Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance) (Page 19)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)
Views: 55,089
# 361
C_Mababejive
Old 25-12-2011, 6:08 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Nothing prepared the day before...total cooking time isnt much different to a good Sunday dinner so its all done fresh Chez Mabebejive..
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C_Mababejive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 362
Triker
Old 25-12-2011, 1:13 PM

Ham in coke, done took 1 hour in pressure cooker. Yesterday day.

Last night....Turkey crown done, 25 mins in PC, cooled, sliced, doused in stock gravy ready to be reheated.

Brussels, done PC 3 mins, cooled, ready to be thrown in pan with bacon later.

Swede and carrots, done, PC 4 mins, mashed, cooled, ready to be reheated.

Stuffing, mixed and prepared ready to be cooked later.

Jars of various sauces assembled.

Homemade bread sauce made last night, took 10 mins.

Stock made from turkey bones and veg, PC, took 30 mins, cooled overnight, to make extra gravy with.

To be done, assemble pigs in blankets, PC spuds for roasts, open pack of Aunt Bessies Yorkshires and assemble on baking tray.

Friends are bringing dessert over, but I have an emergency back up dessert involving meringues, marscapone, cream and raspberries so no bother there.

Reheat, relax, enjoy, imbibe, collapse.

Send loving glances over towards my Pressure Cooker.

Merry Christmas all.
DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
It matters not if you try and fail,
And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Triker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 363
greent
Old 25-12-2011, 2:00 PM

Nothing (well, except I have left over braised red cabbage in freezer, so we're using that up today)

Today I have peeled the veg (potatoes for roasting, carrots for honey glazing, parsnips for roasting and sprouts for pan frying with bacon), made cauliflower cheese, wrapped the pigs in blankets, made sausage meat stuffing, made Delia's bread sauce, draped bacon over the turkey and made a fruit flan for pud. It's just a bigger Sunday dinner, after all
Looking to repay mtge by 12/15 (originally 11/25) Balance 01/09 124616 01/10 104927 01/11 89873 01/12 76317 01/13 52546 01/14 35356 10/14 15267
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 364
Rebob
Old 25-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I made the yorshire pud batter, prep'd the veg, sauted the onions and mushrooms for the gravy and set the table. I was going to make wrap the pigs in their blankets but forgot so did them today during a quiet spell. I like to pre the veg so I can sit with the family more and not be working myself into a state like my mum used to.
The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 365
zippychick
Old 27-12-2011, 1:40 PM

ive merged this with our christmas dinner - preparing in advance thread so you can see what others do

Zip
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

# 366
zippychick
Old 28-12-2011, 4:13 PM

ive merged this with our christmas dinner thread

This post has heaps of links to help. Hope your dinner turned out ok

Zip
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

# 367
SpottySocks
Old 04-12-2012, 6:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I hope no one minds me bumping this! I was looking for ideas that would stop me living in the kitchen all day on Christmas Day! Some fab ideas here, I finish work next week, I think I will make a start on my Xmas veg and start stocking the freezer this thread has been a God-send!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 368
daisiegg
Old 05-12-2012, 1:53 PM

Great thread, just read it through start to finish
The Following User Says Thank You to daisiegg For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 369
ellies angel
Old 05-12-2012, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Christmas eve I cook my turkey, prep my veggies etc.
I have a few cheats such as I buy prepared roast potatoes which just need to be cooked in goose fat, ready made rum sauce etc.
Last year as my turkey was cooling on Christmas eve and I was at the Indian being rewarded for working hard my lovely big ridgeback decided she was taste the turkey to make sure it was ok. We came home to find it on the floor. Picture the scene driving all around Aberdeenshire Christmas eve at 7pm trying to find another one. Unfortunately my beautiful big girl passed away in February. The turkey should be safe. My beautiful little girl is too small to reach it
l love this site!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ellies angel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 370
bossymoo
Old 05-12-2012, 4:48 PM

I'll put the ham in the slow cooker on Xmas eve night. It doesn't exactly need any of my attention . I might make up the stuffing in advance though, just mixed but not cooked. Mum is doing the veg, and MIL the turkey. Puddings are bought. Well, I've bought meringue nests and pastry cases but will make the fillings on the day, it's only a bit of cream to be whipped and some fruit or preserve to dole out.
Bossymoo
Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - #91 - 550 so far
The Following User Says Thank You to bossymoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 371
Justamum
Old 05-12-2012, 5:14 PM

I've decided I'm going to make the veggie wellington from the Great British Bake Off. I've got the book from the library, and it looks quite easy. I can get it mainly done the day before. I've already made my puddings (the house smelled gorgeous when they were cooking )
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I don't use Twitter myself. I simply walk around with a mega-phone announcing at random intervals what I am doing.. I have three followers already. Though I suspect two of them may be policemen..
The Following User Says Thank You to Justamum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 372
Butterfly Brain
Old 05-12-2012, 5:53 PM

Roast potatoes prepped and in the freezer I have also prepped a bag of honeyed parsnips, sprouts, carrots, pigs in blankets, stuffing balls, and made 24 mince pies, cheese straws, cheese rolls (like sausage rolls) sausage rolls, 24 mince pies, cake, Christmas pudding, Lemon cake, Chocolate rum and raisin Torte and a Chocolate chestnut cake
Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - foraging fixers

# 373
bossymoo
Old 05-12-2012, 6:02 PM

Chocolate chestnut cake? Sounds lovely!

We are having profiteroles (my late dh's favourite), stepdad wants Xmas pud, Mum wants lemon meringue, I want banoffee pie, MIL wants pavlova, kids want ice creams and FIL wants a bit of everything. We also have Xmas cake and mince pies lol. So everything is in mini version this year. That way we can all join FIL in a bit of everything without making ourselves sick
Bossymoo
Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - #91 - 550 so far
The Following User Says Thank You to bossymoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 374
Emm-in-a-pickle
Old 05-12-2012, 6:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just a little reminder for those planning to have SWEDE - cook it in the microwave (like a jacket spud) then scoop out the inside when it`s soft enough. NO PEELING OR CHOPPING!!! Tastes better than boiled/steamed, too. You can freeze it or chill it & reheat. Most useful tip I`ve seen in years, I found it on these forums a while back.

(Sorry if someone`s already said this, I`ve not read all the pages.)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emm-in-a-pickle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 375
binkyboo
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

going to do some precooking and freezing this year to try and make things a little easier on the day.

does anyone know if i make sage and onion stuffing up from a packet should i make balls and freeze it raw or cook it first then freeze?
# 376
Justamum
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyboo View Post
going to do some precooking and freezing this year to try and make things a little easier on the day.

does anyone know if i make sage and onion stuffing up from a packet should i make balls and freeze it raw or cook it first then freeze?
I wouldn't bother - it takes seconds to make so why not just make it on the day?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I don't use Twitter myself. I simply walk around with a mega-phone announcing at random intervals what I am doing.. I have three followers already. Though I suspect two of them may be policemen..
# 377
binkyboo
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justamum View Post
I wouldn't bother - it takes seconds to make so why not just make it on the day?
just wanted to save on the time, mess and extra washing up! would rather pull the roasties and stuffing balls out of the freezer and straight into the oven. Read on here that people have frozen their stuffing before just not sure if they cooked it first?
The Following User Says Thank You to binkyboo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 378
Lilyplonk
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you want to save time on Christmas Day, I'd just do it the night before, let it stand, and then shape into balls and put into the fridge overnight. that way, you can soak and wash-up the bowl before going to bed. When making it up don't use too much water if you're going to shape it into balls.

If your kitchen is very cold overnight, you could just leave it out on the worktop - but I wouldn't advise doing that if you have any 'four-legged family members' .
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilyplonk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 379
Justamum
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyboo View Post
just wanted to save on the time, mess and extra washing up! would rather pull the roasties and stuffing balls out of the freezer and straight into the oven. Read on here that people have frozen their stuffing before just not sure if they cooked it first?
I must say I haven't tried it. I know some people bake their stuffing, but my mum never did - just poured boiling water on it and then it was served up so that's the way I do it. As for roast potatoes, I've always got spare parboiled spuds in the freezer, and they are really handy.

# 380
binkyboo
Old 12-12-2012, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justamum View Post
I must say I haven't tried it. I know some people bake their stuffing, but my mum never did - just poured boiling water on it and then it was served up so that's the way I do it. As for roast potatoes, I've always got spare parboiled spuds in the freezer, and they are really handy.
I have just part cooked my roast potatoes going to open freeze them then bag them up to reheat from frozen and finish off the cooking in the oven on christmas day, starting to worry i've done that wrong now too! Should i have just par boiled them and then frozen them?
The Following User Says Thank You to binkyboo For This Useful Post: Show me >>