nickm122

Quote:
Originally Posted by postingalwaysposting
again not very relevent but... you know those fourtune balls that you ask for something then you shake it and it gives you the answer... well i was given about 13 and i brought 3/4 for a £1 each... put them on ebay and they made anything from £3 to £12

Posts like these are welcome too, they will help someone or give people ideas. Someone may just hav a Magic 8ball (think thats what ya call em) lying around somewhere!!
[
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nickm122 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
lil_me

I couldn't believe it even sold I had DROPPED DOWN TOILET NOT WORKING PROPERLY in huge letters across the advert and advertised in title as BROKEN just incase someone bought then asked for a refund, but to my shock it sold.

Items bought in £ stores for £3-£4

Broken PS2 also sold well, £70 I think it was, front was smashed where the controllers went and drawer was broken for CDs to go in, they were only about £89 new at the time IIRC.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lil_me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
kiwigirl
Old 07-01-2007, 5:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My mum had been told to come off HRT and go onto Menopace, got 3 for price of 2 at local big chemist dept and then was allergic to one of ingredients, shop wouldn't buy them back as they were medication, so put that on ebay when I'd just started got asking price and good feedback!

Also had been trying to sell my ex's engagement ring to local jewellery shops, pawn brokers etc, no one wanted to buy it so tried it on BIN and sold it for more than the only shop that offered to buy it would offer! Have also sold a few other items he gave me during the year - he'd be very annoyed if he knew I sold the LE toy car he gave me for more than he bought it for!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to kiwigirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Purpleroses

Hey! I recently sold a broken and damaged portable dvd player for £30! Absolutely gobsmacked when a bidding war started. Also lots of old womans/womans own have been selling for twice what mum paid for em. :confused: not complaining tho!
£15 a day May ~£274/£465
Total Debt Dec 2006 £15,250.33 now £0 20/11/10
DF by Xmas 2013 #175: £1800/ £1800 £0 to go DEBT FREE AGAIN 23RD AUG

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Purpleroses For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
halloweenqueen

This is a good thread!! Love to hear about all the things that sell!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to halloweenqueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
babes21
Old 07-01-2007, 5:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

A faulty/repairable laptop which sold for £165 also a faulty/repairable mobile phone which sold for £65.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to babes21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
leebarton
Old 07-01-2007, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I sold a set of 3 leather bags (for holiday type things!) that I had bought for £25 in a second hand shop. They sold for £113. I was terrified that they would leave negative feedback because they had obviousely made a mistake, but they were thrilled with them.
First Direct Loan @ 7.9% £13,076.03/£20,250
Mint CC @ 18.9% £3030.29/£3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% £651.46/£2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to leebarton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
moonlightpjs
Old 07-01-2007, 6:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is a great idea!!!

My husband is VW freak and goes to scrap yards and gets all different little bits for VW's and sells them on E BAY for about 10 - 15x what he's paid for them at the scrap yard. A lot of overseas bidders can't get hold of a lot of car parts so are desperate to get hold of things....... and my OH has made a lot of money from doing this.

Also (shouldn't really say this and I'm really ashamed of him) but he thinks if something from a scrap yard will fit in his pocket then he doesn't have to pay for it and therefore makes even more of a profit. Yes, I know its technically stealing and I shout at him but it make no difference. (please don't be mad with us!!!!!!!!!!!)
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to moonlightpjs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
jas135
Old 07-01-2007, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

bought over 100 phones from a hotel sale in newquay for £10 the lot and sold them individually for between £5 and £21 on ebay !
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jas135 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
nevadagirl
Old 07-01-2007, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I once got £15 on eBay for a colour supplement that came free with my usual weekend paper. There was a short story in it that wasn't going to be published in the US for four months and I noticed there was a huge demand for it when I googled the author's name to try and find out more about him. That was the first thing I ever sold on eBay and the reason I joined up.

Since then, I've managed to sell used carrier bags (better than green clubcard points!), the lottery ticket I saved from the first ever draw (not a winner), and my ex's unused nicotine patches sold really well. I've definitely found that the things I put up for sale expecting to do really well let me down, the the old junk I put up with a jokey write-up 'just to see what happens' ends up being the money-spinner. I've noticed that it's often the more quirky stuff that gets you a better natured buyer, as well.

Great thread - will be checking back for more ideas
I joined the 21k debt free in 2 years head to head challenge 12 December 06
Started at £20,170.01 December 06
Currently...£4,687.21
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to nevadagirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>