PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal but happy in winter?

Options
Last winter we went on a real money saving drive, turning lights off and changing to energy saving bulbs etc. It was quite depressing.

Does anyone have some tips of how to stay cheerful during the dark winter months (I love christmas!) without getting bored/depressed

Comments

• esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    From a few threads that I've read a lot of people used candles, the twinkling of candlelight is magical!

Perhaps start a new craft that can be tied in with OS ways - knitting, card making etc? Or ensure that once a week you get out for a nice day out - can be OS - take a picnic, go to a favourite spot, get out in the sunshine - or the brisk wind!
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • Odette
    Odette Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Snuggles in bed :beer:
    Aim - BUYING A HOUSE :eek: by November 2013!
    Saved = 100% on 03/07/12 :j
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    open fires, walks and bike rides, good books, early nights!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Nitha
    Nitha Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    PJs, candles and hot chocolate - lush!
    Taking baby-steps :beer:
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Making your own decorations with cones etc collected on walks. Making your own prezzies for relatives, little jars of jam or cakes etc.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    It may be that you suffer from seasonal affective disorder, so that lack of light was a big issue (it would be in my family). Perhaps the energy saving bulbs were one step too far - and yes, I know it's hard to find anything else, obviously the highers-up don't think SAD is a real problem. The candle idea might help, also perhaps get a few table lamps to brighten up the room?
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • toolittletime
    Options
    We've got a sofa bed in the living room and when it's miserable and horrible outside the kids gather together all the duvets and blankets and we pull the sofa bed out and all pile on to watch dvds - warm and cosy!

We use candles a lot too - and the log burner adds heat and real atmosphere.
    20K by Xmas 2010 (10 in 10 challenge - debt):
    Debt: £799.21/£10500
    Savings: £0 / £9500
  • winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    open fires, walks and bike rides, good books, early nights!

sounds fab. I wish we had a real fire. :D

Getting the candles ready, got new pj's coming. Just need a big fleecy blanket now.
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    kunekune wrote: »
    It may be that you suffer from seasonal affective disorder, so that lack of light was a big issue (it would be in my family). Perhaps the energy saving bulbs were one step too far - and yes, I know it's hard to find anything else, obviously the highers-up don't think SAD is a real problem. The candle idea might help, also perhaps get a few table lamps to brighten up the room?

I can't do energy saving bulb either, I hate them. Daylight bulbs are the way forward, I used to buy them in hobbycraft. I figure if I try to keep ones off I'm not using, then I don't actually waste that much power. :o

Otherwise, bring winter foliage in to brighten the place up, make sure the house is aired and not stuffy, have something in the house that smells nice, change the linen frequently and keep the place tidy so your not depressed by pile of things to do :) Try to get outside at least once a day :)
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jd1000 wrote: »
    Last winter we went on a real money saving drive, turning lights off and changing to energy saving bulbs etc. It was quite depressing.

Does anyone have some tips of how to stay cheerful during the dark winter months (I love christmas!) without getting bored/depressed

Woodburner; cinnamon bread and scented candles. Snuggles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure