Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    RustyFlange
    Pots of gold help!
    • 13th Nov 08, 9:58 AM
    Pots of gold help! 13th Nov 08 at 9:58 AM
    I must apologise to start with, this site keeps crashing for me and the search function isn't working for me. Anwyay I have looked in the normal places and can't find it.

I made up 5 pots of gold yesterday but wondered how many scratchcards you guys used? I have only put 1 in each as I am doing retro sweet boxes that will have hidden money in them. However they look plain or is it just me? Also have people used anything in the bottom to bulk them out a bit? my bowls are from ikea 79p each I think they were but they are very deep!
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou
    Pics.
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
Page 1
  • chocolate.orange
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:02 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:02 AM
    I have bought my things to make pots of gold

But haven't had the time yet .....

I have some gold tissue paper that was from morrisons 5 sheets for £1 or 2 for £1.50. Its going in the bottom to bulk it out abit I just need to find suitable scratchcards now

Oooh i bought some of asdas smartprice chocolate eclairs to go in there too ( Well i seen the gold wrappers and thought ideal...

Love your pots of gold
    furrypig says:my name is Choccy and I am addicted to nose free stamps as I want to save them all and give them noses!!!
    About me. Im Choccy or Chocolate orange depending on where i am.Yes occasionally i am a total looon who spends too long online,but no where near as much £ as her spendy elves do ..
    • porlock
    • By porlock 13th Nov 08, 10:10 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    porlock
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:10 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:10 AM
    Personally, I'd have put the Ferrero Rocher more at the bottom for bulk and put the coins on top. I think that might make it look more substantial/have more of the 'treasure chest' look you want to achieve.

Just a thought, like.
    • Giggle
    • By Giggle 13th Nov 08, 10:13 AM
    • 3,108 Posts
    • 13,376 Thanks
    Giggle
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:13 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:13 AM
    I have put some tissue paper in mine yours look lovely. Are any of you selling yours or are you just giving them away
    • yummy-mummy-amy
    • By yummy-mummy-amy 13th Nov 08, 10:37 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    yummy-mummy-amy
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:37 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 10:37 AM
    mine have 2x £1 coins in them, chocolate coins, ferrero rocher, worthers original (wrapped) and assorted gold sweets form the market so there is loads in them. they are both only having 1 scratch card in when hubby buys them.
    • MissBailey
    • By MissBailey 13th Nov 08, 11:02 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    MissBailey
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:02 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:02 AM
    I did a trial run with mine yesterday using a glass (I haven't bought my 'pots' yet) and also feel like I need something to bulk them out. I used Ferrero Rocher, Werthers Originals and Coins in mine. I'm going to use one scratch card and one lotto ticket. I think yours look great though Rusty, I love the Ikea pots, might be grabbing a few of them myself! x
    FTB Tracker
    Offer Accepted: May 2nd
    Mortgage Application: May 3rd

Survey: May 13th / Satisfactory Valuation: May 13th
    Formal Offer Text: May 16th

Exchange/Completion...still waiting
  • RustyFlange
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:05 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:05 AM
    Personally, I'd have put the Ferrero Rocher more at the bottom for bulk and put the coins on top. I think that might make it look more substantial/have more of the 'treasure chest' look you want to achieve.

Just a thought, like.
    Originally posted by porlock
    I tried that ... only problem being the bowls are a funny shape so the coins just slid down to the bottom!
  • RustyFlange
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:07 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:07 AM
    I have put some tissue paper in mine yours look lovely. Are any of you selling yours or are you just giving them away
    Originally posted by Julie H
    Thanks, I think I have some gold tissue paper in the garage so will try and dig it out see what I can find.

Mine are just for mine and OH's sisters/brothers/sil/bil as we normally just put £10 in a card but this year I didn't want to do the whole boring thing so went for £15 max spend and so far the posts of gold have only cost approx £2.00 ish each.
  • RustyFlange
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:08 AM
    • 13th Nov 08, 11:08 AM
    mine have 2x £1 coins in them, chocolate coins, ferrero rocher, worthers original (wrapped) and assorted gold sweets form the market so there is loads in them. they are both only having 1 scratch card in when hubby buys them.
    Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy
    Thanks I think I will get some werthers and see if they can go at the bottom to bulk up a little.
    • angie_baby
    • By angie_baby 13th Nov 08, 11:16 AM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    angie_baby
    has anyone got any ideas on what type of pot i could use? :confused:

Im doing about 12 but havent seen anything cheapish or something i like.

Can any one help?

Thanks

PS. Im was only going to use choc coins and 2 cards. Will prob use some tissue paper to pad it out a bit.
    • Mme.Hibou
    • By Mme.Hibou 13th Nov 08, 11:24 AM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Mme.Hibou
    What could one use instead of Ferrero Rocher? Or just fill up using smaller golden wrapped sweets?

• MissBailey
    • By MissBailey 13th Nov 08, 11:30 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    MissBailey
    What could one use instead of Ferrero Rocher? Or just fill up using smaller golden wrapped sweets?
    Originally posted by Lydia82

Werthers are a good option, they're 84p a bag in Tesco and really gold and shiny. I also plan on looking in Woollies at their pick and mix selection. My Dad doesn't like FR so I'm going to have to find something extra to subsitute his with.
    FTB Tracker
    Offer Accepted: May 2nd
    Mortgage Application: May 3rd

Survey: May 13th / Satisfactory Valuation: May 13th
    Formal Offer Text: May 16th

Exchange/Completion...still waiting
  • RustyFlange
    I probably sound like I have completely lost the plot now ... however if someone can find gold pie cases these would work?

I just spotted these ... there is a size guide for them not sure if they would be any good but ideal for making up a few??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Gold-foil-LARGE-muffin-paper-cases-birthday-fairy_W0QQitemZ380081008653QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m380081008653&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A 1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
  • RoxieW
    I think they'd look great if you cellophane them up and use a gold pull bow
    MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!
    £10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
    Weekly.
    155/200
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 13th Nov 08, 11:54 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    stardrops42
    Hi

I'm putting McVities Gold chocolate biscuit bars in with mine (pack of 9 for 99p), thought it would bulk it out a bit while keeping the gold theme going. Haven't done them yet so not sure how they will look
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
  • RustyFlange
    Hi

I'm putting McVities Gold chocolate biscuit bars in with mine (pack of 9 for 99p), thought it would bulk it out a bit while keeping the gold theme going. Haven't done them yet so not sure how they will look
    Originally posted by stardrops42

Oooh thanks, another brilliant idea, do you mind if I steal it? I know my sister loves these and you can't get them in bulgaria! ... only problem is if I buy them then I will either A - eat them myself or B - fight with OH and my kids so they don't eat them!
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 13th Nov 08, 1:12 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 11,600 Thanks
    patentgirl
    they look fab Rusty will be copying them for my lot if you dont mind I was going to put a lucky dip lottery ticket in as well folded like a scroll with a gold ribbon
    Planning for Christmas 2016
    • xkymx
    • By xkymx 13th Nov 08, 1:24 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    xkymx
    not done mine yet but i have bought some cheap gold lamnetta i know thats spelt wrong lol but you know what i mean the tinsel stuff but they look good are you going to wrap them up what ever you devide on the people who they are for will love them

as for cheap bowls they had nice ones in morrisons xmas plastic ones 99p and they were bogof hth
    • papworth
    • By papworth 13th Nov 08, 1:35 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    papworth
    There is often a special lottery on Christmas Eve isn't there? I'm waiting to see. I'm struggling to find gold pots as well and Ikea is about 100 miles away!
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 13th Nov 08, 1:38 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    stardrops42
    Oooh thanks, another brilliant idea, do you mind if I steal it? I know my sister loves these and you can't get them in bulgaria! ... only problem is if I buy them then I will either A - eat them myself or B - fight with OH and my kids so they don't eat them!
    Originally posted by RustyFlange
    I know what you mean I,ve left mine in my desk at work until I'm ready to make them because if I take them home they will disappear before they even get near a pot of gold
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

2,577Users online

Martin's Twitter