PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipes for pork mince

help everyone. Have been given 4 packs of pork mince and I haven't a clue what to do with it! Don't tend to cook that much with pork at all so really lost.

Was thinking vaguely along lines of pork & apple burgers or some kind of meat loafy thing.

P.S I don't have a slow cooker yet

Comments

• aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    I only ever buy turkey or pork mince. Anything you would normally make with beef mince will be fine

Chilli
    spag bol
    cottage pie
    burgers
    lasagne
    mince & onion pie
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I used to make small pork meatballs with finely chopped onion and apricots, and bind them with a bit of beaten egg, then fry them and serve with a soy, garlic and honey sauce over rice. I haven't a clue about quantities because I just used to make it up as I went along.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Saute very finely chopped onion and crushed garlic; allow to cool. Place pork mince in bowl and add onions and garlic. Add cornflour, seasoning and mix well. Take stalks out of mushrooms and use pork mixture to stuff them. Heat oil in frying pan, fry mushrooms meat side down over med heat for 5 mins, then turn over for 2 mins.

Make gravy separately and serve over mushrooms.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • How about pork and apple burgers?
    Put the mince in a bowl with a finely chopped onion, a grated apple (peeled first) a beaten egg, salt & pepper, fresh or dried sage to taste. Squidge it all together to mix and then take out a medium sized handful. I usually push a chunk of chees in the middle and then shape it into a fat burger. Fry on a medium heat (they take a while to cook 'cos mine are usually quite big). They are GORGEOUS!!!! If nobody knows the cheese is there it's a lovely surprise when you get to the middle.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My favourite recipe with pork mince is this.

Fry pork mince, add a bunch of chopped spring onions, a knob of freshly grated ginger, a clove of crushed garlic, a deseeded and chopped chilli, then add a wraper of rice nooodles (pre soaked) to the wok, and soy sauce, yummmmmmmmmmm

Nice served with a wedge of lime and thai chilli sauce and possibly some crushed peanuts.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Hi all,

still doing well with the meal planning and general money saving. I got some very cheap mince from Somerfield unexpectadly the other day (21p!) and wondered if the following idea sounds ok;

I want to try to make a kind of stew with the following ingredients
    400gm Pork Mince
    Apple chopped
    Stock (Plus apple juice)
    Carrots
    Onions
    Potatoes

What herbs/spices could I add to help with the flavouring? I've got paprika which I used in a pork stew a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure what else goes with pork.

Any ideas?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sounds good ;) I did roast pork yesterday and used rosemary and garlic with it-very nice.

You could make a pork shepherd's pie with those ingredients.
  • JB2006
    JB2006 Posts: 156 Forumite
    With pork mince I usually make either a chilli or a spagbol. Yummy!!
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could do a Mexican casserole with the pork & onions. I add chilli flakes & chopped peppers, & kidney beans if I need to pad it out a bit, and fry off, then layer like a lasagne but use tortilla chips & pureed sweetcorn instead of pasta & white sauce, top with loads of cheese. It's really yummy:D (and it works with any kind of mine, not just pork)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • second_chance
    second_chance Posts: 273 Forumite
    Hi Im New On This Site And Just Getting To Grips With This Moneysaving Thing I Found Some Pork Mince In The Freezer Which I Need To Use Today What On Earth Can I Do??? I Dont Even Know Why I Brought It!!!! Any Advice Greatly Appreciated As I Dont Want To Throw It And Am Aiming For A No Spend Day ;)
    Stepchange dmp £6350
    Debt free date jul 2021

Emergency fund needs refuelling!

Aiming for a debt free stress free life with some money in the bank!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure