Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Keighley Trade Centre (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Keighley Trade Centre
Views: 45,935
# 1
robocop79
Old 14-01-2010, 2:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Keighley Trade Centre

Hi all,

Does anyone have any direct experience of Keighley Trade Centre in West Yorkshire?

I tend to browse Auto Trader during my lunch break and notice they seem to have some decent prices on their cars... However, when I've searched the web for feedback I've found largeley negative comments about them which is obviously a concern.

I'm wondering if this is just a case of people only posting about their bad encounters or is it a case of there really being nothing good to say about them?

In a couple of months I'll be on the lookout for a new car and obviously no one wants to buy a used car from a dodgy dealer [and in no way am I suggesting KTC are], so I'd appreciate to hear any ones comments who has bought from there!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to robocop79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
blue_haddock
Old 14-01-2010, 8:32 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've personally never used them but a very good friend of mine was looking for a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo not too long ago and the feedback he got through ownrs groups on them was not positive at all. I would workon the basis of there must be a reason behind the bad feedbak and seein as there are many may more oth dealers out there i'd give them a wide berth.
Cover me in honey and fling me to the hermaphrodites!
The Following User Says Thank You to blue_haddock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
robocop79
Old 14-01-2010, 11:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hmmmm - cheap for a reason then!
# 4
michaelro
Old 14-01-2010, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Their name comes up quite a bit on a Forum I frequent - 2 Words "Barge Pole".

How they are still in business after some of the things I've read I'll never know - People not doing their homework or drawn in by the cheap prices I guess.

The cars are cheap for a reason....
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelro For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
Old 14-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Oh God, just do a Google about them. They buy cheap shiiit, roll it in glitter, and sell it on.

Steer well clear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pew Pew Pew Lasers! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Lemonade Pockets
Old 14-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've been to see a few cars there over the years because as you've discerened they do seem to be value for money. However in the flesh they've never lived up to expectations from the advert.

Always struck me as somewhat of a cowboy outfit, if you have a look through their stock list you can draw your own stereotypes.

If your from yorkshire i'd bear two sayings in mind:
You don't get owt for nowt
+
You can't polish a turd, although it would appear you can photoshop it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonade Pockets For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Hintza
Old 14-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop79 View Post

I'm wondering if this is just a case of people only posting about their bad encounters
This the problem with all reviews, you get the vociferous minority who will damn a product or company for the smallest of reasons. You aslo have to accept that folk are more likely to post a bad review than a good one.

So you really have to put any review into some sort of context ie against the company/products peers.

I base a lot of my descisions on reviews and try to read between the lines and find ones that are balanced..........can be tricky though.
If you open the window of torture, even just a crack, the cold air of the Dark Ages will fill the whole room..
# 8
michaelro
Old 14-01-2010, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintza View Post
This the problem with all reviews, you get the vociferous minority who will damn a product or company for the smallest of reasons. You aslo have to accept that folk are more likely to post a bad review than a good one.

So you really have to put any review into some sort of context ie against the company/products peers.

I base a lot of my descisions on reviews and try to read between the lines and find ones that are balanced..........can be tricky though.
While I agree with the point you are trying to get across, with some companies you should stay well clear.

Quotes from some reviews (of which there are many!!)

"Went to buy a car and was told I had to buy it to test drive it..."

"my mate paid 12000 for a "mint" evo 6. a few years back, one of the more silly defects found when it went to scoobyclinic was an indicator being held in with an elastic band. one of the more serious was a bent chassis!"

"not sure what its like now but went over a couple of years ago saw two cars on forecourt with same number plate on"

"got a supra and had nothing but trouble with it, spent almost 4 months in a garage getting rebuilt before it actually ran right, it was a mess of bodges etc and they got nothing but abuse when they tried to use the 'warranty' KTC gave them"
# 9
robocop79
Old 16-01-2010, 12:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I agree, every retailer gets some bad publicity and unhappy customers... and most people are far likely to complain rather than praise! However with this place they do seem to have a few too many horror stories for my liking.

Cheers
# 10
andy111
Old 16-01-2010, 8:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

This lot should be on stage judging by their oneliners.
From the Supra Owners site;

Well I was in desperate need of a good laugh so I decided to take a trip down to see the good old folks at KTC.

By far the funniest car there was this dodge viper.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...00812306151019

The problems and KTC's excuses were hilarious to say the least, now where do I start.

Me: The paint work is scratched, dented and very very poor
KTC: Most of it will buff out

Me: I can fit my whole hand in between the bonnet and headlight
KTC: The last owner did that to aid cooling

Me: This headlight (the other one) is loose and wobbles
KTC: It's just a broken clip, 2 to fix

Me: The bumper doesn't line up to the bonnet
KTC: Probably just a broken clip again, cheap fix

Me: The door card is falling off.
KTC: we fixed the window and haven't got round to putting it back on properly

Me: Parts of the steering wheel are peeling and falling off.
KTC: it's expected when the car has been kept in hot conditions

To be honest I didn't even bother looking under the bonnet, this thing had blatantly been in a front end smash and not repaired properly.

So remember, if your ever feeling down just grab a buddy and take a trip down to KTC.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy111 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Rallydriver
Old 17-01-2010, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelro View Post
How they are still in business after some of the things I've read I'll never know -
Because the reason they exist is not to sell cars, but a front for something else. Same reason there are about 50 Accident Management companies in Keighley, no small town can be that accident prone!
# 12
Jock_Tight
Old 20-01-2010, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Stay well away from KTC !

They have a terrible reputation on the car forum I frequent: http://www.lancerregister.com
5/10/12 : Mortgage Free
The Following User Says Thank You to Jock_Tight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
wobbley
Old 20-01-2010, 7:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydriver View Post
Same reason there are about 50 Accident Management companies in Keighley, no small town can be that accident prone!
It's actually 2 accident management companies - 48 are fraud management !
Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
# 14
petrolhead69
Old 23-01-2010, 1:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks everybody, I know I never started this thread, but there`s 3 cars there on the trader that look tidy in the pictures at a decent price and I was going to pop down for a gander soon as prices up here for the same car is a bit higher but the replies here have saved me a 320 mile round trip.
# 15
dfranklin1
Old 23-01-2010, 7:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

They're similarly slated on the Impreza owners club forums I frequent- message is to avoid at all costs.
# 16
Fiachna
Old 02-04-2011, 9:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Dodgy Motors

Hi

Just a quick note on these people, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Went down to see a motor, had previously rung to ask them about the condition of the car which they said was in perfect condition.
Got to the garage and the car was up on ramps so couldn't been driven to be tested.
Had driven 140 miles so they could have rung me before to tell me that there was a problem. On inspection of the car it was in a very sorry state, scuffs on the front bumper, a ripped seat, various knocks and bumps in the doors. Not the car that described on the phone.
My wife gave 100 payment over the phone to secure the car which was not stated as non refundable (you learn by your mistakes).
When we got back from the garage where the car was being fixed we had a look at 2 others cars of the same make and model, when looking at the first one the bodywork looked ok, just had slight scratches which could be buffed out if needed, then we noticed that the window had a crack right across the window and on further inspection of the interior the front seat had something stained on it and it had gone MOULDY,
So we started looking at other motors, Audi A3 S Line looked nice but on further inspection again there was faults again like an inch of rubber hanging off the tyre because it had been kerbed. The tyres also would not pass an MOT (less than 3mm).
When told that we wasn't interested in any of the cars they changed completely, would not pay 100 back even though it was false what they had said over the phone,when asked for their terms and conditions they said they didn't have one and that I would have to write to their legal team (thought Dick Turpin was dead).
They was rude and very clever towards us resulting in me ready to blow my top and my wife getting very upset by it all.
Read a few things after making the 100 deposit, all was bad apart from one reply on a thread, so me being me decided to make my own mind up and they all turned out to be true.
Hope you read this with caution (so much for the quick note).

Last edited by Fiachna; 02-04-2011 at 9:18 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
# 17
Damo 28
Old 02-05-2011, 1:36 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Kiethley trade centre!

Ive had the same problems, bought a saxo vtr 4 days ago and the problems started! since ive had the car its needed a new radiator cos the old 1 was cracked and it leaked, there was a rattle which i thought was the spare wheel holder under the car not the fact that the pins and sliders were missing from the drivers side back break and the pads were hanging out of the calipers, also just had to buy a new clutch and maybe now a new gear box. all i can say is this is disgusting and i think i will be ringing trading standards cos thi is unacceptable, especially when you have a 10 year old son to take forward and backward. Stay away from this car garage its a joke!
# 18
harveybobbles
Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Why didnt yopu take it back and point out the faults instead of buying a new clutch and coming on here moaning 4 days after ownership...?
The Following User Says Thank You to harveybobbles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Flyboy152
Old 02-05-2011, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiachna View Post
Hi

Just a quick note on these people, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Went down to see a motor, had previously rung to ask them about the condition of the car which they said was in perfect condition.
Got to the garage and the car was up on ramps so couldn't been driven to be tested.
Had driven 140 miles so they could have rung me before to tell me that there was a problem. On inspection of the car it was in a very sorry state, scuffs on the front bumper, a ripped seat, various knocks and bumps in the doors. Not the car that described on the phone.
My wife gave 100 payment over the phone to secure the car which was not stated as non refundable (you learn by your mistakes).
When we got back from the garage where the car was being fixed we had a look at 2 others cars of the same make and model, when looking at the first one the bodywork looked ok, just had slight scratches which could be buffed out if needed, then we noticed that the window had a crack right across the window and on further inspection of the interior the front seat had something stained on it and it had gone MOULDY,
So we started looking at other motors, Audi A3 S Line looked nice but on further inspection again there was faults again like an inch of rubber hanging off the tyre because it had been kerbed. The tyres also would not pass an MOT (less than 3mm).
When told that we wasn't interested in any of the cars they changed completely, would not pay 100 back even though it was false what they had said over the phone,when asked for their terms and conditions they said they didn't have one and that I would have to write to their legal team (thought Dick Turpin was dead).
They was rude and very clever towards us resulting in me ready to blow my top and my wife getting very upset by it all.
Read a few things after making the 100 deposit, all was bad apart from one reply on a thread, so me being me decided to make my own mind up and they all turned out to be true.
Hope you read this with caution (so much for the quick note).
Did you pursue the one hundred pounds through your card provider?
# 20
Limey
Old 03-05-2011, 2:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfranklin1 View Post
They're similarly slated on the Impreza owners club forums I frequent- message is to avoid at all costs.
Same with the MR2 clubs, Keighley is somewhere folks are advised to avoid.