PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It was getting tough in 2006 and the workhouse still threatens us in 2011

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
edited 11 October 2011 at 7:36PM in Old style MoneySaving
I
The Most Destructive Habit............................................. ...........WORRY
The Greatest Joy............................................... .............................GIVING
The Greatest Loss.............................................. ........................LOSS of SELF RESPECT
The Most Satisfying Work.............................................. ..........HELPING OTHERS
The Ugliest Personality Trait............................................. .....SELFISHNESS
The Most Endangered Natural Resource............................OUR YOUTH
The Greatest ‘Shot in the Arm’.............................................. ..ENCOURAGEMENT
The Greatest Problem to Overcome........................................FE AR
The Most Effective Sleeping Pill.............................................. PEACE of MIND
The Most Crippling Failure Disease......................................EXCUS ES
The Most Powerful Force of Life.............................................. LOVE
The Most Dangerous Pariah............................................ ........A GOSSIPER
The World's Most Incredible Computer................................THE BRAIN
The Worst Thing to be Without........................................... ......HOPE
The Deadliest Weapon............................................ .....................THE TONGUE
The Two Most POWER-FILLED Words...................................‘I CAN’
The Greatest Asset............................................. ..............................FAITH
The Most Worthless Emotion........................................... ...........SELF-PITY
The Most Beautiful Attire............................................ ............. ..‘A SMILE’
The Most Prized Possession........................................ ................INTEGRITY
The Most Powerful Channel of Communication is a...........HEART to HEART’
The Most Contagious Spirit............................................ .............ENTHUSIASM
The Most Important Thing in Life.............................................. LOVE

Comments

• mizzbiz
    mizzbiz Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Just musing through this in the Daily Fail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2018401/Families-face-fall-living-standards-bad-1970s.html

I've also been reading the 'Old Money' thread, which is fabulous. I think there are a fair few on here that remember how things were, how to survive etc, judging by that thread. On the other hand, I know most of my pals would just not be able to cope if things went backwards like that.

I think, personally, that everytime we have an economic recession, the following 'boom' is even better than the last - just looking through history a bit and joining some dots. SO I suppose we just have to hunker down, try and manage and, like you say, a bright light at the end of the tunnel is on its way!
    I'll have some cheese please, bob.
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    lovely new thread. :D Thanks Kittie.:)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2011 at 3:04PM
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2011 at 3:04PM
    Options
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 July 2011 at 3:11PM
    Options
    I have a small fire pit I got in Tesco's last year for about £15. These are perfect for giving off a fair amount of heat on chilli summer evenings. I can also cook on them. For burning I use loo roll inners stuffed with junk mail or anything confidential that I've shredded and the 'wood' garden waste (tree and shrub cuttings). By the time we've sat outside in front of this we don't notice a chill inside!

I'm doing more surveys now than ever (whenever I don't get screened out) just to buy basics rather than treats.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Lavandula
    Lavandula Posts: 159 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Collected about 10 lbs of plums and a huge container of blackberries from a walk over the Downs at the weekend. Now have 7 pots of plum jam. The rest of the fruit is in the freezer for more jam making and fruit crumbles...I love foraging and it's free!!!

The price of fruit, particularly berries, in the supermarkets is ridiculous. Looking forward to our Autumn raspberries from the garden.
  • PaddyPaws
    PaddyPaws Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooo! shiny new 'it's tough' thread for me to lurk on. I get so many good ideas from here, thank you everyone for sharing. And it's good to know I'm not the only one finding things a little challenging

PP

<slopes back into lurkdom>
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2011 at 3:06PM
    Options
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Happy new thread, everyone!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    I'm green with envy Lavandula, all I managed was a couple of lbs of wild plums, still I added marrow & I made 8 jars of jam & a couple of crumbles.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure