Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    vet8
    A moral dilemma. What would you do?
    • 21st Jul 09, 7:59 PM
    A moral dilemma. What would you do? 21st Jul 09 at 7:59 PM
    I would like to know how people would react to a situation which happened to my brother recently. I know in advance how the po-faced, holier-than-thou banking staff will respond, but I would like to know what normal people think.

My brother was on holiday in Jersey and on the last day he went to an ATM to withdraw some cash. Just as he was about to insert his card the machine shoved out a large wodge of notes. There was no-one around and he had not noticed anyone walking away from the ATM when he arrived, so he grabbed the money and shot off. He met his wife and friends and they counted the cash - it was 300!!

He then spent about an hour debating what to do. He had not got as far as putting his card in the machine, so the bank had no way of identifying him that way. There would have been CCTV probably, but he was leaving the island in a few hours and would be miles away before the money was even missed. In the end he decided he did not want to risk it and took the money back to the bank, handed it over to a very surprised cashier and left quickly.

What would you do in that situation?

I must say that I would be very inclined to take it if I thought I could get away with it. Yes I know it is not my money and it would be theft, but I feel no compunction at all about taking money from banks. They are the biggest corporate crooks going and the chance to get something off them for free is too good to miss. I also take the line that I am one of the few workers who keep this country going, unlike the scroungers. I am (usually!) honest and hard working, I pay lots of tax and NI, pay my TV licence, car tax, car insurance, council tax etc. etc. I never claim any handouts and get nothing for free, so to have a bit of luck like this and get 300 given to me would be too much to pass up.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,597Posts Today

7,551Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning

• Warning! Twitter's app update's outrageously reset autoplay video settings, so you eat data at speed. Full help http://t.co/42tOE1EagR RT

• RT @Harry_Bhoy: @MartinSLewis Saved my gran £323 by changing her electricity provider,and haggled her free broadband from Virgin worth £264?

• Follow Martin