We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Poundland gardening bargains

Options
sb44
sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
I bought a few things in Poundland this morning, not sure if they are all new stock or not as I don't get to go in there often.

A glass wasp catcher, it's in the shape of a beehive with a black metal hanger. It does say bee catcher on the label but I would like to think it's more for insects which aren't as cute!

A double pack of decent quality small gardening gloves (when I say small I mean ladies size, not kids).

2 black round rubber mats, like the ones you put outside the door to wipe your feet on that look like black wrought iron, they were £1 each. I hate getting my feet muddy if I am going into the greenhouse so these will be great to use as stepping stones if you know what I mean. :rolleyes: I have to walk from the patio to the greenhouse door which is positioned onto the lawn, it won't fit the other way.

A 6 pack of seeds, the Nice & Spicy pack which contains:

Basil (Dark Opal) 100 Seeds

Oriental Spicy Leaf Mix - Mizuna, Cima Rapa, Green Pak Choi and Red Mustard 125 Seeds

Coriander (Coriandum) 80 Seeds

Sweet Pepper (Canape) 10 Seeds

Chilli Pepper (Cayenne) 6 Seeds

Mustard Greens (Mixed) 125 Seeds

Hope this of help to anyone who maybe passing by a Poundland soon.

;)

Comments

• strawberry_laces
    Options
    These are the pop-up garden waste bins i am using for early potatoes, 3 in each. They are approx 33cm wide and 40-45cm deep and just needed some holes in the bottom.
    290320091017.jpg
    Capital one was £1000.00 now £0.00:j
    Barclaycard was £250.00 now £190. 00
    Asda credit card was £500.00 now £0.00:j
    Aim to be credit card free by December 2012... Mostly done
  • Buzzbox
    Buzzbox Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I bought a few things in Poundland this morning, not sure if they are all new stock or not as I don't get to go in there often.

A glass wasp catcher, it's in the shape of a beehive with a black metal hanger. It does say bee catcher on the label but I would like to think it's more for insects which aren't as cute!

A double pack of decent quality small gardening gloves (when I say small I mean ladies size, not kids).

2 black round rubber mats, like the ones you put outside the door to wipe your feet on that look like black wrought iron, they were £1 each. I hate getting my feet muddy if I am going into the greenhouse so these will be great to use as stepping stones if you know what I mean. :rolleyes: I have to walk from the patio to the greenhouse door which is positioned onto the lawn, it won't fit the other way.

A 6 pack of seeds, the Nice & Spicy pack which contains:

Basil (Dark Opal) 100 Seeds

Oriental Spicy Leaf Mix - Mizuna, Cima Rapa, Green Pak Choi and Red Mustard 125 Seeds

Coriander (Coriandum) 80 Seeds

Sweet Pepper (Canape) 10 Seeds

Chilli Pepper (Cayenne) 6 Seeds

Mustard Greens (Mixed) 125 Seeds

Hope this of help to anyone who maybe passing by a Poundland soon.

;)

I got that exact same seed mix pack, growing nicely except for the sweet pepper! I also got two fruit bushes from poundland, one is taking nicely.

Their compost works like a bomb, much cheaper than any garden centre!
    Smile more often, it's FREE :hello: Live on £4000 for a year stalker! :p
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    HappyIdiotTalk Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    These are the pop-up garden waste bins i am using for early potatoes, 3 in each. They are approx 33cm wide and 40-45cm deep and just needed some holes in the bottom.
    290320091017.jpg

Hello, are those bins from Poundland? If so, how much are they? Could do with some for my spuds too!

And how much are the seeds please?
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    I was waiting for someone to ask that...

The seeds come in a pack of six, I got some flowers like Californian Poppies and Blaze Of Fire and mine are coming up nicely and are £1 for the pack.

The bins are £1 each.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought some of the popup bags from Poundland as I cant see that they are any different than the more expensive popups I bought last year for potatoes, maybe a bit smaller. Ive put sprouts in one, strawberries in another and beets in the third and bought my daughter some who has put potatoes in hers. Had a catalogue from lakeland today and they sell them for about £7 lol.

xxp00
  • MrsChips
    MrsChips Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    I've bought 10 of the Pop up Bags for my Spuds too - I paid much more for the Hanciks Potato Planters last year and the Poundland ones are just the same size, maybe a bit thinner and of course you have to make your own holes!! But a BARGAIN @ £1

Not sure if they still have them in stock but I also bought Garden Netting, Plastic Poly Tunnels and Garden Fleece (£1 each) which I thought was a great buy.
    2009 Savings & Winnings so far....
    Pigsback £15.06 +[strike]£40[/strike] M&S Vouchers + £20 New Look + TNS £15 Capital Bonds + Qype Ninja Goodies + £50 Virgin Voucher
    Sealed Pot Challenge #589 - Target £150
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Right I'm off to Merry Hill tomorrow to get some. How many spuds you planting in each popup bag?
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    MrsChips wrote: »
    and of course you have to make your own holes!!

Scandalous! :rotfl:
  • oliveoyl
    oliveoyl Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »

If it's in the shape of a bee hive, and says bee catcher on the label, I'd say it would catch bees... have to say, I think that's pretty crappy of Poundland to be selling such items given the current bee population crisis.
    TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    oliveoyl wrote: »
    have to say, I think that's pretty crappy of Poundland to be selling such items given the current bee population crisis.

Same. It'll cost us all if we loose many more of these pollinators.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure