Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > can you claim disability allowence and still work... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
can you claim disability allowence and still work full time
Closed Thread
Views: 26,176
# 1
redsquirrel2
Old 17-11-2008, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default can you claim disability allowence and still work full time

There is a guy who has a false leg and really loves telling everyone about all the stuff he gets for free becuase of this leg. the whole workforce is sick to death of this leg

He boasts about claiming disabilty allowence yet he happily works 50 hour weeks getting over time and has no problem climbing scafolding and ladders and tiptoeing around the edges of roofs and other dangerous situation that i wouldnt do.

he boasts about getting free car tax on both his cars becuase he has one registered in his wifes name even though she cant drive and she is disabled as well apparently yet he insures them both.

the constant gloating about everything he doesnt have to pay for is such an annoyance is there any way to put an end to this.

i have no problem with people claiming it if they are unable to do a full days work and are actually hindered by their disability but i think he is just taking the p%$$.
# 2
somebody_else
Old 17-11-2008, 5:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes, you can claim DLA if you work full time, but it would very much depend on the job. I was in full time work when I was first awarded DLA, so it's possible.

Not sure I'd have the brass neck to apply if I was capable of climbing ladders and scaffolding, but having said that - if you take his artificial leg away would he still be able to do it?

What exactly would you do about it though? Every one I know swears blind they know at least one person who's claiming benefits that they don't really qualify for - but they don't do anything about it. Just sit and seethe.
s/e
# 3
foxxymynx
Old 17-11-2008, 6:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yes you can still claim DLA. I assume that he's getting the higher rate on the pretenses of "well, if I don't have my prostethis on..........." (you need to get higer rate for the mobility car)
# 4
nanokitten
Old 17-11-2008, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well, he is probably perfectly entitled to tax two cars, one for his own personal use the other for is wife's use (even if she is not the driver).

It is very hard to know how much of what people say is really true, but if he spends his time bragging about committing fraud and annoying people, the chances are he'll get his comeupence.

you could also quip back to him, you never know your luck, if you get arrested for benefit fraud and tax evasion you could get free bed and board too!

Having said that it is entirely possible to qualify for the higher rate of both DLA componants and still do a meaningful days work. Stephen Hawking being an obvious example - he would qualify for both, not being able to walk, prepare a main meal, perform personal care tasks, but still manages to hold down a job, write academic papers, feature in advertising campaigns, push the boundaries of theoretical physics...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nanokitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
foxxymynx
Old 17-11-2008, 8:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's not fruad if he's entitled to it.
If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
# 6
nanokitten
Old 17-11-2008, 10:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

That's true, I think we have to be careful of making assumptions as some people with fluctuating or unseen conditions can look perfectly fine also people can be consatantly.

Foxxyminx As far I understand (Thantos may put me right) the walking test is measured whilst wearing any prosthesis if you can make proper 'steps'.
# 7
cidergirl
Old 17-11-2008, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

as we all well know there are loads of people out there claiming these benefits saying they can t do this that and the other it makes me so mad its why this country is in the state its in im all for people who are genuine but there are loads of fakes out there and they get away with it if someone can do all that they shouldnt get a penny let alone the full amount . next time you see his car look at the car tax if it says disabled on it he is getting higer rate mobility
# 8
Lakelady
Old 17-11-2008, 11:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This man obviously doesn`t have a leg to stand on......................

Cheap cracks aside, I`m sure there are lots of problems with a prothetic leg.
# 9
Mrs_Ryan
Old 18-11-2008, 2:17 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My OH works full time and gets DLA - DLA know exactly how many hours he works and how much he earns and he gets lower rate DLA for a mental health problem... so yes, its possible.
Proud sponsor 2012/13,2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons and proud first time season ticket holder #IAmGreenAndWhite
May 2013 - start weight 19st 7lb,size 22 top/24-26 bottom.August 2014 14st 4lbs size 14 top, size 16 bottom. *Started Slimming World 16/9/13, target 14 st 7lbs REACHED 28/07/14 *
RIP Elle, I miss you so much x
# 10
Peapod2
Old 18-11-2008, 5:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidergirl View Post
as we all well know there are loads of people out there claiming these benefits saying they can t do this that and the other it makes me so mad its why this country is in the state its in im all for people who are genuine but there are loads of fakes out there and they get away with it if someone can do all that they shouldnt get a penny let alone the full amount . next time you see his car look at the car tax if it says disabled on it he is getting higer rate mobility
Thank You. I implied the same thing on another post and I was told off. There are lots of people in the town I live in using walking aids that don't need them. I know personally that some days are better than others but when you see said people lift up their crutches and run across the road to talk to a friend :confused:

A friend of mine was telling me about someone she knew well who had popped in to see her just to say that she had managed to get DLA (mobility component) but she couldn't stop as she was 'going out 'clubbing' to celebrate her windfall.'
# 11
septemberblues
Old 18-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peapod2 View Post
Thank You. I implied the same thing on another post and I was told off. There are lots of people in the town I live in using walking aids that don't need them. I know personally that some days are better than others but when you see said people lift up their crutches and run across the road to talk to a friend :confused:

