PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

stains In plastic  shower tray  

Hi,

as most of you know have moved, and the shower tray has yukky mark round plughole, is sort of yellowish? any ideas for getting it off, don't want to damage the plughule (is stainless steel i think, tray is white.)

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bleach??

if you dont want to use bleach put a plug in or bung up the hole
    then put a tablespoon of bicarb onto it add half mug of vinegar

or use the peroxide mix I gave for cleaning the bath
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wasn't sure if bleach would damage the plug hole. will give it a bash though.
  • mateyboy
    mateyboy Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Ive got a plasic shower tray - and over the past few months, ive noticed I have yellow stains like scum in the grooves of the tray - Ive tried all the household cleaning bits and bobs but It wont shift it .

has anybody got any suggestions

Thanks
    It's nice to be Important

But It's Important to be nice
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    if you can block up the outlet
    try filling the tray with water and a few steradent and leaving overnight

or if not use an old toothbrush to brush on some thick bleach and leave for a while
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mateyboy
    mateyboy Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks for that ill have a go tonight
    It's nice to be Important

But It's Important to be nice
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bleach is all right if it is a white shower tray but if not you are in trouble.

I used a solution of white vinegar and water - heated it up in microwave then put it in spray bottle and sprayed the stains - left for 30 mins or longer then scubbed off residue with miracle cloth.(a cloth with little raised dots to reach crevices)

It worked really well :):)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • I find Astonish cream on one of those pads with green nylon type scourer attached works for me. Maybe not the first time, but after a couple of goes......

I clean up after a shower, so rather than bend down, I use my foot on top of the pad to do the scrubbing! :P

Also gets the water marks off the glass door too.

Astonish may well be available in some of your local discount stores. Our "Home Bargains" has it at 85p, and lasts for ages.

Very mildly abrasive, so take care on plastic bases.

Regards,

Tim S.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I use bleach solution on my cream coloured bath
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a pale cream shower tray with lots of little grooves that are hard to clean. I can't block my drain outlet, so I use old fashioned vim (with bleach) . Whilst the tray is still wet, I sprinkle it liberally around. Cos it's a powder, it stays put. I leave for as long as I can - overnight sometimes, then I scrub it with a dish brush. (No, not the one from the kitchen ;D ) Good rinse and it's clean. Also, it's easy to see the bits you've missed, so just sprinkle on them next time.
  • gotan
    gotan Posts: 72 Forumite
    Part of my white plastic shower tray has gone pink. I do clean it but nothing gets the pink off - no, I don't dye my hair pink in the shower but can't vouch for what's in my aussie shampoo :D

Have tried stardrops, bleach and ordinary cleaners which have no effect. It is starting to look seriously manky but I'm not wanting to replace it in the next few months due to other expenses. Can anyone help please?

many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport