IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Barclays Bank (merged)
Views: 169,208
# 1
rickshaw500
Old 16-11-2006, 10:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Barclays Bank (merged)

hi, im still shakin, but i have just posted a letter to barclays asking for 200 pounds back. i am struggling with money at the moment and thought i would try, i felt strong this morning but i dont now. i am a worrier and i hope i can cope with this. how long before i hear something back from them.

i am 1200 overdrawn. on benefits and panicking, help.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickshaw500 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
stacey21
Old 16-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hi,
was the letter for bank charges? for being overdrawn etc?
Did you include copies of your statements with the charges highlighted?
If so then it is likely you will get the money back, check out the bank charges reclaimed succes stories forum too to read other peoples experiences.
hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stacey21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Ropey
Old 16-11-2006, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm about to start down this road with Barclays. From what I've heard, get a parachute account in place, they can get a bit shirty.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Ropey; 16-11-2006 at 11:44 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ropey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
nadeembutt
Old 16-11-2006, 8:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy Barclays Bank Vs Butt Help!!!

Could someone please help me? I sent barclays a Data Protection Act 1998
Subject Access Request with a 10 cheque.

Just recieved a letter from them basically saying that

"please be aware that the bank is not under an obligation to present information according to any particular format.Therefore your request to assemble a schedule of charges is turned aside.

They go on to say we'll give you a copy of your bank statemetns for free but

"Some statement information from the period prior to and possible during 1999 to 2000 is manually stored in the form of microfiche and does not fall within the data subject access provisions of the DPA"

"also states the DPA does not oblige the bank to comment about internal policies and procedures"

"Whilst aggregated information is retained for statistical purposes, this would not constitute "personal data" under the DPA and therefore would not be covered by a s.7 DPA subject access request"

Someone please help me and tell me what on earth they are saying in laymans terms and what my next step should be?

Should i wait for my statements and then calculate and send the schedule of charges and second letter requesting they pay my the monies owed??
The Following User Says Thank You to nadeembutt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
samtman
Old 16-11-2006, 9:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thats what I got but they enclosed my statements on a print out and my cheque back but unsure what to do next
The Following User Says Thank You to samtman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jasun
Old 16-11-2006, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Barclays will send you all the statements you want, going back 12 years if you want (that is how far banking systems have to keep data for), for £5 anyway... no need to send DPA request, it's their standard policy. They are one of the few that do though. Cahoot for example, wanted £2 per statement. I sent a letter stating they could charge no more than £10 and they sent them all for free

Last edited by jasun; 16-11-2006 at 10:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jasun For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
jasun
Old 16-11-2006, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtman
Thats what I got but they enclosed my statements on a print out and my cheque back but unsure what to do next
Total the charges up, request them back, if no joy, open a case online. You don't need to detail them all, as there is limited space online. You can do it later. They will probably file a defence, then you'll need to fill in the allocation questionnaire. Rather straight forward. Then the date will be announced. After that you should get an offer of out of court settlement. As long as they offer the full amount, with only the point of keeping the offer confidential, you should sign it.

If they offer less or any other conditions, reject it until they offer it on the basis of the full amount. If there are any other extra conditions, you would also probably want to reject it and hit court, but it'll probably not get to that stage as they have too many reasons to stop it getting that far, including: cost, probability of not winning, you being able to talk about it to the press, etc.

If you need any help, there are enough of us that have been through it before. I've got a 2nd Barclays case open at the moment, not sure anyone else has got as far as doing a 2nd one against a bank yet, so we'll see how this one fairs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jasun For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
furndire
Old 16-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you look on www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk you will find that people still get their money after refusing to be gagged. There are plenty on CAG that have got money back for more than one account. There is a specific forum on there for Barclays bank it will be well worth you while looking on there.,
The Following User Says Thank You to furndire For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Rocky67
Old 17-11-2006, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to Rocky67

I reuested a list of charges from Barclays and got a stack of statements but didn't get my cheque back.
I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky67 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
lewt
Old 17-11-2006, 3:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to lewt

i'm going to be doing this soon. i once told nationwide that they would have to take me to court to get all the charges back (it was only charges for returned DD) on an account i'd stopped using i know now why they let me off..
If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to lewt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Rocky67
Old 17-11-2006, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just typed up (well inserted right bits into a template letter) and going to post it to Barclays today - wish me luck too.
I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
# 12
Rocky67
Old 17-11-2006, 3:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Ongoing charges - Barclays

I am about to claim charges back from Barclays up to today but what do I do about any charges that I get from today until they pay up? One person mentioned it took them 5 months to get money back from Barclays - that could be a whole load more charges for me. Can I then start the process again to reclaim those back?
# 13
Diggerb
Old 17-11-2006, 3:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtman
Sounds like they are trying to baffle you with science and put you off, they are obviously wriggling,, if the bank is a PLC Public Limited Company, the word being public may be crucial,, as there policies are probably public, which means anyone can see/read them, which in turn means that it is available in the Public Domain, now as I understand it under the DPA, (data protection Act)

ANYTHING that is in the Public Domain, does not come under, and is not protected by the Data Protection Act (for example a court case which is held in a public court) that is why the press can freely report on it) Now I may be wrong on some aspects of that, but that is how I understand it, but you will I believe have to seek further guidence on this as it is a legal minefield, with much use of legal Jargon, which is not ment to be understood by the layman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diggerb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
nickmack
Old 17-11-2006, 3:37 PM

Yes, you can make claims for seperate periods. I suspect they may close your account if you continue to do so though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickmack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
fatducks
Old 18-11-2006, 8:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Cool Barclays Bank

Barclays informed me last week that I would have to pay a 40 annual service charge if my accounts fall below 2000.
Anybody know how to get out of these new charges which are being introduced next month based on an assessment of accounts during this month?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatducks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
nickmack
Old 18-11-2006, 8:20 AM

Move away from Barclays!

First Direct have introduced a similar charge as well. Others may follow.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickmack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
furndire
Old 18-11-2006, 10:44 AM

Rocky67 you claim your 10 back when you have totalled up your charges - well that's what I did for DD.
The Following User Says Thank You to furndire For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
malvena
Old 18-11-2006, 2:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to malvena
Default Just about to start a claim. Bit worried.

:confused: Hi.

I am sure someone out there can put my mind to rest. I am just about to start a claim against Barclays. I closed this account earlier this year, but believe that claims can still be made against old closed accounts. My main concern is that I also have a large loan with them ( I really wish I had known about this site before doing that), which is due to end feb 2012. If I claim against them will they the ask for a full repayment on the loan? I have never defaulted on the loan. If they do I have no way of paying it back and as my credit rating is rubbish I don't think I could get another one to cover it, without going to the dodgy places which I don't want to do.

I am sorry for waffling but I don't want to end up in a worse situation than I am by doing this.

Thanks in advance

Malvena:confused:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malvena For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Edinburghlass
Old 18-11-2006, 3:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes, you are okay claiming from a closed account and as your loan is a different agreement from the bank account you once had they can't demand you pay this back on the strength of your claim on the closed account.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
malvena
Old 18-11-2006, 3:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via AIM to malvena

Edinburghlass

Thanks for that, its put my mind at rest. I think I will go and post my 1st letter.

Cheers Malvena
The Following User Says Thank You to malvena For This Useful Post: Show me >>