Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Solved : Vax Rapide Carpet Cleaner - Not dispensi... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Solved : Vax Rapide Carpet Cleaner - Not dispensing water
Views: 29,346
# 1
david39
Old 03-03-2010, 2:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Solved : Vax Rapide Carpet Cleaner - Not dispensing water

I have a Vax Rapide Carpet Shampooer - after 12 months and only 4 decent uses, it stopped issuing water onto the carpets even though a thorough examination showed no obvious fault. Vax Helpline totally useless.

I looked on several "Self-Help" boards and found that lots of other frustrated people have the same problem, but nobody has posted an answer. I finally solved the problem, so am passing it on in case any readers of this board are suffering from it too:

There are 2 possible causes:

Under the brush (you need to remove it by removing the panel that runs down the side of the main base plate) there is a plastic strip with pinholes in it that spray the water onto the carpet. These can get blocked, so clear them by pushing a pin or a needle through them.

If this does not solve it, the answer is most likely that the pipes and valves inside the machine are blocked by congealed shampoo. To cure this, put a kettleful of hot water into the water tank and run the machine for a few minutes, pressing the trigger on and off to give bursts of pressure to help shift the blockage. When cleared, clean out the pinholes (as above) to complete the job.

If neither of the above work, then you are on your own, I'm afraid.

To avoid the problem again, after each use, flush out the pipes with warm clear water to get rid of any remaining shampoo residue. It's a pity that they don't suggest that in the Vax instructions and not just put "Don't leave shampoo in the tank when the machine is not in use."
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to david39 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
kwikbreaks
Old 03-03-2010, 2:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

We've got a Vax shampoo machine - not sure if it is this one (it is a big monstrous thing that looks a lot like the picture I just found on the web) - anyway I guess the problem could be common to several models so thanks for the tip.
My laptop keyboard keeps missing spaces. Sorry.
# 3
redhelen
Old 20-05-2011, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thankyou thankyou thankyou

I have been struggling with this problem for ages, and now it is working At last I can clean my carpet (it was those little holes that were blocked all the time)

The Following User Says Thank You to redhelen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Lleucu
Old 20-05-2011, 9:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

me to diolch I will try it
# 5
fizzypotter
Old 03-09-2011, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thank you sooooo much for this, did an internet search for help but once again MSE to the rescue. unblocked the holes and had no idea how bad it had been till I saw the water run through, dont think its been working properly for months !!
anyway CLEAN carpet, just when we were thinking it had got too grubby for the cleaner and needed replaced.#
THANK YOU !!!!
# 6
1963gardenerbob
Old 06-05-2012, 2:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi, just solved a small problem with my vax rapide. water stopped coming out.took pump off of the bottom of the machine, removed blue end. inside is a spring attached to a small piece of black plastic ( i think this is to stop water syphoning out when machine is not on or no water is required), the spring was compressed and caught on plastic piece. undone spring and reassembled. put back together, works fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps. robert
The Following User Says Thank You to 1963gardenerbob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
cornish maid 1
Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile vax rapied not pumping water

just took pump to bits, moved blue end bit took spring out as you said and it's working, first time its pumped water for a couple of years, had to scrub carpet by hand before then only use vax to soak up water.very happy lady, as will get house work done in half the time now, thankyou.
# 8
MargaretM10
Old 13-06-2012, 12:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have tried all these suggested solutions, its still not dispensing any water onto my carpets
# 9
lindylou074
Old 24-01-2013, 8:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you David so much.... just wish I had thought of looking for a solution before I spent hours trying to work it out.
At least with your help I got it working again and saved myself money in the process.
thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you
# 10
jonesthephones
Old 23-07-2013, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default VAX Carept Washer - Big Thanks

Bought a used, but blocked, VAX Rapide via eBay, for just £15, based on your post about how to unblock. Following your advice, I easily unblocked all the spray-holes. It works brilliantly now. Very many thanks, Regards, Alun
# 11
macman
Old 24-07-2013, 9:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I bought a refurb that wouldn't dispense the water/shampoo when the trigger was pulled. But with the handle removed and the inner plunger depressed it was OK. Clearly the trigger wasn't properly contacting the inner plunger. Vax supplied a new handle, but it made no difference.
I eventually cured it simply by gluing a small washer on the top of the plunger to improve the contact. it now works fine.
No free lunch, and no free laptop
# 12
pool-hustler
Old 25-09-2013, 6:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default just bought one

Am i doing something wrong or is this machine rubbish on dirt stains?
# 13
RobertDixon
Old 11-10-2013, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool-hustler View Post
Am i doing something wrong or is this machine rubbish on dirt stains?
I used my machine on a stain caused by a spill on my mother-in-law's carpet. It needed going over two or three times but it did the job.
# 14
RobertDixon
Old 11-10-2013, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

The information in this thread has been very useful. It didn't get my machine working but when I called the VAX helpline I had already done all the tests they asked me to conduct. The gentleman on the helpline was very helpful indeed and it has been determined that my pump has failed, so that will now be getting attended to under the 2-year guarantee. But once I have a working machine again I will be following the suggestions given in this thread for rinsing out the machine after each use. Thanks very much for the advice.

Last edited by RobertDixon; 11-10-2013 at 6:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
# 15
B Margaret B
Old 11-05-2014, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you David39 - your advice was 100% and so simple to follow.
My hardly used machine was packed and ready for the refuse because of the frustration is created by not working efficiently. I thought I'd have one last look on the web and came across this site and found this thread. I now have one working machine and a clean carpet. Thanks again.
# 16
Gareth68
Old 31-05-2014, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default There is a third way!

Had the same issue with my Vax Rapide deluxe.tried both suggestion to no effect but on inspecting machine I found a small sponge filter beneath the clean water tank. (With tank removed). Carefully removed filter and found it completely clogged with lime scale and/or shampoo residue. Cleaned filter and replaced - hey presto, it works!
# 17
WRW
Old 27-07-2014, 8:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Belated thbanks!

Just to say, great advice - it worked perfectly. People like David39 who take the trouble to work out a fix, prove it and post it are greatly to be commended!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Lead Out Train
Old 07-08-2014, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Fabulous advice, exactly as described - Vax Helpline only suggested hot water but poking pins through the holes is what brought the machine back to life. That's proper money saving because I was about to chuck it out and get a new one. Thanks!
# 19
sharon45
Old 11-08-2014, 1:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs up sharon

Amazing tip Just followed instructions unblocking the holes and hey presto Thank you so much