What's Just Not Worth Scrimping On?

Little_Miss_Uni-Debt
Little_Miss_Uni-Debt Posts: 844
I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 9 August 2011 at 2:08PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hey all,

I always try to shop around and find a bargain, shop efficiently and cut back where I need to.

I was just wondering if any of you have found any areas that it's just not wise to scrimp on or that you allow yourself just one last luxury in your life no matter how small! :p

The only things I can think of are :-

Washing detergent - I buy it on offer but I can't change down too many brands unless I want to go mad with itching 24/7 :D

Car repairs - OH does simple things like oil change etc but we never scrimp on important repairs.

Kitchen towel/TP - :rotfl:Cheaper brands really do cost you more as it gets used up 2x as fast!

Chocolate - I'd rather have 1 bar a year of nice chocolate compared with a years supply of cheaper choc. I don't drink or smoke so it's my only luxury. :p

I'd be interested to hear what has stood the test of time on the shopping lists of all you hardened MSE'ers!!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Loo roll definitely - I HATE with a passion cheap loo roll - what's the point if you almost end up using your hand because it just falls apart!!! Lol!!! xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • Smamfer
    Smamfer Posts: 2,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good post :D

From the top of my head i would have to say

Real coke of pepsi, i dont drink this is my vice but i cant stand cheaper ones.

Heinz tommy k, i have tried lesser and i just can't do it!

Cheap butter i was brought up on Lurpak its my treat in life :rotfl:

i agree on your kitchen roll and i have to say loo roll is often just way too thin too although i only get the real good stuff if it is on offer.

Bisto gravy granules would be another,,, im sure theres a lot more but these spring to mind

xx
    ~~Gonna Buy Me A Shrimp Farm Bubba~~
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Moisturiser & foundation - perhaps not that small a luxury in terms of price but I won't compromise on these.
    Washing detergent here also - always buy on offer like you.
    There are lots more as well I'm sure, I'm not very good with the down-shifting challenge!
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • topcat9
    topcat9 Posts: 102
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Great idea, got me really thinking :)

Diet Coke (has to be in a can too not a bottle - I'm a connoisseur :))

Agree with everyone about toilet roll/kitchen roll etc. Cleaning sprays/liquids as well - I buy branded on offer or good supermarket own-brands but not the real cheapo ones as they are often very dilute and you need to use much more.

Nail varnish - I don't buy them that often and they're one of the cheaper items sold by the posher beauty brands so I'm getting a little treat without spending loads (plus I do think they last longer).

x
    LBM August 2007
    Amount Owed £101,068.35 :(
    Amount Owed March 2012 £13,449.16 :)
    DFD October 2013
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,501
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For me - decent tea (quite happy with leaves rather than bags) but I drink it very weak so can make one portion go a long way.
    And proper coffee, I would rather buy a bag as an occasional treat, given it does not last long, than drink the instant stuff

And I buy decent wholemeal bread from the organic shop because it lasts so much longer than the Chorlton processed stuff; even if it costs more per loaf it is as cheap in the long run.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • kefalos10
    kefalos10 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Pedigree Chum dog food. Yes she is spoilt but it really is the only one that agrees with her and Robinsons Special R blackcurrant juice. For me not the dog!!
  • I have to agree with the kitchen roll/toilet paper/washing detergent thing. We're lucky to be able to get it from Makro at very good prices.

I have to have proper coffee also..I bought a 'decent' instant just to keep in the cupboard and tried some the other day and it was yuk! Also it has to be Ringtons tea!

I can't use any other washing up liquid other than Fairy and cornflakes have to be Kelloggs.
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    I wonder if Tesco's made value condoms would they sell many, I dont think I would use them !
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Salad cream and mayo..

It just has to be Heinz and Hellmans.
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • lol crazyguy. I wonder how safe they would actually be?!
    I may not be there yet, but i'm one step closer then i was yesterday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport