Faulty Beko fridges fire risk

Options
worldtraveller
worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 5 July 2011 at 9:07AM in Praise, vent & warnings
More than 500,000 homes could be at risk of fire because of faulty fridge freezers.

London Fire Brigade said yesterday a blaze last week, first thought to have been caused by lightning, was started by a faulty Beko appliance.

It said half a million people might have faulty fridge freezers from Beko, the UK’s largest refrigeration brand.

According to the LFB, there may have been up to 20 fires in London alone caused by the product since 2008, including one fatal blaze.

Fire chiefs said it had taken three years to establish a link between faulty defrost timer switches and the fires.

A spokesman said: “We urge everyone who has a Beko fridge freezer to check it is not one of those highlighted by the company as potentially faulty.”

Beko said every effort has been made to contact customers. Sales records from retailers had been checked.

A free modification was available.

A spokesman said: “We have mailed over 100,000 owners and have successfully located and modified 11,000 units.”

Express.co.uk

Fire chiefs are urging people to check if they own particular models manufactured between January 2000 and October 2006. A full list can be found here

MODELS AND SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION

beko.jpg
Trading Standards Institute

Anyone with concerns should contact Beko by calling their free phone number on 0800 009 4837 or visiting www.beko.co.uk
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• ackworth
    ackworth Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    The following numbers are shown on the Beko website as potentially faulty:
      • CA 5411 !!!!!!/FFW/FFX
      • CA 7014 FFX
      • CA 7015 FFW/!!!!!!/FFX
      • CDA 539 FS/FW/FX
      • CDA 543 FS/FW/FX
      • CDA 645 FW
      • CDA 647 FS/FW
      • CDA 648 FS/FW
      • CDA 653 FS/FW/FX
      • CDA 659 FS
      • CDA 751 FS/FX
      • CDA 752 FS/FW/FX
      • CS 460 FF/!!!!!!/FFSD
      • CS 461 FFW/!!!!!!
      • CSA 4706 FFX
      • CSB 4606 FFSD/!!!!!!/FFW
  • badmumof1
    badmumof1 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Options
    mines on there :( cant get through to helpline though
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • sunnysea83
    sunnysea83 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Options
    Mines on the list two - on the bbc news the guy from Beko said lines woudlnt open this morning till 9am

Although on trading standards it says 8am

a link to trading standards page

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/advice-recall-item.cfm?id=273199
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 July 2011 at 8:48AM
    Options
    Is this just limited to Beko ?
    We have a Daewoo - that looks identical to the one shown on BBC Breakfast this morning
    I am concerned that this may be made on the same assembly line with different labels stuck on it (as Vauxhalls and Opels used to be)
    I guess I am asking whether Daewoo owns Beko (or vice versa) ?
  • The_Joker_2
    The_Joker_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They don't just make fridge freezers. At the risk of being off topic, we bought an oven made by Beko, or at least under their brand name, and it was the worst domestic product purchase we ever made. The removable grills that go around the hobs are particularly badly designed, as they will allow any pan that isn't placed precisely over a hob to tip over, and I've lost count of the number of plates broken because the safe centre of balance for trays when using the top of the oven as a temporary resting spot is deceptively narrow. You have to hold the oven knob down for 20 seconds or more before it will stay on by itself, and the door of the toast compartment doesn't drop down parallel to the floor, but stays up about five to ten degrees from flat. Some might argue that this is a 'feature', to discourage using it as another place to put things temporarily, but it's not enough of a difference to dissuade me, just enough to make buttering toast, or putting a slice of cheese on a burger, before putting them back under the grill, awkward, because the grilling tray slides back.

The model is DCG 8511, and we've had it for more than five years now, I guess. Suppose one should say that it's lasted, and money's tight enough to make us grateful for that, but it's definitely swings and roundabouts...
  • MaryJane54
    Options
    I have one of the model numbers listed but have just been onto the BEKO site and its the Serial Numbers that make all the difference apparently. They have a good online checker to ascertain whether your Model AND serial number is a risky one. Mine wasn't thankfully and it is very quick to do - even helpfully shows you how to locate the serial number on your fridge!
    Here is the link for anyone who is interested

Forum won't let me put the link on as i am a new user but if you log onto the beko . co . uk site and then put forward slash Safety you will find it!
  • Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just because your model is on the list doesn't mean it's affected. It's all about the year it was built. 2000 - 2006 are the only ones potentially affected according to the website.

On the serial number check the first 2 digits. Chances are if you bought it in the past 3 years it'll be ok, unless you bought some old stock.
  • walwin
    walwin Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The link to check your model and serial number
    https://refsafety.beko.co.uk/

Mine is one of the affected ones but I've been trying non-stop to call and can't get through.

At 8.00 this morning when I first tried I got British Gas :eek:
    Not sure how that works -exactly the same number as Beko
  • Astuteboy
    Astuteboy Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We bought a CDA554S last year; not on the list fortunately. What a pain for those affected though.
  • speedy_gonzalez
    Options
    At work at the moment so I have to wait until lunchtime to check mine. Has anyone got through yet and managed to find out how quick they're going to be at coming out to fix them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure