IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Anyone used Rointe heaters?
Views: 145,831
# 1
gogzee
Old 15-12-2009, 10:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Anyone used Rointe heaters?

We've currently got storage heaters as we don't have gas but they are proving to be very expensive to use.
A friend has suggested these as a replacement and their sales blurb seems quite convincing but cannot find any real world reviews anywhere

Any advice would be appreciated as we're freezing our bits of!!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Steve17
Old 15-12-2009, 7:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi
These are the same heaters as Calortec (check out Argos book) and various other makes.
They will cost you more than 3 times to run than your night time storage heaters.
A £20 electric heater of any description (convection, oil filled radiator ect) will cost the same.
[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 24-08-2012 at 9:47 AM. Reason: Pending investigation
# 3
shaunmichelle7
Old 19-03-2010, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Rointe

Hi

Im very familiar with Rointe heaters, they are not the same as calortec, they are a standalone system like nothing on the market. They are very energy efficient, not like standard storage heaters (which do cost 3 times as much), they are proven to cost less to run then some gas central heating systems.

They are the only electric heater on the market to have BISREA approval and is being specified by many councils up and down the country.

Hope this helps.
# 4
Swipe
Old 19-03-2010, 5:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmichelle7 View Post
Hi

Im very familiar with Rointe heaters, they are not the same as calortec, they are a standalone system like nothing on the market. They are very energy efficient, not like standard storage heaters (which do cost 3 times as much), they are proven to cost less to run then some gas central heating systems.

They are the only electric heater on the market to have BISREA approval and is being specified by many councils up and down the country.

Hope this helps.
Here we go again
# 5
thills
Old 19-03-2010, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

yeah, snake oil no longer comes in bottles
# 6
Cardew
Old 19-03-2010, 8:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmichelle7 View Post
Hi

Hope this helps.
I bet you are!!

Over £600 for a single 2kW heater

http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com...tric_radiators

Well if you are very familiar with them, how about a little bet.

I am stating unequivocally that 'Your' heaters produce no more heat than a £10 2kW fan heater or any other 2 kW heater.

Now prove me wrong - make the explanation as detailed and technical as you wish(I am a chartered electrical engineer) and there are plenty of others with a technical background.

Don't insult our intelligence with the "it is the way the distribute the heat argument". Heat output - Btu will do.

Your brochure is a disgrace!

Last edited by Cardew; 19-03-2010 at 8:40 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
notnowimbusy
Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy electric heating

Well what DO tou suggest?? What do you think of Elka [now Elti} ceramic heaters?
# 8
Cardew
Old 03-05-2010, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnowimbusy View Post
Well what DO tou suggest?? What do you think of Elka [now Elti} ceramic heaters?
They are exactly the same as all the others of this type - simply electrical heaters that give out no more heat for your bucks(£££s) than a simple £10 fan heater or £20 oil filled radiator.

I don't know how much they cost, but given their brochure and fancy claims I suspect they are yet another firm charging £hundreds for a radiator.

To repeat , yet again, all electrical heating(other than heat pumps) gives out the same heat for the same running cost and any claim that states or implies otherwise, is wrong.

What would I suggest?

Well electrical heating would not be my choice. However in a small property, especially if out at work all day, it can make sense.

Electrical heating has two main advantages.

No maintenance costs, and very low installation cost if you choose wisely. So I would buy some cheap panel heaters and oil filled radiators and a 3kW fan heater to supplement heating and bring a room quickly up to temperature. You can chose a style to suit your taste.

For very little extra money buy timers and remote controls for each of the heaters.
You can install enough heaters and controls for a 2 bed flat for less than the price some of these firms charge for a single radiator.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
steviegee1982
Old 14-07-2010, 11:07 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am just about to buy Rointe heaters from an electrician who is installing them in my flat. I was checking them out online and found this thread. I told my electrician who said he was doubtful too until he was given this link:

bsria.co.uk/services/testing/certificates/list-by-comopany/rointe/

It looks pretty impressive to me but I am hopeless at this sort of stuff - surely the report proves that they are as good as they claim and it proves they use 60% less energy?

I like the idea of the cost savings and emissions savings but they arent cheap and I dont wnat to get ripped off.

Help please???????
# 10
Cardew
Old 14-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviegee1982 View Post
I am just about to buy Rointe heaters from an electrician who is installing them in my flat. I was checking them out online and found this thread. I told my electrician who said he was doubtful too until he was given this link:

bsria.co.uk/services/testing/certificates/list-by-comopany/rointe/

It looks pretty impressive to me but I am hopeless at this sort of stuff - surely the report proves that they are as good as they claim and it proves they use 60% less energy?

I like the idea of the cost savings and emissions savings but they arent cheap and I dont wnat to get ripped off.

Help please???????
Welcome to the forum.

Read the report - comprehensive and excellent!

However IMO the only purpose of commissioning such a report is to use it as a marketing tool to baffle people - and, understandably, it appears to have been successful with you and your electrician.

The report deals with test results, heat distribution, hot spots etc.

However it most definately does not show that they use 60% less energy than any other heater or even 1% less energy.

A £10 fan heater, £20 oil filled heater, or a Rointe heater costing £several hundreds will produce exactly the same amount of heat for the same cost.

I can only repeat what was stated above:

Quote:
Well if you are very familiar with them, how about a little bet.

I am stating unequivocally that 'Your' heaters produce no more heat than a £10 2kW fan heater or any other 2 kW heater.

Now prove me wrong - make the explanation as detailed and technical as you wish(I am a chartered electrical engineer) and there are plenty of others with a technical background.

Don't insult our intelligence with the "it is the way the distribute the heat argument". Heat output - Btu will do.

Your brochure is a disgrace!
Why don't you ring BSRIA, who tested them, and ask them about heat output of Rointe heaters against the heat output of any other heaters?

Ring WHICH or the Energy Saving Trust for confirmation of what I have stated.

Better still get on to the Trading Standards office if you have anything making these claims in writing(and not on the internet)

Sorry to give you news you don't want to hear, but if it is not too late - send them back.

Last edited by Cardew; 14-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
# 11
Cardew
Old 14-07-2010, 7:33 PM

I note that 'shaunmichelle7'(see post #3) has posted just the once to promote these heaters and has not visited since - what are the odds on he/she being an employee?

The one great advantage of the internet is that anyone 'Googling' for Rointe will find this thread; although I suppose there are some folk(older people?) who will still believe the brochure.
# 12
Pincher
Old 14-07-2010, 9:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have just invented an almost limitless source of energy.
It works by creating a hyperspatial conduit to the surface of the sun. The conduit itself is fireproof, but unfortunately the delivery point at the domestic consumption end is not, leading to instant plasma vaporisation of the house and immediate surroundings.

The installation requires a supercooled superconductor core the size of the Large Hadron Collider. The pay back break even point is therefore somewhere around 100 million years. I am thinking with a government subsidy of £100 billion pounds, I can sell it at £100,000 per household. Most of that will be spent on fireproofing the house.

Any takers?
What happens if you push this button?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pincher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
steviegee1982
Old 15-07-2010, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardew View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Read the report - comprehensive and excellent!

However IMO the only purpose of commissioning such a report is to use it as a marketing tool to baffle people - and, understandably, it appears to have been successful with you and your electrician.

The report deals with test results, heat distribution, hot spots etc.

However it most definately does not show that they use 60% less energy than any other heater or even 1% less energy.

A £10 fan heater, £20 oil filled heater, or a Rointe heater costing £several hundreds will produce exactly the same amount of heat for the same cost.

I can only repeat what was stated above:

Why don't you ring BSRIA, who tested them, and ask them about heat output of Rointe heaters against the heat output of any other heaters?

Ring WHICH or the Energy Saving Trust for confirmation of what I have stated.

Better still get on to the Trading Standards office if you have anything making these claims in writing(and not on the internet)

Sorry to give you news you don't want to hear, but if it is not too late - send them back.

Cheers Cardew - I spoke to my electrician last night and he said I didnt have to buy them if I didnt want. he then suggested some cheaper panel heaters but I'm not sure as they look pretty rubbish.

I said I'd think about it and he wasnt too chuffed but I need something to replace my old storage heaters so I'll have another look around - I want something that stays on the wall, is robust and looks nice too!!! Not easy to find without spending a lot.

Cheers for the help tho' ;-)
# 14
Ben84
Old 15-07-2010, 2:58 PM

While storage heaters have many downsides (I had them for years in one house), most of all the lack of immediate control and their emitting most their heat during the day when everyone is out and then often being cold by the time they get home, they do have the advantage of only consuming electric overnight at the cheap rate. Swapping to any other type of electric heating that consumes electric outside the cheap rate hours is almost certainly going to make your electric bills go up.

Because of this, if you're replacing the storage heaters with electric radiators I'd recommend taking a whole house view and trying to reduce the energy you need to stay comfortable. Good controls that thermostatically adjust the heat output and timers to allow you to easily turn the heat off when nobody is using the room make a large difference. Properly insulated walls and roof are important, but even more so when you're using an expensive fuel like electric. It should be pretty cheap at the moment with all the subsidies available to correct any problems with your insulation. Having good lined curtains for overnight is pretty essential for winter nights when your windows stop providing light and just release heat to outside. Adding secondary glazing to a few well picked windows, such as big ones or those in rooms you use the most, or near areas like beds and sofas where people spend a lot of time can also make a large difference to how comfortable you are and how much you feel you need to use the heating.

With good controls and in a well insulated house, electric heating isn't totally unreasonable, but electric is very expensive and you need to be sure you're using it economically. To be as affordable as gas (the claims some not very good electric heater salesmen make) you need to use far less kWh of energy input to keep the house at the same temperature, enough that it would be difficult in an older house that needs significant insulation improvements. As no electric heater is more efficient than any other, any improvements have to be made in how much you use the heaters (timer and thermostatic controls) and in how well the house retains the heat.

Last edited by Ben84; 15-07-2010 at 3:05 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ben84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
steviegee1982
Old 19-07-2010, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben84 View Post
While storage heaters have many downsides (I had them for years in one house), most of all the lack of immediate control and their emitting most their heat during the day when everyone is out and then often being cold by the time they get home, they do have the advantage of only consuming electric overnight at the cheap rate. Swapping to any other type of electric heating that consumes electric outside the cheap rate hours is almost certainly going to make your electric bills go up.

Because of this, if you're replacing the storage heaters with electric radiators I'd recommend taking a whole house view and trying to reduce the energy you need to stay comfortable. Good controls that thermostatically adjust the heat output and timers to allow you to easily turn the heat off when nobody is using the room make a large difference. Properly insulated walls and roof are important, but even more so when you're using an expensive fuel like electric. It should be pretty cheap at the moment with all the subsidies available to correct any problems with your insulation. Having good lined curtains for overnight is pretty essential for winter nights when your windows stop providing light and just release heat to outside. Adding secondary glazing to a few well picked windows, such as big ones or those in rooms you use the most, or near areas like beds and sofas where people spend a lot of time can also make a large difference to how comfortable you are and how much you feel you need to use the heating.

With good controls and in a well insulated house, electric heating isn't totally unreasonable, but electric is very expensive and you need to be sure you're using it economically. To be as affordable as gas (the claims some not very good electric heater salesmen make) you need to use far less kWh of energy input to keep the house at the same temperature, enough that it would be difficult in an older house that needs significant insulation improvements. As no electric heater is more efficient than any other, any improvements have to be made in how much you use the heaters (timer and thermostatic controls) and in how well the house retains the heat.
Thanks for the advice.

I work a lot of the day so I only need heating for an hour or so in the morning and 2/3 hours at night. I am hoping I will save money with new heaters as they will be used so little plus the standard rate for my other electrical stuff will be cheaper once I switch from Economy 7.

Cheers :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steviegee1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Cardew
Old 19-07-2010, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviegee1982 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I work a lot of the day so I only need heating for an hour or so in the morning and 2/3 hours at night. I am hoping I will save money with new heaters as they will be used so little plus the standard rate for my other electrical stuff will be cheaper once I switch from Economy 7.

Cheers :-)
Don't forget hot water costs are less with E7.

However there is no doubt that ditching E7 is the correct thing for some people - especially if they are out all day.
# 17
steviegee1982
Old 20-07-2010, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardew View Post
Don't forget hot water costs are less with E7.

However there is no doubt that ditching E7 is the correct thing for some people - especially if they are out all day.

My electrician said the same thing about the hot water so at least something he said was right LOL

I do think I'll save some money but I also want to do this as the stoarge heaters were so annoying - great if I was in on a weekend during the day but rubbish if i got home late and it was cold!!!

The only problem now is the better looking ones are more expensive and the cheaper ones look a bit flimsy. Decision, decisions.

Thanks for all the advice - it has really helped.
# 18
Cardew
Old 19-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertuber View Post
and before you start banging on about me working for Elka .... I don't.

!
Really? Really?

First post, full of praise for something that despite all your sales patter, gives out no more heat for the running cost than a £10 fan heater or a £50 panel heater or my Granny's 1/2/3/ bar fire.

You might also want to look up how many kWh the average property uses to heat hot water, before dismissing those costs as inconsequential.

The good thing about posting and promoting overpriced heating like ELKA heaters is that anyone 'googling' Elka will come up with this thread and read an unbiased view; so posts like yours are counter-productive.

Now do you want to challenge me about ELKA heters not producing any more heat for the same running costs than a £10 fan heater?

Last edited by Cardew; 19-01-2011 at 10:21 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Cardew
Old 19-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Default ELKA STYLE Rads

Quote:
lol .... you obviously know little about heating.

Efficient heating is brought about through correct convection of heat which is basic thermodynamics. ONLY fluted radiators allow for convection to occur and your ridiculous examples of bar fires and fan heaters simply proves your ignorance. Without convection a rooms temperature will differ between 5-7c from ceiling to floor so you're burning power to heat your ceiling and that is a fact sir. Second, only a proper convection radiator will allow a thermostat to work correctly hence why Elka style rads can operate at a constant 21c while using only 17 mins in the hour downloaded electricity.
Thirdly a proper heating system requires a large surface area which is gained using a fluted rad. A typical central heating radiator allows 18sqft of surface area per 3ft in width. These are the facts.

I know full well how much hot water the average family uses ... with a 5ft tank (all 3kw) my family uses less than a tank a day because the kids have a bath and we have electric showers. We have no dishwasher so wash everything by hand. 3kw x 1hr heating = 30p a day = £109.50 a year. Sometimes we use more but rarely more than an extra tak or two a week. Again a fact.

I don't work for Elka but I have 'invested' in many of them and they are brilliant. I'd rather spend 4p running my handsome Elka than 20p running a crappy noisy fan heater or panel heater which heats my ceiling!! Hot air is less dense than cold air and without convection. Oh and if you're still on E7 that fan heater would be costing you 26p an hour minimum .. and pack up in a few weeks. Do the math!!
Well I am a chartered electrical engineer, not some chancer salesman; and I would wager I know far more than you will ever know about thermodynamics.

You post is quite typical of the pseudo scientific sales patter that characterises adverts for these hideously overpriced heaters.

Take this masterpiece:

Quote:
Elka style rads can operate at a constant 21c while using only 17 mins in the hour downloaded electricity
Size of room, heat loss of room and output of the Elka style rads are apparently are not needed for you to proclaim that these wonderful devices operate(a meaningless terrm) at 21C on only 17 mins in the hour downloaded electricity. - absolute garbage.

The facts are quite simple and indisputable!

Your vastly overpriced Elka style heaters produce no more heat for the same running costs than any other electrical heaters, be that a £10 fan heater a £50 panel heater or my granny's 1/2/3/bar electic fire.

Do you understand that - I mean really understand?

As said before, in these days of Google hopefully anyone silly enough to think your heaters give out more heat for the bucks will read this before 'investing'.

There are plenty of other qualified engineers who visit these threads who will confim my statements.

Now all that above won't worry you will it? After all you(allegedly) don't work for the firm, or have any financial interest in their sales.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Owain Moneysaver
Old 19-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Wow you REALLY don't know anything about HEATING. What does electric have to do with it??
They run off electricity?

Quote:
They STORE heat you imbecile hence why they only use 17 mins in the hour.
So where do they get the heat from that they store? Over what period is that released? What is the thermal mass of the heater?

Quote:
Heat loss in all my rooms was accurately calculated to determine the correct size and power rad so again you argument falls flat on its face. I had the heat loss calculated by 3 heating companies.

Typical modern 40cm room with two exterior walls, 2 double glazed windows ... heat loss 3.5 out of 10 = 1.4 kw rad. 1.4 x 10p = 14p per hour
28% or that is under 4p an hour. Want to see my bill??
What does heat loss 3.5 out of 10 mean?

Where do you get the 28% figure from and what does it represent?

Quote:

I DO NOT WORK FOR ELTI but I have invested over £20,000 in their rads
And you still have to pay a peak rate electricity bill on top of that.

Quote:
and they rock. I suppose you heat your house with fan heaters? haha, i dont think so.
The fan heaters that cost £20 to buy and no more to run than your heaters?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Owain Moneysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>