Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Parking ticket by Euro car parks (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Parking ticket by Euro car parks
Views: 63,550
# 1
donny osmonds mad fan
Old 11-05-2006, 1:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Parking ticket by Euro car parks

just wondering if they are normally this corrupt?

cheeky gits we have never parked without a ticket, never got a ticket on the car and whats more, the letter they were sent said we have never paid it, how can we when we never got it and that day my husband parked outside the car park gates to go to the cashpoint next to it was about 30 seconds and the man said why dont you park in the car park and he said because I am not 'parking', man walked off end of however he obviously must have written a ticket out and binned it or something grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

no signs outside the car park to say you will be ticketed it is the road for gods sake

anyone ever appealed one of these and had it granted?

the girl on the phone couldnt tell us anything, all they had was our number plate, where is said car make it said other, where it said offence it said other, every details was marked as other. My husband has sent a letter appealing it by recorded delivery to ask for more details and debate it but we so dont need a £50 and I worry they will not open the letter within 14 days and it will go to a debt collecting agency

sooo angry!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to donny osmonds mad fan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
JohalaReewi
Old 11-05-2006, 1:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

http://www.parkingticket.co.uk

Have a rummage.
# 3
smcaul
Old 11-05-2006, 8:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My other half got accused of parking in a Disabled bay and got a ticket from this bunch of Jokers - she was actually parked in a mother and baby bay, I emailed them the details but they dimissed my claim, so I sent the ticket to them telling them what had happend, told them that if they persist I will charge them for my time in sorting it out, I also asked them to provide photographic evidence - funnily enough I have heard nothing since.
The Following User Says Thank You to smcaul For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Catch A Fire
Old 13-05-2006, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm sure it's been on here before that a company cannot issue any kind of Penalty Notice if they don't have an interest in the land. If it was a public highway the ticket should have no authority whatsoever.

Agree with smcaul - don't pay it. Ask them to prove that you owe them the money. I bet they can't!
# 5
hjb123
Old 13-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I wouldnt pay it either - I would ask them for evidence and if they cant provide it say tough Im not paying it!

From what you said the parking warden was obviously wanting you to pay about £1 to park and draw money from the cash machine!

If there are no signs where you parked to say you cant park there then they probably have no chance!
# 6
marcus01293
Old 13-05-2006, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you don't pay the fine it will go up and cost you a lot more more. You can appeal but if you do then you run that risk of having to pay more, by the sounds of it you have a good case and I'd take the risk if I was you.
# 7
Crabman
Old 14-05-2006, 8:03 AM

Have a chat with your local trading standards they sometimes have ways of twisting companies arms... it worked for me in a different situation, but it won't hurt to try Good Luck
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

# 8
wobbley
Old 14-05-2006, 2:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus01293
If you don't pay the fine it will go up and cost you a lot more more. You can appeal but if you do then you run that risk of having to pay more, by the sounds of it you have a good case and I'd take the risk if I was you.
Firstly, this isn't a fine. It is a charge made by a private company, not a local authority fine. Secondly, you have the right to appeal without the charge being raised, and this is true of proper "official" parking fines also.
I currently have one of these companies pestering me for money. Loads of letters to and fro, telephone calls, debt collection agencies and they still dont get the message - "Sod off, I'm not paying you. Take me to court if you want."
There are a few circumstances where these private parking control companies can be useful but I think they've been too greedy for their own good and turned into parasites. Hence last year's SIA legislation.
Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
The Following User Says Thank You to wobbley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
marcus01293
Old 14-05-2006, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If I have to pay something from parking illegally I call it a fine, technically you are correct it's not a fine it's called a penalty. I have previously received one of these parking tickets as I don't recognise NCP or whoever it was that gave it me as an authority either (I won in the end). I know the fine or charge goes up if you don't pay I'm not too sure if they would keep it at the orgininal fine or charge if you lost, I wouldn't count on it although it should be at the original fine or charge. Just me not trusting them whoever gave these people authority to issue tickets needs shooting.
Anyways look into this website it will give the correct advice and procedure etc. Good luck not that you need it, you should win no one trusts these parking agency's especially when a parking ticket sounds suspect.
(Hoping it's ok to quote a government website on here for advice)
http://www.parking-appeals.gov.uk/ab...ju_process.asp

Last edited by marcus01293; 14-05-2006 at 10:10 PM.
# 10
donny osmonds mad fan
Old 15-05-2006, 8:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thank you for your replies, we havent heard anything as of yet and my husband asked for photographic evidence in his letter as I know local authority ones have digital cameras these days dont they (they do round here anyway).

THing is he is a policeman and is law abiding too lol, he had a ticket in london and whilst it was genuine mistake on his behalf and bad out of place signs etc he accepted ok he was most likely wrong and paid it so it isnt as though he is just trying to wiggle out of it, he was never parked there as it was.

He went to the supermarket and asked and the manager said they have had other similar complaints, that bit apparently the supermarket do own, however the signs are only the other side of the gated area ie the car park which hubby has also said in his letter.

He is going to go down and take some pictures just in case it goes further but hopefully they will let it go as surely the parking attendent is wrong as he hasnt even marked down the offence etc!

thanks again
H
xx
# 11
Fruitcake
Old 15-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Write to the company concerned. Give them a list of reasons why you are not going to pay. Include one called OTHER with a tick against it. Ignore anything else unless it is a court summons.

Fruitcake

You Only Listen To Me When I'm Wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to Fruitcake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
sickpuppyhaha79
Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Post Euro Car Parks

Help please,I have just had the pleasure of removing a euro car parks 'Parking Charge Notice' from my windshield. Apparently i was 'Parked not in bay, on the access entrance'. Ok, I wasn't parked in a bay, but only because the car park (tescos) was so full there were no spaces left. Both myself and another vehicle used a bit of space that was out of the way and should have been marked up as a couple of parking bays. We certainly was not in anyones way, we took care to wait and see traffic pass us unhindered before going into the store.The point is I don't want to pay. I was not causing anyone anywhere any harm, I was trying to use the store.What should i do? Ignore the ticket till they contact me then ask for proof, then denie i was the driver, and accuse them of harassing me? or should i appeal to them as there signage was woeful and inadequate, my vehicle was not causing anyone inconvience?Or do you have a better plan of attack?All help gratefully recieved, i will keep you updated on my case.MRB
The Following User Says Thank You to sickpuppyhaha79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
peter_the_piper
Old 02-07-2007, 1:26 PM

I suggest you look at http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30
and they will help you with this invoice. No matter the parking people call it it is only an invoice, not a fine, penalty or whatever.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
# 14
sarahg1969
Old 02-07-2007, 2:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_the_piper View Post
I suggest you look at http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30
and they will help you with this invoice. No matter the parking people call it it is only an invoice, not a fine, penalty or whatever.
I agree.

Ignore it. They will then get the reg keeper's details from the DVLA and send a further demand.

At that point, the reg keeper can write to them, thanking them for their invoice, and suggesting that they pursue the driver for payment.

The reg keeper is under no obligation whatsoever to provide any information, or to pay the so-called "fine", which is, in fact just an invoice for either breach of contract or damages in tort.

You could also suggest that they do not write to you again, unless to confirm the invoice has been cancelled, and referring them to the Protection from Harassment Act.

You do not need to say anything else. Do not refer to "appeal" or ask them for any further information, or give them any more information. Simply tell them to pursue the driver and to leave you alone.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PAY!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahg1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
sickpuppyhaha79
Old 03-07-2007, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool kind regards

thanks sarah, you words have reassured me that the little man can be wrong and still get away with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sickpuppyhaha79 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
pinkshoes
Old 03-07-2007, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppyhaha79 View Post
Help please,I have just had the pleasure of removing a euro car parks 'Parking Charge Notice' from my windshield. Apparently i was 'Parked not in bay, on the access entrance'. Ok, I wasn't parked in a bay, but only because the car park (tescos) was so full there were no spaces left. Both myself and another vehicle used a bit of space that was out of the way and should have been marked up as a couple of parking bays. We certainly was not in anyones way, we took care to wait and see traffic pass us unhindered before going into the store.The point is I don't want to pay. I was not causing anyone anywhere any harm, I was trying to use the store.What should i do? Ignore the ticket till they contact me then ask for proof, then denie i was the driver, and accuse them of harassing me? or should i appeal to them as there signage was woeful and inadequate, my vehicle was not causing anyone inconvience?Or do you have a better plan of attack?All help gratefully recieved, i will keep you updated on my case.MRB
Before you refuse to pay, I'd check the small print for the carpark. If Tesco wanted that area painted with white lines for extra bays, then they would have probably painted them there. It probably says in the small print that you have to park in the bays... and if it DOES say that, then you'll end up paying a bigger fine for not paying it straight away. Just go down to the carpark and check the signs!

It just seems strange that they'd issue a ticket if you WERE allowed to park there, coz the people issuing the tickets aren't exactly intelligent, so just follow simple instructions... maybe it's a space reserved for an emergency vehicle? or for large vehicles to turn?
# 17
sarahg1969
Old 03-07-2007, 4:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshoes View Post
Before you refuse to pay, I'd check the small print for the carpark. If Tesco wanted that area painted with white lines for extra bays, then they would have probably painted them there. It probably says in the small print that you have to park in the bays... and if it DOES say that, then you'll end up paying a bigger fine for not paying it straight away. Just go down to the carpark and check the signs!

It just seems strange that they'd issue a ticket if you WERE allowed to park there, coz the people issuing the tickets aren't exactly intelligent, so just follow simple instructions... maybe it's a space reserved for an emergency vehicle? or for large vehicles to turn?

Pinkshoes - you have to understand that this is not a fine. It's an invoice based on a purported contract, or alternatively a request for payment of damages in tort.

They will not pursue this through the courts as they will not win.

There's no point checking the signs at all. All sickpuppy needs to do is to write when he receives a reminder, advising them to pursue the driver. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sarah
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahg1969 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
jeanna
Old 14-05-2008, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

my husband stupidly parked in a disabled space while he ran into tesco for rolls. when he came out 5 mins later the attendant had written out a fine for £70.he said as he had already written it he couldn't do anything.is this legal.
# 19
mute_posting
Old 14-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanna View Post
my husband stupidly parked in a disabled space ......already written it he couldn't do anything.is this legal.
I would say so - your husband was presumably parked in a disabled space without a permit?

Why would the ticket not be legal?
:confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.
The Following User Says Thank You to mute_posting For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
peter_the_piper
Old 14-05-2008, 11:06 PM

Afaik, whilst its not good to park in a disabled space, the invoice(not ticket) means absolutely nothing. Unless a ticket is issued by a council or the police it is no more legal than if I came to your house and put a ticket (sorry invoice) on your windscreen, would you be likely to pay me?
See post 17.
Sorry, normal service will be resumed shortly.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter_the_piper For This Useful Post: Show me >>