I Bought an Item, it never turned up...now what??

Options
Hi,

Hope someone can help me?

I bought an item off eBay about 3 weeks back.... cost was £56.00 and £10 p&p . It never arrived, I've had a dialogue with the seller ( who I believe ). Surprisingly, he's just informed me he never sent it Recorded Delivery!!

Current state of play is:

Item not received, Royal Mail told him he'd have to wait the requisite amount of time before he could claim.

The relevant date was March 9th. He's now confirmed he is taking this up with the RM, and I'll receive some docs to complete etc. I have no issues with this at all.

However, I asked him when he would refund my £66.00...... he tells me he won't do this until the RM have completed ALL their enquiries, and I'll need to " bear with him " while this happens.

I have 2 questions....

1 - How long will this take?

2 - Isn't this a matter between him and the RM, and nothing to do with me? If so, how do I approach eBay? He tells me if I do approach eBay, they will back him up since he's initiated an enquiry and they won't do anything anyway, so I'm best just waiting for the RM to do their thing?

It's a bit annoying...if someone can confirm to me that either I WILL have to wait patiently...or if I can contact eBay, and how I go about it to get a refund? I'd be very grateful, thank you.
if i had known then what i know now

Comments

• Sparkle80
    Sparkle80 Posts: 1,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was under the impression that the seller should refund you just now, then it's up to him and RM to sort out the claim?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stop bothering with the seller, they don't understand how it works.

Log into paypal and open a full Item not received claim in there, do not let them divert you back to ebay, a paypal claim is easier. That will then give the seller 10 days to prove delivery, if not you get a full refund of your original payment.

Once it is all sorted you may want to reflect the sellers attitude in the feedback you leave to warn other potential buyers that they may face a struggle if things go wrong.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    mike230652 wrote: »
    Hi,

2 - Isn't this a matter between him and the RM, and nothing to do with me? If so, how do I approach eBay? He tells me if I do approach eBay, they will back him up since he's initiated an enquiry and they won't do anything anyway, so I'm best just waiting for the RM to do their thing?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I think he'll get a surprise when he finds out what ebay's response will be.

But maybe he already knows and is trying to fob you off....
  • mike230652
    mike230652 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I think he'll get a surprise when he finds out what ebay's response will be.

But maybe he already knows and is trying to fob you off....

I believe the seller is genuine...his feedback is 100%, as is mine!. However, he's obviously annoyed that he won't get his full £66 back from the Royal Mail, but that's hardly my fault?? As I've said...I paid £10 P&P which would have been MORE than ample for him to send it Recorded Delivery. Anyway....just opened a dispute, let's see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for your help, greatly appreciated.:T
  • mike230652
    mike230652 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Following on from advice given here...I'm pleased to say eBay contacted me...and a full refund was made to my Paypal account at 1.30p.m. today!!

Ironic thing...and certainly no insinuation meant...is the seller's name is " Robin Crook " ..... funny!!

Don't know what to do about feedback, though? he has been fair all the way through...just he wouldn't give me a refund until I involved eBay., which did niggle me somewhat!!.... also, I don't want him to mess up my 100% positive feedback.... any advice, please?
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    He cannot leave neg feed back!
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mike230652 wrote: »
    Following on from advice given here...I'm pleased to say eBay contacted me...and a full refund was made to my Paypal account at 1.30p.m. today!!

Ironic thing...and certainly no insinuation meant...is the seller's name is " Robin Crook " ..... funny!!

Don't know what to do about feedback, though? he has been fair all the way through...just he wouldn't give me a refund until I involved eBay., which did niggle me somewhat!!.... also, I don't want him to mess up my 100% positive feedback.... any advice, please?

Assuming you can actually see the refund that to me means this transaction is now complete. As seller was nto prepared to offer a refund without delaying you and causing you un necessary stress I would be looking at a neutral. Word it carefully though, something like 'seller unhappy about refunding on lost item' (don't use that though as others are much better with feedback than me!). I;d also mark him down a bit on his communication star but not on the other stars.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    Options
    'Seller unhappy about refunding on lost item'

Sounds about right. Don't use any "avoid" or "buyer beware" type language, or too many exclamation marks either.

Any seller that makes me go to a dispute gets non-positive feedback, but since he didn't even send it recorded (let alone Special Delivery like an item worth £66 should be sent), then I'd be harder on him because of the overcharge on postage (unless it's quite obviously heavy).
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be more inclined to give a neg too.
    He is totally unaware of ebay's policies and expects the buyer to wait months before a claim is sorted (possibly taking you beyond the time allowed to make a claim).
    £10 postage seem enough to at least add recorded delivery.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would say, something like, Seller wanted me to await RM claim before refunding for lost item.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure