Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Scones..how can i get them to rise.. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Scones..how can i get them to rise..
Views: 46,672
# 1
fluffynit
Old 26-05-2006, 1:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Thumbs down Scones..how can i get them to rise..

..and look like a baker's scone?:confused:

I have been making scones for years, (using my gran's bero recipe book) but they always come out quite hard and don't rise very much. I have tried cheap flour, top of the range flour, margarine, butter, sugar/caster sugar but still no success.

My dad says his mum's secret was to be as light fingered with the mix as possible, but I still fail

Any tips/advice?

And also, is it possible to bung all the ingredients into the sd253 BMaker to mix up the dough?

fluffynit
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
abbecer
Old 26-05-2006, 1:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm sure my Grandma used to add a teaspoon of baking powder to hers. They were yum, yum. Don't do much baking myself though, so have never tried it.

Hope this helps

Rebecca x
The Following User Says Thank You to abbecer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
SoScrooge
Old 26-05-2006, 1:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes, baking soda is best. I use half a tsp of baking soda and some lemon juice/raspberry vinegar (5 drops, no more).

Another tip is if you use eggs, separate the whites and whisk them before adding in. This trick works wonders on my pancakes and crêpes.

HTH

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoScrooge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Ticklemouse
Old 26-05-2006, 1:56 PM

When you cut them out, DON'T twist the cutter - just push it straight down, lift it up and pop the scone out.

I agree with the 'being light-fingered' tip.

Let us know how your next batch turns out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklemouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
dragonsoup
Old 26-05-2006, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Scones I can do... It is absolutely essential to get as much air into the mix as possible during the rubbing in bit and keep it as cool as possible. I use the food processor and actually shake it gently whilst it's processing. Adding a bit of baking powder helps as well.

Be very gentle when mixing in the liquid, use a metal spoon (or the food processor) as it "cuts " through the mix much better than wood and stop as soon as it is blended. Roll out using gentle pressure.

I wouldn't even consider using a breadmaker. It is designed to work with yeast risen doughs and I suspect the resulting scones would be leaden.

The Following User Says Thank You to dragonsoup For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
twink
Old 26-05-2006, 4:01 PM

you have to keep the scones quite thick when you roll them out if you make them thin they wont rise
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
r.mac
Old 26-05-2006, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklemouse
When you cut them out, DON'T twist the cutter - just push it straight down, lift it up and pop the scone out.

TM is totally spot on with this advice - it transformed my non-rising scones when i switched to this method.

good luck- can we have a taste
Quote:
Originally Posted by aless02 View Post
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
The Following User Says Thank You to r.mac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Thistle-down
Old 26-05-2006, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I usually cut mine at least 3/4" thick, sometimes 1", otherwise they don't seem to rise at all.

~Lynn
The Following User Says Thank You to Thistle-down For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
catznine
Old 26-05-2006, 4:53 PM

I get the best results when I use milk that has "turned slightly" I know the idea sounds yukky but the scones are lovely and fluffy! It is the way my Mum used to make hers. If milk goes off in this house then everyone knows that scones will be on the menu!
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catznine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
ariba10
Old 26-05-2006, 4:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ariba10

Quote:
Originally Posted by catznine
I get the best results when I use milk that has "turned slightly" I know the idea sounds yukky but the scones are lovely and fluffy! It is the way my Mum used to make hers. If milk goes off in this house then everyone knows that scones will be on the menu!

Some vinigar in the milk and leave it for 15/20 mins will have the same effect.
I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ariba10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
zombiecazz
Old 26-05-2006, 5:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to zombiecazz Send a message via Yahoo to zombiecazz
Default Scone recipe

This is the recipe I use. Make sure your oven is hot. light fingers is a must and make the scone mix quite thick when cutting.

This is the basic recipe that can have sultanas, cherries, apple and cinnamon added to it.

2 cups plain flour
1 heaped teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup margarine
1/8 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons milk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and enough milk to mix to a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface, lighty knead into shape about 1 to 1 1/. Cut into 2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet.
Brush with milk to glaze.
Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack. Serve with butter or clotted cream and jam.
"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombiecazz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Bossyboots
Old 26-05-2006, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catznine

That is spot on. The reason is that the acid helps the rising process. You can buy buttermilk and it will have the same effect. You can in fact use anything that is acidic.

I now use a mixture of bicarb and cream of tartar and for the first time in my life I have beautiful light scones.

I cut the liquid through the rubbed in ingredients and then gently bring the ingredients together. I never roll them out, just gently mould it into a round and then use the cutters.

It is essential that you handle the mixture as little as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bossyboots For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
fluffynit
Old 26-05-2006, 6:31 PM

Thanks for all the help!

I will try and make some this weekend, popped out to lidls but their baking section was quite poor so did not manage to get some of the ingredients listed above. Will try somewhere different tomorrow.

I will try your recipe zombiecazz and let you know how I get on.

fluffynit
# 14
Edinburghlass
Old 26-05-2006, 8:31 PM

Let me know when you perfect them and I'll pop round to taste
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
fluffynit
Old 30-05-2006, 7:23 PM

Well I made them this afternoon..very happy with the results

Much better than previous attempts (they rose ) and even taste better too. Thanks for all help again!

Edinburghlass...they won't last long in this house!

fluffynit
The Following User Says Thank You to fluffynit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Edinburghlass
Old 30-05-2006, 10:26 PM

Next Edinburgh meet, you can do the catering

After all some people travel quite a distance to attend
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edinburghlass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Pink.
Old 30-05-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburghlass
Next Edinburgh meet, you can do the catering

After all some people travel quite a distance to attend

If fluffynit's going to bring some scones, I'll be there. I do like to gatecrash the Edinburgh meets.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pink. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
twink
Old 31-05-2006, 8:24 AM

another tip i saw to make them rise is when you have cut them out turn them upside down on the tray
that was what margaruite patten recommended
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
kaznelson
Old 31-05-2006, 10:14 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do you use get a better result if you use Self-Raising flour when adding Baking Soda & Cream of Tartar?
# 20
doddsy
Old 31-05-2006, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In our local teashop the lady cuts out two thinner ones and puts them on top of one another, it makes them easier to cut open and spread the butter on.

Doddsy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doddsy For This Useful Post: Show me >>