Sky Maintenance Services contract scam?

Options
I've just had my dad on the phone very worried about a letter he's just received from "Sky Maintenance Services" telling him that he has a contract with them costing £20 a quarter and that he's had this contract since Feb 2009. I haven't seen the letter yet but it doesn't appear to be asking for money.

My Dad has never signed up to anything like this. I've checked the web site and it does seem to be a company. My Dad is 80 and gets really stressed about things like this.

I wondered if anyone had heard it/them? I don't know whether to tell him to ignore it or try to ring them.

Many thanks

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
  • Janetew
    Janetew Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    yes spike7451, it looks as though it could be genuine but I don't know why they are writing to my dad
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has any money been taken from his account.

Its probably a genuine company, they get lists of customers from somewhere but in actual fact they are nothing to do with SKY, there are many threads about thses sort of companies.

Get him to check his bank, if money has gone, contact them to ask tosee a written contract.

Tell dad not to give them any details, they are probably touting for trade.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Janetew wrote: »
    I've just had my dad on the phone very worried about a letter he's just received from "Sky Maintenance Services" telling him that he has a contract with them costing £20 a quarter and that he's had this contract since Feb 2009. I haven't seen the letter yet but it doesn't appear to be asking for money.

My Dad has never signed up to anything like this. I've checked the web site and it does seem to be a company. My Dad is 80 and gets really stressed about things like this.

I wondered if anyone had heard it/them? I don't know whether to tell him to ignore it or try to ring them.

Many thanks

Did he take out sky in feb 2009?

I took mine out in Jan 2009 & had a letter a couple of weeks ago trying to sell me some maintenance/insurance type thing. I didn't read it...just binned it so not too sure what I was being offered....

could it just be that & he's got a bit muddled?

Sorry if I'm presuming too much :)
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Ask them exactly how they got your Fathers details, clearly a breach of data control.

Any company that uses a free web template isn't worth worrying about, to be honest, the are obviously a Mickey Mouse operation.
  • Janetew
    Janetew Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all. He's had sky for many years, well before Feb this year anyway. When I go up to see him, I'll investigate fully. I agree also that the web site doesn't look professional.

In the meantime, I'll tell him to forget it. Thanks everyone
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Options
    spike7451 wrote: »

I hadn't heard of a .co.cc before. Turns out thats a free service along with the template they have used - http://www.co.cc/
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    I think that we should all be concerned how these companies are gaining access to the Sky Customer Database, this is a very serious matter.
  • jamesknight1
    Options
    Janetew wrote: »

Many thanks
    Check your bank account ,payments will show as vp/skymaintenance if they have took money.If they have cancel your card and get re-issued.
    I have just recently been taken in by these people,they said they were from sky as they had all my info which sky hold.
  • retired2
    retired2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I have just had this company on the phone, checking that I still use the Sky+ box they have on record and giving me a new number for Sky service that I am to use from now on. Then Steven told me he needed a couple of details to reduce my contract from £9 per month to £6.99. I asked for details of this £9 pm contract I have and Steven could not tell me about it as he didn't have it in front of him. After more questioning it turned out he didn't know if I had an existing service contract but told me I certainly should have and it would be costing me £9 per month. He told me again he just needed a couple of details, which I guess would have been my bank details as he had my name, address, phone number and Sky box details.
    I asked for his superior who told me they couldn't be sure of their data as they buy it. I intend to complain about this call as it was definitely designed to be misleading and to give me the impression that they were reducing the cost of a pre-existing contract that I hold with them. I also believe they intended to give the impression they are actually Sky.
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport