Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • aussielle
    • 15th Mar 06, 11:07 PM
    • 15th Mar 06, 11:07 PM
    I only ever buy turkey or pork mince. Anything you would normally make with beef mince will be fine

Chilli
    spag bol
    cottage pie
    burgers
    lasagne
    mince & onion pie
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • wigginsmum
    • 15th Mar 06, 11:14 PM
    • 15th Mar 06, 11:14 PM
    I used to make small pork meatballs with finely chopped onion and apricots, and bind them with a bit of beaten egg, then fry them and serve with a soy, garlic and honey sauce over rice. I haven't a clue about quantities because I just used to make it up as I went along.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Noozan
    • 15th Mar 06, 11:40 PM
    • 15th Mar 06, 11:40 PM
    Saute very finely chopped onion and crushed garlic; allow to cool. Place pork mince in bowl and add onions and garlic. Add cornflour, seasoning and mix well. Take stalks out of mushrooms and use pork mixture to stuff them. Heat oil in frying pan, fry mushrooms meat side down over med heat for 5 mins, then turn over for 2 mins.

Make gravy separately and serve over mushrooms.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • profpatpending
    • 16th Mar 06, 6:48 AM
    • 16th Mar 06, 6:48 AM
    How about pork and apple burgers?
    Put the mince in a bowl with a finely chopped onion, a grated apple (peeled first) a beaten egg, salt & pepper, fresh or dried sage to taste. Squidge it all together to mix and then take out a medium sized handful. I usually push a chunk of chees in the middle and then shape it into a fat burger. Fry on a medium heat (they take a while to cook 'cos mine are usually quite big). They are GORGEOUS!!!! If nobody knows the cheese is there it's a lovely surprise when you get to the middle.
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 16th Mar 06, 8:16 AM
    • 3,775 Posts
    • 5,368 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    • 16th Mar 06, 8:16 AM
    • 16th Mar 06, 8:16 AM
    My favourite recipe with pork mince is this.

Fry pork mince, add a bunch of chopped spring onions, a knob of freshly grated ginger, a clove of crushed garlic, a deseeded and chopped chilli, then add a wraper of rice nooodles (pre soaked) to the wok, and soy sauce, yummmmmmmmmmm

Nice served with a wedge of lime and thai chilli sauce and possibly some crushed peanuts.
  • melt71
    • 27th Mar 06, 11:16 AM
    pork mince recipe...need guidance!
    • 27th Mar 06, 11:16 AM
    Hi all,

still doing well with the meal planning and general money saving. I got some very cheap mince from Somerfield unexpectadly the other day (21p!) and wondered if the following idea sounds ok;

I want to try to make a kind of stew with the following ingredients
    400gm Pork Mince
    Apple chopped
    Stock (Plus apple juice)
    Carrots
    Onions
    Potatoes

What herbs/spices could I add to help with the flavouring? I've got paprika which I used in a pork stew a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure what else goes with pork.

Any ideas?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 27th Mar 06, 11:31 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 27th Mar 06, 11:31 AM
    • 27th Mar 06, 11:31 AM
    Sounds good I did roast pork yesterday and used rosemary and garlic with it-very nice.

You could make a pork shepherd's pie with those ingredients.
  • JB2006
    • 27th Mar 06, 11:36 AM
    • 27th Mar 06, 11:36 AM
    With pork mince I usually make either a chilli or a spagbol. Yummy!!
  • Lillibet
    You could do a Mexican casserole with the pork & onions. I add chilli flakes & chopped peppers, & kidney beans if I need to pad it out a bit, and fry off, then layer like a lasagne but use tortilla chips & pureed sweetcorn instead of pasta & white sauce, top with loads of cheese. It's really yummy (and it works with any kind of mine, not just pork)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • second chance
    • By second chance 18th May 06, 8:20 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    second chance
    What To Do With Pork Mince?!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi Im New On This Site And Just Getting To Grips With This Moneysaving Thing I Found Some Pork Mince In The Freezer Which I Need To Use Today What On Earth Can I Do??? I Dont Even Know Why I Brought It!!!! Any Advice Greatly Appreciated As I Dont Want To Throw It And Am Aiming For A No Spend Day
    barclaycard £9400
    halifax £5650
    od £500 od £600 santander £2025
    vertbaudet £423 next £780 studio £1250
  • puffinmuffin
    You could do some meatballs, just mince, onion, herbs and some egg. i would have them with a tomato sauce and pasta.
  • Queenie
    You could make a pasta sauce, just as with minced beef.

You could make hm burgers with the pork mince, add a spoonful of apple sauce and a handful of fresh breadcrumbs, form into balls, flatten into burgers then chill for half hour before cooking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • bluekp
    I use pork mince in pasta/spaghetti bolognaise, lasagne, cannelloni - and I far prefer it to beef mince.
    Debt at Highest: £11,630.10 (May 2006) Debt now: £0.00 !!!!
    Married to the man of my dreams - Sat 2nd June 2007
  • tr3mor
    Anything you can do with Beef Mince really, in my opinion it makes a much nicer bolognese than beef does.

It's also cheap and healthy.
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 18th May 06, 10:47 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 3,781 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    We find that pork mince makes lovely moist burgers. Add a little sage, onion (Wizzed in a blender to small pieces!) and if you like it hot, chillies. No need for egg yolk as the mixture is quite wet.
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • black-saturn
    Mix it in with a packet of made up stuffing and 1 egg and then layer it in a loaf tin with streaky bacon. Then bake it in the oven on about gas mark 5 for about 30 minutes. Makes a lovely meatloaf.
  • point3
    dim sum
    ...make Siu Mai dumplings?

Mix the pork mince with finely chopped raw prawns, a dash of sesame oil, salt and pepper. Wrap in won-ton pastry and steam for 10 minutes. Yummy...

• Lucie
    Just a quick question - if it's in the freezer, why do you have to use it today? Have you got it out & started defrosting it or is it the only thing in there? (and therefore the only thing available for dinner if you want a no spend day)

In answer to your original question, use it for anything you would use beef/turkey mince for.
    • second chance
    • By second chance 18th May 06, 12:50 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    second chance
    yes i pulled it out this morning trying to eat only whats in!!!thankyou for your suggestions they all sound lovely xx
    barclaycard £9400
    halifax £5650
    od £500 od £600 santander £2025
    vertbaudet £423 next £780 studio £1250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

4,696Users online

Martin's Twitter