Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 30th Sep 09, 11:48 AM
    • 6,827Posts
    • 71,655Thanks
    mioliere
    Knit Your Square To Give Your Share - Part 3
    • 30th Sep 09, 11:48 AM
    Knit Your Square To Give Your Share - Part 3 30th Sep 09 at 11:48 AM
    Hi everyone

Penelope Penguin has been in touch with me about this ever-growing thread and has suggested we start a new one today. She will link back to the old one as soon as she sees this new one, and place a link on that back to here, so we will be able to carry on as before. Nothing will change but, from now on, please post on here. You have yourselves to thank for this - your time, generosity, and sheer 'niceness' has made this group, as Penelope Penguin says, 'sooooooo' popular that it needed Part 3 to start sooner than I had anticipated!

Look forward to seeing you all here!

KathyXX

LINK HERE TO ALL MAYTAURUS'S LINKS - patterns, tutorials, addresses of charities, and so on:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=25685267&postcount=143

Last edited by mioliere; 21-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Page 1
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 30th Sep 09, 11:49 AM
    • 17,084 Posts
    • 132,744 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 30th Sep 09, 11:49 AM
    • 30th Sep 09, 11:49 AM
    Welcome to the brand new thread!

Knit your square part 2 is here for anyone who would like to refer back

Penny. x
    Last edited by Penelope Penguin; 02-10-2009 at 1:38 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
    • shazrobo
    • By shazrobo 30th Sep 09, 6:31 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    shazrobo
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:31 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:31 PM
    just started my second scarf using the loopa, its as addictive as knitting.
    kathy, if postage to france isnt too expensive, i could buy you one and post it over.

shaz xxx
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it
    • roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 30th Sep 09, 6:36 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:36 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:36 PM
    Like you Kathy I think I shall have to cobble up my own little bit of wood/stiff cardboard to do the shazrobo scarfs, just need to work out the sizes Might get my little sis to visit a shop with a tape measure.....ha ha then I can go and find some of that hedgiehoggie eyelash wool and see what I can come up with.

Jean in France - made it to another whole bunch of forum PART THREE - wow how often is that likely to happen then?
    xx
    Last edited by roamin in the gloamin; 30-09-2009 at 6:38 PM.
    The Hooligan Wooligan – age 9¾
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
    • roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 30th Sep 09, 6:37 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:37 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:37 PM
    Just been back to part two and said thanks to everybody, so I will now bookmark this one and then go from there - hope to see you all on the other side - will it be the "twighlight Zone"?
    Jean in France
    xx
    Last edited by roamin in the gloamin; 30-09-2009 at 6:41 PM.
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    • shezmit
    • By shezmit 30th Sep 09, 6:47 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    shezmit
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:47 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:47 PM
    Its amazing that we have now got part 3 of this thread,
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
    • shazrobo
    • By shazrobo 30th Sep 09, 6:48 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    shazrobo
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:48 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:48 PM
    the loopa is made of plastic, but thick card would work.
    the outer measurement of the mini one is 12 an half cm wide, and 11 cm deep.
    the thickness is 4 cm all round

shaz xxx
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it
    • roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 30th Sep 09, 6:56 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:56 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 6:56 PM
    shazrobo I am off to find a dodd (technical term) of something plasticy to see if I can make one......found the instructions on how to use it on dougald/google - away to have a go.
    Jean in France
    xx
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 30th Sep 09, 7:04 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    • 30th Sep 09, 7:04 PM
    • 30th Sep 09, 7:04 PM
    Shaz - thanks for your kind offer but, now that you've provided the measurements, I shall definitely have a go at making one!

Jean - glad to see you found the new thread! I hope it won't be the Twilight Zone; really, it's an indication of our success! Roll on to Part 4 - whenever that is!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• k2tog
    • By k2tog 30th Sep 09, 7:54 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 4,638 Thanks
    k2tog
    We've been evicted!
    How strange to have a new "home" in September. Guess that means some of us burble on too much .
    I have misplaced a knitting needle today :confused:. I'm starting to think my house may be in the Twilight Zone - or a complete "safe place". Haven't seen your puter lead though Pam . Shattered this evening so not sure what I'll be working on but it really ought to be one of my WIPs rather than something new - can't face working out where I am in the ongoing patterns though!
  • prfungi

Here's me! isn't it exciting!

luv
    Pam
    Pam.
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 30th Sep 09, 8:08 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Evening all.

K2tog - I hope it doesn't feel as if we've been evicted, just provided with a brand new home which will have links back to the old thread. I think it's more that we've become victims of our own tremendous success!

I hope Maytaurus will add her wonderful links to this thread, too. I shall ask her if she wants to add or adapt her main link post, then it can be copied and pasted to the start of this new thread. Maytaurus - I hope you are keeping well and aware of our move.

I will also add the latest update to our new home tomorrow.

Pam - I agree, this is exciting!

Hope you are all having a great evening.

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• In Search Of Me

tada! To celebrate new thread and amazing satisfaction of mastering a granny square...
    Last edited by In Search Of Me; 30-09-2009 at 8:51 PM.
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• mioliere
    • By mioliere 30th Sep 09, 8:53 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    ISOM - I'm so pleased you've cracked the granny square! Full marks for persistence and determination and a great way to celebrate our new thread!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• ChocClare
    Ooh a new thread! I was too scared to join in the last one - it looked too big and pointy.

Whatch'all knitting? I am finishing off a dishcloth (bet you wish you were as exciting as me) and then moving on to Babypack Project stuff - have to sew buttons on a cardigan and sew up some bootees plus put some eyes on a teddy - why is the finishing off always so boring?

Any good causes I should know about that use acrylic yarn? Someone just donated half a ton of four ply machine knitting cones to the home where I work and it's too fine for my ladies to use, so I said I was sure I could use it for charity stuff. Don't mind knitting two strands together (too tangly when you're a 93-year-old knitter but OK for me!).
  • helyg
    As there is a new thread I am going to pluck up the courage to ask...

The last thread slightly scared me as it was sooo big and I found it hard to find out exactly what to do... but I have tons of bits and bobs of yarn and am fairly competent at knitting and would love to do something useful with it, I'm just not sure how to find out what to knit and where to send it!

Could anyone point me in the direction of an "explains everything" post?
    • L C Wilson
    • By L C Wilson 30th Sep 09, 10:01 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    L C Wilson
    Hi newbies

Maytaurus has an excellent post in the old thread where she has links to everything you could possibly wish for:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=19076075&postcount=964

If you look down her list to 'preemies UK' and 'loving hands' you will find that both of these are always very grateful for any help you can give.

Lorna
    Last edited by L C Wilson; 30-09-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Totals: 30 Buntings, 2 Gowns, 13 Chalky Squares
  • helyg
    Thanks! I'm tempted to start with a knitted boob...
    • k2tog
    • By k2tog 30th Sep 09, 10:22 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 4,638 Thanks
    k2tog
    Have just been looking at the loopa - it looks intriguingly simple - maybe a bit like weaving from the instructions? That's going on my list .
    Found a lovely ball of actual wool (bought ages ago before I realised that you can buy something other than the expensive stuff the pattern suggests ) in deep pink so will start a little girlie hat on circulars.
    OK, I'm taking bets - how long before we out-chat and out-knit this shiny new thread? I reckon if we keep expanding at the current rate we'll be moving again in about mid May . Any advances on that?
    Goodnight everyone x
    Hooray newbies are coming to the new home
    Good to see you all. Know what you mean about the thread size being a bit scary but we're all friendly here and there is a lot of knowledge and help for those that need it - like me . Hope you all love it here.
    Last edited by k2tog; 30-09-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Hooray!
  • In Search Of Me
    Lovely that we have a silver lining with our new shiny thread...new shiny people! Welcome one and all...lots of projects for all standards of knitters...preemie hats are great for using up odd bits of wool ...
    In answer to ongoing projects I'm trying to do a jumper (baby) for Fergus (weezl 50p ladys baby who I could eat up hes so yummy!) and a granny square blanket - not decided who for yet but will be a christmas pressie me thinks! I have no money...
    Anyone got a good easy scarf but dead impressive pattern that I could do for pressies? Thn bits of charity stuff in the middle...for the newbies the charity stuff is added tototals weekly - we just write in red at the end of the week what we've done and voila a magic fairly adds it all up and tells us how wonderful we are!! So dont be scared! Lots of us are new!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,846Posts Today

9,023Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin