Propane Gas - Current prices??

Options
What prices are people currently paying and from which supplier?

I live in rural Derbyshire, buy bulk Propane from Shell Gas and my current price is 35.5ppl.

When I contacted another firm in the past they wouldn't offer as it is Shell Gas' tank leased to me.

Think there are still no bulk/Bottled Gas comparison sites available - anyone know differently?

thanks

Comments

• david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have yet to find a site. in the past i have had to ring round suppliers in my area to get prices but they insist on coming round, try to get me to change the tank to them and THEN give me a price! i pay 31ppl at the moment, which is not bad.
  • TeePee_3
    Options
    I have just had a delivery from my supplier of LPG. Price was 37.50p ltre. Is this now the going rate in the UK. Without changing tanks I have no option to shop around for cheaper suppliers as they will not fill other companies tanks. Does anyone know if this "monopoly " is legal? Is there any control on propane prices? In less than six months the price has shot up from 29p to 37.5, a much larger increase than any other energy source.
  • peterstyles
    Options
    TeePee wrote: »
    I have just had a delivery from my supplier of LPG. Price was 37.50p ltre. Is this now the going rate in the UK. Without changing tanks I have no option to shop around for cheaper suppliers as they will not fill other companies tanks. Does anyone know if this "monopoly" is legal? Is there any control on propane prices? In less than six months the price has shot up from 29p to 37.5, a much larger increase than any other energy source.

I'm with Calor, currently paying about 36p/litre, and they have just sent me a letter with a £50 loyalty bonus if I sign up for another two years. I expect all customers who are not tied in to an agreement to receive one of these shortly. Why, you might ask are Calor doing this?

Over the last two years there has been an investigation by the OFT/CC into the bulk supply of gas to off-main users and this identified ownership of the tank as a bar to fair trading. After a long consultation period new regulations were proposed. These would require the current owner of the tank to transfer it to a new supplier if the customer decided to change. A back-up cost calculation is included. Obviously once in place this mechanism would break Calor's stranglehold on the market and open it up to others. The regulations were proposed for introduction in February 2008 - coincidence?

I will not be accepting the loyalty payment as I have a new supplier lined up with a price of 30p/litre who will take over the tank once the regulations are in place.

What can you do? Write to your MP and ask him when the new regulations will be enacted bearing in mind Parliament's tardy reputation with such things.

PS - to find out about the proposed regulations go to the Competion Commission site at
    http://www.competition-commission.gov.uk/inquiries/current/gas/
  • L-J-R
    L-J-R Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Our latest LPG delivery from Flogas charged over 40p per litre. Here's hoping for a mild February and balmy March!
  • lpg_2
    lpg_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Try Extra Gas Manchester
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just spoke with my parents about their gas supply and they paid 35p a litre for their last delivery in October last year. They are supplied by Calor and have had the letter offering the £50 loyalty bonus etc. Thanks for the info above, I never knew about that. Just passed on the info to them. :-)

Just came across this site which may be of interest...

http://www.extrafuel.co.uk/?gclid=CO6LtI7nyZECFSTIXgodtAX_yg
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • Gez_W
    Gez_W Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As with most oil related commodities, LPG has risen in price. However, the market leaders are taken this opportunity to increase their profitability. In a period when wholesale LPG rose by 5.5p per litre, Calor increased their prices by 9.25p per litre and Flogas by an astounding 11p per litre !!

As usual both companies will offer substantially reduced prices for new customers, but once you are under contract prepare to be treated shabbily.

I would suggest contacting an independent LPG supplier and those below should be able to help:

Scotland - J-Gas www.johnston-oils.co.uk

North of England - innergy LPG www.innergylpg.co.uk

Midlands - Lister Gases www.lister.co.uk

Southern England - Countrywide LP Gas www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk
  • sazndave
    Options
    I am supplied by Calor who are currently charging 39.6p per litre. They really do seem to have the monopoly in my area - and they know it! Whilst putting their prices up it seems that their service to the customer goes down. I have had nothing but problems over billing, supplying and metering our useage but, because they know there is nowhere else for us to go, they aren't interested in offering quality of service, they just take the money and run...it's so frustrating! Anybody else in this situation...where do we turn?
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Listers are excellent.
  • dougk_2
    dougk_2 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    TeePee wrote: »
    In less than six months the price has shot up from 29p to 37.5, a much larger increase than any other energy source.

Think yourself lucky heating oil has near enough doubled in last 9 months!
    Last October it was about 37ppl a couple of weeks ago it was 67ppl.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure