Lorrys are parking right outside my front window

Options
Hi hope you can help me or put me to a link or move me in the right direction . I am asking for my sister she lives on a road with no garden and near the top end of a narrow street onto a main road. Lately she has had big problems with commercial vehicles parking right outside her front door and window (about 4 foot away) These are fairly big wagons and often a large mini bus /small coach (29 seats)blocking all light in her front room and often starts up and moves off at around 6-30am she could open her bedroom window and step onto the roof of the wagons parked. The road has no parking restrictions and has always parked where she can as most houses inc hers has two cars she has no problems with that and small vans(small transit) in the street . She has lived there for over 25 years and knows her neighbours and she and they dont know who owns the vehicles (different companys or unmarked)someone thinks the coach belongs to someone in another street also the vans belongs to know one close.
Question is there a law against this being so close to your gaff and blocking light . Can you help with best advice for her .... I will phone companies and a letter on the windscreen soon too. Just wondering about legalities. Thanx in advance
:cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:

Comments

• Gene_Hunt_2
    Options
    Have a read here.
  • emmell
    emmell Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Options
    Phone your local highways department at the council, it would help if you knew the weight of the vehicles.
    ML.
    He who has four and spends five, needs neither purse nor pocket
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for that , Quiet a few words telling me its all a bit in the air. Typical transport v local council v plod.
  • Gene_Hunt_2
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    Thanks for that , Quiet a few words telling me its all a bit in the air. Typical transport v local council v plod.

They may well be in breach of their operators licence, not parking them in a suitable place over night. VOSA may be a good agency to contact.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    greenface wrote: »
    Question is there a law against this being so close to your gaff and blocking light .
    No.
    Can you help with best advice for her .... I will phone companies and a letter on the windscreen soon too. Just wondering about legalities. Thanx in advance

The only chance she has is if it is someone who drives for the company taking the wagon home and parking it there instead of the companies registered operating center HOWEVER that only applies if the operating center is within reasonable distance - for example, it could be that the driver works for a company 50/100/200 miles away and has a run where they run out of time near home so take the wagon home. That is legal.
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    emmell wrote: »
    Phone your local highways department at the council, it would help if you knew the weight of the vehicles.
    ML.
    will do thanks i can see there is a difference between 1.5 / 3.5 / & 5 tonnes . I myself used to reverse a (just under 3.5 tonne) glass van down a cul-de-sac after 5pm and out the next morning. Sorry to my old neighbours always parked under my window though
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    Gene_Hunt wrote: »
    They may well be in breach of their operators licence, not parking them in a suitable place over night. VOSA may be a good agency to contact.

You can park a lorry where the hell you like if you have insufficient time to get back to the operating center as long as its not in a Lorry Ban Zone or over the weight limit for the area.

There is no law that says lorries have to park in motorway services, truck stops (not that there's room due to lorry hating knobs campaigning against them) or industrial estates.
  • Gene_Hunt_2
    Options
    Hammyman wrote: »
    You can park a lorry where the hell you like if you have insufficient time to get back to the operating center as long as its not in a Lorry Ban Zone or over the weight limit for the area.

There is no law that says lorries have to park in motorway services, truck stops (not that there's room due to lorry hating knobs campaigning against them) or industrial estates.

We don't know where the base is or what restrictions are in the road so there may well be offences.;)

Don't you have form for crashing lorries?:D
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hammyman wrote: »
    No.

The only chance she has is if it is someone who drives for the company taking the wagon home and parking it there instead of the companies registered operating center HOWEVER that only applies if the operating center is within reasonable distance - for example, it could be that the driver works for a company 50/100/200 miles away and has a run where they run out of time near home so take the wagon home. That is legal.

i dont think this would be legal if it was on a regular basis, now and again maybe but not all the time. there are no exemptions for drivers who live far from work, thats what personal cars are for.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • HiTo
    HiTo Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Slip out like a ninga and take their tyre valve cores out :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts