IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Pots of gold help!
Views: 166,395
# 1
RustyFlange
Old 13-11-2008, 9:58 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to RustyFlange
Default Pots of gold help!

I must apologise to start with, this site keeps crashing for me and the search function isn't working for me. Anwyay I have looked in the normal places and can't find it.

I made up 5 pots of gold yesterday but wondered how many scratchcards you guys used? I have only put 1 in each as I am doing retro sweet boxes that will have hidden money in them. However they look plain or is it just me? Also have people used anything in the bottom to bulk them out a bit? my bowls are from ikea 79p each I think they were but they are very deep!
Any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou
Pics.
Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to RustyFlange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
chocolate.orange
Old 13-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have bought my things to make pots of gold

But haven't had the time yet .....

I have some gold tissue paper that was from morrisons 5 sheets for 1 or 2 for 1.50. Its going in the bottom to bulk it out abit I just need to find suitable scratchcards now

Oooh i bought some of asdas smartprice chocolate eclairs to go in there too ( Well i seen the gold wrappers and thought ideal...

Love your pots of gold
furrypig says:my name is Choccy and I am addicted to nose free stamps as I want to save them all and give them noses!!!
About me. Im Choccy or Chocolate orange depending on where i am.Yes occasionally i am a total looon who spends too long online,but no where near as much as her spendy elves do ..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chocolate.orange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
porlock
Old 13-11-2008, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Personally, I'd have put the Ferrero Rocher more at the bottom for bulk and put the coins on top. I think that might make it look more substantial/have more of the 'treasure chest' look you want to achieve.

Just a thought, like.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to porlock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Giggle
Old 13-11-2008, 10:13 AM

I have put some tissue paper in mine yours look lovely. Are any of you selling yours or are you just giving them away
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Giggle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
yummy-mummy-amy
Old 13-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to yummy-mummy-amy

mine have 2x 1 coins in them, chocolate coins, ferrero rocher, worthers original (wrapped) and assorted gold sweets form the market so there is loads in them. they are both only having 1 scratch card in when hubby buys them.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yummy-mummy-amy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
MissBailey
Old 13-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I did a trial run with mine yesterday using a glass (I haven't bought my 'pots' yet) and also feel like I need something to bulk them out. I used Ferrero Rocher, Werthers Originals and Coins in mine. I'm going to use one scratch card and one lotto ticket. I think yours look great though Rusty, I love the Ikea pots, might be grabbing a few of them myself! x
FTB Tracker
Offer Accepted: May 2nd
Mortgage Application: May 3rd

Survey: May 13th / Satisfactory Valuation: May 13th
Formal Offer Text: May 16th

Exchange/Completion...still waiting
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissBailey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
RustyFlange
Old 13-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porlock View Post
Personally, I'd have put the Ferrero Rocher more at the bottom for bulk and put the coins on top. I think that might make it look more substantial/have more of the 'treasure chest' look you want to achieve.

Just a thought, like.
I tried that ... only problem being the bowls are a funny shape so the coins just slid down to the bottom!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RustyFlange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
RustyFlange
Old 13-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie H View Post
I have put some tissue paper in mine yours look lovely. Are any of you selling yours or are you just giving them away
Thanks, I think I have some gold tissue paper in the garage so will try and dig it out see what I can find.

Mine are just for mine and OH's sisters/brothers/sil/bil as we normally just put 10 in a card but this year I didn't want to do the whole boring thing so went for 15 max spend and so far the posts of gold have only cost approx 2.00 ish each.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RustyFlange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
RustyFlange
Old 13-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
mine have 2x 1 coins in them, chocolate coins, ferrero rocher, worthers original (wrapped) and assorted gold sweets form the market so there is loads in them. they are both only having 1 scratch card in when hubby buys them.
Thanks I think I will get some werthers and see if they can go at the bottom to bulk up a little.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RustyFlange For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
angie_baby
Old 13-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

has anyone got any ideas on what type of pot i could use? :confused:

Im doing about 12 but havent seen anything cheapish or something i like.

Can any one help?

Thanks

PS. Im was only going to use choc coins and 2 cards. Will prob use some tissue paper to pad it out a bit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angie_baby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Mme.Hibou
Old 13-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What could one use instead of Ferrero Rocher? Or just fill up using smaller golden wrapped sweets?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mme.Hibou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
MissBailey
Old 13-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia82 View Post
What could one use instead of Ferrero Rocher? Or just fill up using smaller golden wrapped sweets?

Werthers are a good option, they're 84p a bag in Tesco and really gold and shiny. I also plan on looking in Woollies at their pick and mix selection. My Dad doesn't like FR so I'm going to have to find something extra to subsitute his with.
FTB Tracker
Offer Accepted: May 2nd
Mortgage Application: May 3rd

Survey: May 13th / Satisfactory Valuation: May 13th
Formal Offer Text: May 16th

Exchange/Completion...still waiting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissBailey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
RustyFlange
Old 13-11-2008, 11:36 AM

I probably sound like I have completely lost the plot now ... however if someone can find gold pie cases these would work?

I just spotted these ... there is a size guide for them not sure if they would be any good but ideal for making up a few??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-Gold-foil-LARGE-muffin-paper-cases-birthday-fairy_W0QQitemZ380081008653QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m380081008653&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A 1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
# 14
RoxieW
Old 13-11-2008, 11:41 AM

I think they'd look great if you cellophane them up and use a gold pull bow
MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!
10 a day challenge Aug 408.50, Sept 90
Weekly.
155/200
"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoxieW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
stardrops42
Old 13-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi

I'm putting McVities Gold chocolate biscuit bars in with mine (pack of 9 for 99p), thought it would bulk it out a bit while keeping the gold theme going. Haven't done them yet so not sure how they will look
GC Feb 325/0
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stardrops42 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
RustyFlange
Old 13-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardrops42 View Post
Hi

I'm putting McVities Gold chocolate biscuit bars in with mine (pack of 9 for 99p), thought it would bulk it out a bit while keeping the gold theme going. Haven't done them yet so not sure how they will look

Oooh thanks, another brilliant idea, do you mind if I steal it? I know my sister loves these and you can't get them in bulgaria! ... only problem is if I buy them then I will either A - eat them myself or B - fight with OH and my kids so they don't eat them!
# 17
patentgirl
Old 13-11-2008, 1:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

they look fab Rusty will be copying them for my lot if you dont mind I was going to put a lucky dip lottery ticket in as well folded like a scroll with a gold ribbon
2014 Frugal living challenge
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patentgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
xkymx
Old 13-11-2008, 1:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

not done mine yet but i have bought some cheap gold lamnetta i know thats spelt wrong lol but you know what i mean the tinsel stuff but they look good are you going to wrap them up what ever you devide on the people who they are for will love them

as for cheap bowls they had nice ones in morrisons xmas plastic ones 99p and they were bogof hth
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xkymx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
papworth
Old 13-11-2008, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There is often a special lottery on Christmas Eve isn't there? I'm waiting to see. I'm struggling to find gold pots as well and Ikea is about 100 miles away!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to papworth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
stardrops42
Old 13-11-2008, 1:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFlange View Post
Oooh thanks, another brilliant idea, do you mind if I steal it? I know my sister loves these and you can't get them in bulgaria! ... only problem is if I buy them then I will either A - eat them myself or B - fight with OH and my kids so they don't eat them!
I know what you mean I,ve left mine in my desk at work until I'm ready to make them because if I take them home they will disappear before they even get near a pot of gold
GC Feb 325/0
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stardrops42 For This Useful Post: Show me >>