Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > TMTI Cancellation? can it be done (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
TMTI Cancellation? can it be done
Views: 115,811
# 1
zetec-ss
Old 05-05-2009, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default TMTI Cancellation? can it be done

hi guys, i've been with e2save for about 2.5 months now. anyway the first thing i did when i got the phone was end the geeksquad insurance direct debit, there's me thinking i've done everything now...i can just enjoy the contract and the mins. then my debit card statement comes through the post and what do you know, "DD- TMTI" is right at the top with the numbers 17.94 next to it. i've read up a bit on it and i didnt even know this was included in the contract, and i'm sure i read the e2save contract when i received it through the post. the problem is i might of mislayed the original e2save contract so if i need to get some details from there i really am in a mess. how do i go about cancelling the TMTI contact? i think i've been charged twice so far and its about 20 days from the next DD payement. i've tried to call TMTI just now but they close their helpline at 1730. i just need you guys to answer some questions for me please...

can i cancel the contract?
will i get a refund on the payments i have already made? (total 35.92)
what information do i need to have before i ring them?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to zetec-ss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
hotkee
Old 05-05-2009, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got a new contract last week through dialaphone - expected insurance cover to be put on without me asking. But on the order email it had this new rubbish Gadget Help line.

I called dialaphone chap says I should get a letter from these nuggets tmti soon with instructions to cancel - a week on still waiting.

I too have cancelled my insurance.

Dont know about your deal but on mine, the tmti nonsense is for 30 days (in which I can cancel) otherwise I get ripped off for the same amount as you have been. I will cancel this somehow.

Unfortunately I do think you are past your limit - I would expect them to give you 30 days free and after that you are tied in.

I complained to Consumer Direct and got an email telling me to first write to dialaphone - which left thinking for what - Dialaphone have already told me I can cancel this stuff but they wont stop putting these unwanted things on the contract order.

Ofcom web site equally useless - no way to complain - mis-selling CLASS A.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hotkee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
hotkee
Old 05-05-2009, 6:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

PS This is what I just found on dialaphone site

The Gadget Helpline support service may be cancelled at any time prior to the first payment being collected at no charge.
Cancellations and/or refund requests can be made either by:
  • Logging on to the website www.gadgethelpline.com and go to the cancellation page at the bottom of the screen.
  • Email to gadgethelpline@tmti.net
  • Writing to: Gadget Helpline Limited, Corsley Heath, Nr Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12 7PL.
Please ensure you quote the subscriber name, address and any reference number in your communication. Any cancellations made following the collection of the first Direct Debit will carry a minimum administration fee of 5.00.
# 4
zetec-ss
Old 05-05-2009, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i better not be tied in, my phone contract is 18months, will i be tied in for 12 or 18months!

there has got to be a way of getting out of this? i don't remember receiving a letter from TMTI, how can i be tied in!

can anyone confirm this?

---------sorry just read your post---------------

does that mean i can end the direct debit from TMTI with a charge of 5~? even though i've made two payments?

Last edited by zetec-ss; 05-05-2009 at 7:05 PM.
# 5
hotkee
Old 05-05-2009, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Online cancellation http://www.gadgethelpline.com/ via the link at top.

Dont know about whether they will let you.
# 6
zetec-ss
Old 05-05-2009, 7:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
"Any cancellations made following the collection of the first Direct Debit will carry a minimum administration fee of 5.00."
surely this means i can termintate the contract. i'll give them a call tomorrow morning as soon as they open. i've got a feeling that online process will take a long time and i don't know what reference number they are referring to. if they are referring to their own reference number i don't think i've received a letter from them before!

Last edited by zetec-ss; 05-05-2009 at 7:18 PM.
# 7
hotkee
Old 05-05-2009, 7:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You might be lucky.

Well I am waiting for the letter from TMTI, dont know how e2save work but dialaphone told me I would get a letter.

Sent an email to this gadget lot to ask for cancellation even though I have no reference number. Gave them my details.

Sent a complaint to dialaphone too by email (tried to use online form on dialaphone site - get an error - typical)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotkee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
zetec-ss
Old 05-05-2009, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkee View Post
You might be lucky.

Well I am waiting for the letter from TMTI, dont know how e2save work but dialaphone told me I would get a letter.

Sent an email to this gadget lot to ask for cancellation even though I have no reference number. Gave them my details.

Sent a complaint to dialaphone too by email (tried to use online form on dialaphone site - get an error - typical)
yeah if i were you i'd try and cancel asap, you won't get a letter through the post, i guarentee. i'm going to have a search around for that letter but if i remember correctly, i've never received anything from TMTI!.

thanks for you advice. drop me a PM or post in this thread if you get a response from TMTI with your cancellation without reference number because i think i will be cancelling or trying to cancell without a reference number.
# 9
zetec-ss
Old 06-05-2009, 5:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

just to let you guys know, i've contacted TMTI and they offered me a part refund at first. i asked to speak with the manager as i wanted a full refund. she put me on hold for 2secs and then said "manager as away from office at the moement, i can offer you a full refund". the service at TMTI is brilliant, they picked my call up in 2seconds and they are very fast and efficent. i'll wait for my statement to come through but i'm sure i'll get a full refund. make sure you guys take a reference number of the call and the persons name you were speaking too.

cheers guys.
# 10
Imzadi_chester
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi there, I've also had a mobile phone I bought off a website with the Gadget Helpline attached to it - whether I wanted it or not! I cancelled it online the day before the free month was up and received a letter confirming the cancellation two days later - no problems. (This was April)

I've just checked my bank statement though and I have been direct debited 17.94 by TMTI Ltd (which freaked me out to begin with as I've never heard of them - but Googling it showed up that it's Gadget Helpline by another name) , so I rang them about two minutes ago and got through straight away. There was a very helpful lady at the end of the phone who offered me a full refund straight away, which should appear in my bank in the next two days.

Apparently it happens quite a lot as they have to ask the bank for your money at least two days before it's due to be paid - so although you might cancel it before the month is up, it's too late for the money to not go out.

The website I cancelled it through in the first place (and got a confirmation of cancellation letter from) was gadgethelpline.com
and the number I rang a couple of mins ago was 0870 429 6091.

Hope that's of help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imzadi_chester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
hotkee
Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I still have no email replies from the gadget line or dialaphone.

Dialaphone useless - I tried ringing them and same nightmare I experienced as in 2007 once, endless talking to some machine voice asking me questions - 8 options in final menu and I keep selecting Other (number 8) and it keeps telling me the same blasted options.

I rang the gadget line number and the lady told me they dont have me registered, she said I might get a registeration letter in a few days - so have to wait.

Dialaphone if you are listening you are useless - never again with this hassle.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotkee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
hotkee
Old 08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well result for me - I got a call from a nice lady at dialaphone who has informed me that the gadget helpline has been cancelled for my account. A+ for service I think (there was me moaning).
The Following User Says Thank You to hotkee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
johnwnormington
Old 02-12-2009, 4:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Tmti

Just had this item appear on my bank statement as a direct debit for the first time. I am 12 months into an 18 month contract. I cancelled the insurance element 12 months ago, why has it suddenly appeared? Any suggestions? MAny thanks in anticipation.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnwnormington For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
OneADay
Old 02-12-2009, 5:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwnormington View Post
Just had this item appear on my bank statement as a direct debit for the first time. I am 12 months into an 18 month contract. I cancelled the insurance element 12 months ago, why has it suddenly appeared? Any suggestions? MAny thanks in anticipation.
You should have a reference number from TMTI Gadget Helpline. This is sent to you when you take out a contract.

You can then use that to cancel your gadget helpline here https://secure.tmti.net/vip/

Enter the reference number, the bank account number on account and your email address.

If done in first 30 days of contract, you do not incur a charge. After that it is 30 days notice.
The Following User Says Thank You to OneADay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
weezypoos
Old 14-12-2009, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I logged on to my t'internet banking last night to find out that TMTI Ltd had debited 17.65 from my account also. I certainly never received a welcome letter or anything confirming a direct debit would be deducted. I've just contacted them now and they have cancelled the agreement and agreed to refund in full. They said it can take up to 10 working days for the money to go back into my account. I expected a fight but it was so easy.

Now, to sort out the insurance that they will start deducting sometime soon!!
The Following User Says Thank You to weezypoos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
sensibilis
Old 17-12-2009, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wink Gadget Helpline Cancellation

I got my web deal from E2save, and got a gadget helpline letter within 3 days-The service covers Laptop/PC support/gaming/cameras/tv etc etc and all other gadgets in your home..Compared to Virgins new Digital Help service at 6.99 a month ( GH is 2.99 a month, taken in 6 months chunks) its cheap..However I wished to cancel so called 08444772995 and was put through to a helpful lady who cancelled it straightaway..The process was easy apart from having to listen to a message saying I should not cancel and if I dont want to talk to someone I can cancel at gadgethelpline online.
I tried the service for my Xbox and it was excellent by the way, so Im not trying to diss the guys there...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sensibilis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Carrera74
Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've had my phone with Carphone Warehouse for about 6 months. I have had to had it replaced recently as it was faulty. Just checked my bank account and TMTI have taken 17.74 out of my account. I have not received a letter or anything to warn me they were going to do this and I cancelled all insurances etc when I upgraded my phone 6 months ago. Are they allowed to just take money out of your account? I'm not happy and going to ring them as soon as I can. Grrr
The Following User Says Thank You to Carrera74 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sc52
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank Goodness for threads like this.

Just doing my accounts and came across 2 entries for TMTI Ltd for 17 ish each.

Quick Google got me to this thread. Followed the advise above and phoned 08000491012 and asked to be put through to Gadgethelpline. First time line went dead, second time the guy ensured that I was transfered to someone before handing over.

Told the chap at Gadgethelpline that I had never received any correspondence from them or TMTI Ltd concerning direct debits. He said that he would refund the money - but on being pushed a bit conceded that he would only refund one payment.

So I pushed a bit harder and was transferred to a very helpful lady who agreed to refund the full amount.

I made a note of her name and also asked for a reference number. I will post again once the refund has come through - I was advised, in about 2 weeks time.

Cheers
# 19
edeizzil
Old 22-01-2010, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have also just found a charge of 17.58 in my account but it was back in October (27th) but I am pretty sure I cancelled before the first month was up, though I couldn't provide and proof for it. Do you think I can still get a refund for it if it was so long ago and I have no proof?
# 20
Jandy100
Old 08-02-2010, 6:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I bought my phone through Mobiles.co.uk and straight away cancelled, phone insurance, orange care & Geeksquad (never really knew what that was anyway!)

I had emails confirming cancellation of insurance, but a letter from Geeksquad to confirm cancellation of the policy. Today it seems TMTI have taken 17.94 from our account. Googling led me here, so I called my bank & it just so happened that the man on the other end of the phone had been through exactly the same thing himself, and that Geeksquad are also TMTI. Quite how they get away with calling themselves so many different things I don't know - it just confuses people & then they get away with taking money from accounts.

As we were quick at spotting the DD, it was recalled, and the money refunded.

I shall take my cancellation letter into work tomorrow, scan it & email it to both the Carphone Warehouse & Geeksquad/TMTI (I''ll do both to be on the safe side!) and tell them NOT to take any further money from me, the DD is cancelled and they won't (shouldn't) be allowed to set it up again themselves.