IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parcel Monkey.com claims is a joke!
Views: 9,419
# 1
zahid jahangir
Old 01-12-2009, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Parcel Monkey.com claims is a joke!

Hi everyone,

I am a new on here, and i recently won a bid on Ebay on the 19/11/2009 on a Konica Minolta 5650 EN Magicolor laser printer. The printer is just over 3 months old, and i won it around 179, so i was glad because i was going to buy this same model for around 600+.

The last time i won a laser printer, i travelled to London in my car to collect it, no problems! I decided not to go all the way to Devon to pick the printer i purchased on ebay, so i used Parcelmonkey.com. I thought, great! Just over 28 including inurance for upto 40kg delivery, very cheap! I paid the service on Thursday ( same day i paid for the winning bid on ebay) for a next day delivery, thinking the item will arrive Saturday.

Remember, it is my first time using an independant courier service, rather collecting items in person.

The parcel did not arrive on Monday, around mid day from FedEx and the parcel was damaged. I did say to the FedEx driver that the box is damaged, looked like it was knocked around. I signed for the parcel, and took it inside to see if the item was actually damaged.

I could not believe when i opened the item, it was damaged with cracks and a broken panel.

I emailed parcel monkey straight away with images of damages, and asked for a full refund of service and payout for the damaged item.

After emailing the relevant info, Kevin from the claims investigaton department said i have to wait 8 weeks for FedEx to payout! Why do i have to wait 8 weeks from third party companies to payout, when i paid a service to parcel monkey to do a job they could not deliver properly.

I just want my money back, so parcel monkey can get paid from their third parties after.

I need this printer for my business, im losing money because of christmas orders, and i need something done.

What shall i do?

here are some images, the printer was well packed with lots of bubble wrap and a fragile sticker.

copy and paste this address in your address bar in your internet explorer or firefox web browser -

sorry, as a new user, i cannot put a link up due to spammers!

The easy way is to open up notepad or a text editor program and copy and paste the following ,

http://

Then copy the highlighted text below,

s43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/zippy993/parcel%20monkey%20damages

Then paste this next to the 'http://' without no gaps so it looks like a complete web address.

Then copy the whole address and paste it into your web browser address bar and hit return (enter).

see the evidence yourself.

thanx for reading.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
fuzzgun19
Old 01-12-2009, 4:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sorry, no advice, but the damage looks pretty bad!

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...key%20damages/
I Hate Jobsworths!!!
# 3
alanalea
Old 01-12-2009, 4:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The printer iteslf wasn't packaged very well, only a thin layer of bubblewrap inside a box. Sorry no advice to give you though.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."...Miss piggy
The Following User Says Thank You to alanalea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
suburbanwifey
Old 01-12-2009, 5:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Would it not be quicker and a guaranteed refund to claim from paypal, as item arrived damaged? I'm sure its the sellers responsibility for getting the item to you in working order/as described, regardless of who organizes the courier or who pays for delivery?

Contact your seller...8 weeks is wholly unreasonable!
The Following User Says Thank You to suburbanwifey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
soolin
Old 01-12-2009, 5:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've no advice to give as I think this is going to be horribly tricky. A collection item with a courier arranged by a buyer and where packaging frankly looks poor. I can't see the courier paying out with that level of packaging which leaves the dispute between buyer and seller.

Whenever we get a thread where a buyer wants to arrange their own courier it is this scenario that worries me. Who exactly stands the loss?
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
cyberbob
Old 01-12-2009, 5:09 PM

The packaging was very poor though. . You just need to tell parcel monkey that your contract was with them not fedex whether they pay out with that poor packaging is another matter

When buyers organise the courier it really is an accident waiting to happen as so much can go wrong on both sides
The Following User Says Thank You to cyberbob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
suburbanwifey
Old 01-12-2009, 5:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I just did a bit of hunting around, my advice, tell seller you are not happy and need a refund. Item not as described/arrived damaged!

PayPal will refund you if you return to seller. Best way to move forward I think.
# 8
cyberbob
Old 01-12-2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanwifey View Post
I just did a bit of hunting around, my advice, tell seller you are not happy and need a refund. Item not as described/arrived damaged!

PayPal will refund you if you return to seller. Best way to move forward I think.
But Morally as the buyer organised the courier its really there responsibility. Thats my opinion anyway
# 9
custardy
Old 01-12-2009, 5:41 PM

Quote:
After emailing the relevant info, Kevin from the claims investigaton department said i have to wait 8 weeks for FedEx to payout! Why do i have to wait 8 weeks from third party companies to payout, when i paid a service to parcel monkey to do a job they could not deliver properly.
because to save money you bought that service from a reseller and not direct from the courier

looks very poorly packaged,you many find fedex wont pay out due to the packaging
however this is probably why the seller selected local collect
The Following User Says Thank You to custardy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
zahid jahangir
Old 02-12-2009, 2:02 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

The printer was packed with alot a bubble wrap which i had to take out to examin the problem.

i am just so confused, i do have insurance, so why can i not get a payout!
# 11
soolin
Old 02-12-2009, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahid jahangir View Post
The printer was packed with alot a bubble wrap which i had to take out to examin the problem.

i am just so confused, i do have insurance, so why can i not get a payout!
A bit of bubble wrap in a single box is not sufficient for the item and it may well be that you will be refused on that grounds as your contract with courier required you to have adequate packaging. Usually for something like that a fitted box with some sort of edge protection inside another box would be better.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
zahid jahangir
Old 02-12-2009, 3:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

there was not a bit inside, yes from the images looks abit, but alot was taken out which is sitting ontop of the box now. i just wanted to take some images for evidence.

regards,

zahid
# 13
fuzzgun19
Old 02-12-2009, 5:29 PM

You said that the printer was 3 months old.. I have just seen this -

They don't cover second hand goods.

I Hate Jobsworths!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzgun19 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
soolin
Old 02-12-2009, 8:19 PM

Ah, I didn't feel this was going to end well. Well spotted fuzzgun.
New to Forum? Guide
# 15
DaisyFlower
Old 02-12-2009, 8:51 PM

Your claim is with Parcel Monkey as you have no contract with Fedex. Parcel Monkey can then choose to claim from Fedex if they wish to do so but this is their choice.

The above is correct and Fedex will ask for details of the packaging and proof of cost etc from Parcel Monkey. As above, all goods have to be new to qualify for additional liability.

I assume you did sign the POD as damaged or report within time limits etc?
The Following User Says Thank You to DaisyFlower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
parcel guru
Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I use parcel monkey for my business in the last 2 years, my business depends on it, I usually have 20 to 50 orders per week with them 95% of them get delivered by city link which I have to say I've never had any issues with damages, city link uses 1 guy in the same area which I am friends with and even have his mobile phone number each time parcels need collecting they handle them very well, however because its fedex I did experience poor handling with them before... but the packaging in your case is poor, the box looks very old and not strong enough it woul've needed one of those really strong boxes or even 2, along with foam edge secure and bubbled wrapping, this is the seller's fault not to pack it well, parcels cant be treated like first class titanic passangers no matter which company you use. my clients send their laptops always in strong post office boxes that were not used before and in in foam side protectors. it aint parcel monkey cause they're just the middle man in the office, you should've refused to sign for it when you saw the damage on the outside that way you can declare non receive and get your money back from paypal. if they said 8 weeks you cant blame them, look at terms and conditions besides cheaper isnt always the best.
# 17
phingers
Old 20-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcel guru View Post
I use parcel monkey for my business in the last 2 years, my business depends on it, I usually have 20 to 50 orders per week with them 95% of them get delivered by city link which I have to say I've never had any issues with damages, city link uses 1 guy in the same area which I am friends with and even have his mobile phone number each time parcels need collecting they handle them very well, however because its fedex I did experience poor handling with them before... but the packaging in your case is poor, the box looks very old and not strong enough it woul've needed one of those really strong boxes or even 2, along with foam edge secure and bubbled wrapping, this is the seller's fault not to pack it well, parcels cant be treated like first class titanic passangers no matter which company you use. my clients send their laptops always in strong post office boxes that were not used before and in in foam side protectors. it aint parcel monkey cause they're just the middle man in the office, you should've refused to sign for it when you saw the damage on the outside that way you can declare non receive and get your money back from paypal. if they said 8 weeks you cant blame them, look at terms and conditions besides cheaper isnt always the best.
Always nice of Parcel Monkey to take the trouble to post.

I have a superb story to tell about the idiots at Parcel Monkey but it will take a while to type it so I shall be back!

As a precurser, 2 months of hassle, an agreed refund but still no money.
"It is far better I say nothing and let people think I am an idiot than to open my mouth and confirm it beyond any doubt."
The Following User Says Thank You to phingers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
CrispyDuck
Old 23-07-2010, 10:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down P

Please be careful before you use parcel monkey. City Link failed to collect my parcel twice so I had to get a refund and re-organise a courier. The customer service with PM is terrible. It took me 2 weeks to get a refund and that was only after going through paypal.
I wasted a lot of time and effort and will certainly not use them again.
I find a lot of the positive reviews left for PM on a certain website hard to believe, but maybe that's just me.
If you do need a refund and I guess quite a few of you will then i suggest that you go straight to paypal.
Good luck.
# 19
parcelmonkey company representative
Old 23-07-2010, 10:27 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Hi CrispyDuck,

First of all a big welcome to Money Saving Expert.

Could you please post your order number or email me some details of your claim as I would like to look into it.
matt@parcelmonkey.com

The positive reviews on a certain website posted recently are from genuine business users and we are more than happy to provide contact details for the website in question should they wish to look into them.

We asked them to post genuine comments on there as we felt too many were false and being created by rival companies.
We can't prove this but to counter some of the negatives, and rather than make them up ourselves which would be childish, we approached regular customers to put forward their comments.
# 20
macfly
Old 24-07-2010, 10:43 AM

And here is another happy customer. In a year I have only had one damaged item. That took months to sort out, but I ended up with full compensation. I think it depends on your local driver. Mine is excellent, nice guy and very reliable. As for customer service, costs are based on the number of personnel. I'm with Talktalk broadband, but know not to ring them. They are cheap, but don't invest much in customer service.
7 next day delivery? Bargain.