A friend of mine was telling me about someone she knew well who had popped in to see her just to say that she had managed to get DLA (mobility component) but she couldn't stop as she was 'going out 'clubbing' to celebrate her windfall.'
So......................if you get DLA you can't go out "clubbing"?
KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets
The Following User Says Thank You to septemberblues For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Peapod2
Old 18-11-2008, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberblues View Post
So......................if you get DLA you can't go out "clubbing"?
Oh yes you can go out clubbing but she actually told the DLA people that she could hardly walk.
# 13
altocumulus
Old 18-11-2008, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

interestingly the DLA application form requires no information relating to employment....
# 14
pascha
Old 18-11-2008, 7:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I work full time - and recieve DLA - HRM and LRC.
I am only able to work because these benefits allow me to effectively 'buy support' which enable me to remain in employment. As I work I do not qualify for 'free' care from the local authority - or many of the grants etc that many who are not able to remain in work qualify for.
I work because although my body doesn't work too well, most of the time my brain is OK, and I would fester if I didn't work. My DLA allows me to have an adapted car to get to work, and also contributes (a very small amount!) to pay for help within the home and with aspects of my personal care. This helps then means I can get through a working day without collapsing from exhaustion. Without DLA I couldn't afford this, and my family who already provide hours and hours of unpaid care would shoulder an additional burden, and also the tax payer - as I would have to be financially supported by benefits.
Please don't judge people who claim these benefits - and work. these benefits are there for a reason.
There used to be 2 benefits - disability living allowance - and disablity working allowance. they are now one and the same.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pascha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
pascha
Old 18-11-2008, 7:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Oh - and yes - I also like to go out - and yes clubbing - I just wish I could still dance, but it doesn't mean I don'y enjoy the atmosphere. Should us disabled people stay at home being miserable all the time?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pascha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
somebody_else
Old 18-11-2008, 8:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascha View Post
Should us disabled people stay at home being miserable all the time?
Pascha - you won't be surprised at the number of people who are convinced that all disabled people are home 24 hrs a day.

I had my bathroom adapted by my local council 3 or 4 years ago - at that time I was working full time. Even the home aid co-ordinator couldn't take on board that I couldn't be available at the drop of a hat, because I had a job to go to.

I even had to explain to someone a few weeks ago - yes I can be in if I know what day you're coming, but I do have to leave the house sometimes, so I would appreciate it if you'd tell me which day you're coming so that I can plan going out round you.
s/e
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to somebody_else For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Peapod2
Old 18-11-2008, 9:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody_else View Post
Pascha - you won't be surprised at the number of people who are convinced that all disabled people are home 24 hrs a day.

I had my bathroom adapted by my local council 3 or 4 years ago - at that time I was working full time. Even the home aid co-ordinator couldn't take on board that I couldn't be available at the drop of a hat, because I had a job to go to.

I even had to explain to someone a few weeks ago - yes I can be in if I know what day you're coming, but I do have to leave the house sometimes, so I would appreciate it if you'd tell me which day you're coming so that I can plan going out round you.
I am registered disabled with severe orthopaedic problems and a brain tumour so I do appreciate what you are saying, but let us be honest there are many people fleecing the system and these people give the genuine claimants bad press.
# 18
somebody_else
Old 18-11-2008, 9:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
.. but let us be honest there are many people fleecing the system and these people give the genuine claimants bad press.
The thing is, I don't think there are as many as some would have us believe. There have been numerous checks on people claiming benefits, DLA, IB etc, and the fraudulent claims they uncover are are tiny % of the claims.

Yes, I'm sure that there are more people fraudulently claiming things like JSA and housing benefit, but I bet the majority of them aren't disabled.
s/e
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to somebody_else For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Lakelady
Old 19-11-2008, 12:49 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think the general scepticism surrounding all disabled people is a problem in itself. I also think this is a reason why so many of us are posting and reading these forums. Its great for all goverments if the attitude to disabled people is that they are basically scroungers. That misbelief keeps the benefits low and unchalleged.
There will be a low percentage of people out there screwing the system. Sadly there are also people out there who cannot get the benefits they are entitled too.
I know one man who was denied mobility allowance - he could crawl but couldn`t walk.
I`m not knocking the OP, but we really don`t know the full story and this keeps the scroungers myth going.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakelady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
cidergirl
Old 19-11-2008, 4:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

that is exactly it to get mobility you must be able to practically not walk at all but ive also seen these people lift up there sticks and run and when they are coming up for a new car after 3 years there they are struggling around on there sticks then they get the new car and they are walking normally . i think the system should change this self assesment rule thing is not right as some are better story tellers than others and its all down to wording apparantly this would show whos genuine and who is not .
Closed Thread