Nationwide card reader: they've gone too far

Aarrgh!!
I've just tried to transfer some money from my Nationwide flex account into my e-savings account. It is now asking for the card reader for this internal transfer as well!! It is getting to the state where the hassle outweighs the convenience for Nationwide's internet service.

Has anyone else had the same problems? Can anyone name a suitable bank I could move to that doesn't use these bloody things, and has similar benefits to Nationwide, i.e, free cashwithdrawls abroad?

Comments

• Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Natwest and RBS have them

Halifax don't
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• MPH80
    MPH80 Posts: 973 Forumite
    But none of those offer the free cash withdrawls abroad.

In fact - Nationwide will soon only offer it in Europe.
  • d61mts
    d61mts Posts: 56 Forumite
    Natwest use them, but not to the extent of Nationwide (though this could obviously change). You use it to set up a new payee, but for the actual payment (and internal transfers) you don't use it. As I don't set up new payees too often I don't find this too much of a hassle, so haven't touched it in a while. I too find Nationwide online a bit annoying for having to use it for simple payments (but realise its obviously valued for security so put up with it).
  • mroller
    mroller Posts: 397
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have just tried and they didn't ask for the card reader.

Have you tried the quick transfer feature (bottom left)?
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059
    Forumite
    Nationwide have never sent me a card reader

Thank goodness (Interesting Article (click here) re violence and Card Readers).
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OT, I know, but does anyone know if First Direct use these?

Just about to open a new account and won't have any part of this cardreader nonsense.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,352
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    OT, I know, but does anyone know if First Direct use these?
    No, they don't, thank god - and I believe they have no plans to use them either.

Card readers don't really add security and the level of 'inconvenience' they cause is roughly proportionate to their use. I'm guessing Nationwide's 'techies' have been banged up in Swindon too long and need to get out more often. In the 'real world', you only get asked for a card reader when making a first-time payment to a payee - not every single bleedin' time thereafter!

Someone in the 'security industry' has sold a crock to certain banks and the others have had the sense to (largely) ignore their salemen's claims.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 458
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bankersmug wrote: »
    Aarrgh!!
    I've just tried to transfer some money from my Nationwide flex account into my e-savings account. It is now asking for the card reader for this internal transfer as well!! It is getting to the state where the hassle outweighs the convenience for Nationwide's internet service.

Has anyone else had the same problems? Can anyone name a suitable bank I could move to that doesn't use these bloody things, and has similar benefits to Nationwide, i.e, free cashwithdrawls abroad?
    I have just transfered money between these two accounts,I wasnt asked to use the card reader,maybe a wee blip in their system:confused:
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 747
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Last week I was asked to use card reader to make a transfer between my accounts (I used quick transfer boxes). I gave up as it was 3 a.m.
    In the morning tried it again and wasn't asked to use it at all. :confused:
  • smartpicture
    smartpicture Posts: 888
    Forumite
    I haven't been asked to use it when transferring between Flex & eSavings either. However, I do find it infuriating to have to use it every time I want to pay people who are already on my approved payees list. I have a Tesco account which uses a card reader, but it is only needed when you first add a new payee, which seems much more sensible.

I wrote to them complaining that it negated much of the convenience factor fo online banking, as I might want to do a payment at work or when I'm out for the day or on holiday, but the reader is at home so I can't, but got no answer.

I have since found out that the readers from all banks are interchangeable, so now I keep the NW one at home and the Tesco one at work, and can use either one for either bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure