Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How to stop housemartins nesting below roof (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to stop housemartins nesting below roof
Views: 32,140
# 1
emmiemac
Old 17-05-2006, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How to stop housemartins nesting below roof

Just wondered if anyone had any idea how to prevent housemartins nesting on your buliding. They built one last year just below our roof right above where we have our bench to sit out on (the only place we can put it), and the droppings were awful. This is driving my husband crazy so please help. They look like they're wanting to bulid one in the same place again and just wondered what might deter them.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
SUN ANGEL
Old 18-05-2006, 12:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Friends of ours in Yorkshire pin plastic carrier bags in the corners of their windows and eaves and the flapping noise they make seems to deter the birds somewhat. Not a very pretty sight have a Tesco or M&S bag decorating the house but it certainly saves all the mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SUN ANGEL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
tranmererovers
Old 18-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My dad has house martins nesting under his eaves every year for the past 35 years!! In the beginning we used to try and knock them down but they built them straight back up again. We tried carrier bags to no avail. In the end dad built an extension (bit extreme I know but honest it wasn't just for the housemartins!) Now the droppings fall on the extension roof. Only problem we have now is cats on the roof trying to get to the nests!
It's easier to get forgiveness than to ask permission
The Following User Says Thank You to tranmererovers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Quincy
Old 18-05-2006, 12:14 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just prod them with a stick and they will drop off

The Housmartins. :rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to Quincy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ChicJo
Old 18-05-2006, 3:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We use chicken wire inbetween the roof and the top of the wall to stop the birdies getting into the eaves - definitely works.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChicJo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Lucie
Old 18-05-2006, 3:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As soon as the nest starts to appear, get the hose pipe or jet wash out & knock it down. Sounds cruel, but it worked for us a couple of years ago & they never came back.
Try no to do it if the nest is established just in case there are eggs in there; but if you do it straight away they won't get chance to lay any eggs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Wig
Old 18-05-2006, 3:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

House martins are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to kill, injure or take an adult bird, or to take, damage or destroy the eggs, young or nest of a house martin whilst it is being built or in use. The Act allows for fines of up to £5,000 for every bird, egg or nest destroyed, or even custodial sentences. If maintenance work that would affect either a natural or artificial house martin nest needs to be carried out, this should be scheduled for the autumn, winter or early spring when the birds are not in residence. At this time of the year one can remove the nests to carry out the work. Make sure that you replace any artificial nests to exactly the same spot where they came from house martins are very particular about the exact location of their nest.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Wig
Old 18-05-2006, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiemac
Just wondered if anyone had any idea how to prevent housemartins nesting on your buliding. They built one last year just below our roof right above where we have our bench to sit out on (the only place we can put it), and the droppings were awful. This is driving my husband crazy so please help. They look like they're wanting to bulid one in the same place again and just wondered what might deter them.

As I just quoted above if they are actively building or using a nest it is illegal to disturb them. In future if you want to do something, say in October, you can go up a ladde knock the nest off (if empty) and fasten something to the wall in this area, something like a length of drain pipe (horizontally under the eaves), would stop them from building next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
paullwill8
Old 18-05-2006, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This definately works!
I had this for three years, then I secured a "cuddly toy cat" to the area where they would nest.
Never been back since.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always recieve lots
The Following User Says Thank You to paullwill8 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
devon-gnome
Old 18-05-2006, 9:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

When the house martins were abroad (winter time), I got a builder to remove the nests and put a net-covered frame up. He fixed it from the guttering to about a foot below it. This was 4 years ago and they've not been back since.
The Following User Says Thank You to devon-gnome For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Nile
Old 18-05-2006, 9:46 PM

Hello emmiemac

Some of the suggestions already posted will be either expensive or involve getting ladders out.

Why not place a plastic sheet over your bench, to be removed only when you want to sit on the bench? This option won't cost you much and will allow your birds to rear their young. The wildlife and emmiemac family can live in harmony.

Let us know your decision

Kind Regards

Nile
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
emmiemac
Old 19-05-2006, 7:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nile
Hello emmiemac

Some of the suggestions already posted will be either expensive or involve getting ladders out.

Why not place a plastic sheet over your bench, to be removed only when you want to sit on the bench? This option won't cost you much and will allow your birds to rear their young. The wildlife and emmiemac family can live in harmony.

Let us know your decision

Kind Regards

Nile
We certainly weren't planning to knock a nest down as are too nice to do that to the birdies. But it does look like we'll need to wait till the egg season is over so we can affix something as a preventative measure. Not sure about the plastic cover over the bench, think we'll just have to do without one for a while. We are happy for them to have their nest on our building, it's just that it's the worst possible place!
The Following User Says Thank You to emmiemac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Dollybird01
Old 27-05-2010, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I used to have the same problem and an elderly neighbour advised to get old rags soaked in paraffin and use them to stuff into any gaps where the house martins might have got in between the house wall and eaves. For where they just built the nest to the side of the house under the roof, use the rag soaked in paraffin and wipe off the old bird poo marks off the wall and soak that area in paraffin. From what he told me it was part sight of the poo marks and some kind of smell they left behind that brought them back to nest in the same spot. I used it in areas of the roof that I could get to and it did work....just thought it might be a cheaper alternative to roof extensions etc
# 14
paddy's mum
Old 27-05-2010, 12:48 PM

(I know it's an old thread but the situation still existsfor other householders)

I'd feel it a privilege to have them choosing my roof as the focus of their thousands of miles of migration.

Why not attach a wide plank to the wall just below the nests using cheap and cheerful hanging basket brackets? It would protect your bench, and anyone sitting on it, while allowing the birds to nest undisturbed. If you are planning on sitting out during the summer evenings, think of all those bugs being caught and no longer around to bite and bring you out in itchy lumps!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to paddy's mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
IronMaidenFan
Old 27-05-2010, 5:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've got birds nesting in my kitchen (extension) roof. They've got in in-between the guttering and the tiles - a small piece of motar has come away and they've got in and now I have squawking little birdies calling for their mum all day .

The only reason I knew they were there was all the bird lime (along with slugs devouring it ) in my garden so got a ladder out to investigate.

When they've gone I'm going to get a roofer out to check over the roof and seal up any holes so they don't come back next year.

Some of my neighbours use the carrier bag method - yes it looks unsightly but it works - maybe I should have used them and then the birds wouldn't have come to me for lodgings

Last edited by IronMaidenFan; 27-05-2010 at 5:51 PM.
# 16
shegar
Old 27-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

And then theres me ,desperate to get the birds to nest , ive even put up a ceramic bowl nest to try to tempt them in , I would dearly love to have them nesting on my bungalow,, I wouldnt worry about a bit of s..t overhead, put a peice of marine board up so you wont get it on your bench. or send them my way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shegar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ormus
Old 27-05-2010, 10:19 PM

hang up a few old CDs with fishing line.
scares most birds away.

esp the cliff richard greatest hits.
Get some gorm.
The Following User Says Thank You to ormus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
IronMaidenFan
Old 27-05-2010, 11:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormus View Post
esp the cliff richard greatest hits.
# 19
andyman2
Old 01-07-2010, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Rather have the house Martins than you lot around. Many of you are breaking the law and destroying what little nature we have got left.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to andyman2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
leveller2911
Old 01-07-2010, 5:59 PM

Totally agree andyman..As stated this is an old thread but I find it shocking that people wish to get rid of a migrant bird that flies half way round the world ,its a privalidge to have swallows, House Martins and if your very very lucky Swifts...... Is it really such a big issue in your sad lives to be inconvenienced(in your opinions) for a couple of months..........Shocking mindset and shame on all of you who want to get rid...........
If we in parliament cannot gain from ruling,then there is very little point in us being here: (Lord Manchester 1650) :rolleyes: how true!

Last edited by leveller2911; 11-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to leveller2911 For This Useful Post: Show me >>