replacement coals for gas fire

Options
Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help me.
I have been given a quote of £129.74 for replacement "coals" for a Valor gas fire.(this is just to buy the coals). I think this is excessive.
I have also seen coals on the internet for about £1 each but don't really want to mess with a gas appliance by using them.
Any suggestions or experience of this?

Thanks
Babs

Comments

• Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have the model number or even better a number prefixed with GC?
    Should be on the dataplate.
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • babs57
    babs57 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks razor,
    the model number is 639 and the following number is on the cover of the installer's guide G.C. No. 32-032-47.
    babs
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Thats an expensive fire to buy coals for! In the back of your installation manual there should be a parts number for the coals I have 3002415? Over £75+Vat here http://heatingbitz.com/baxi-potterton-thorn-myson_1_1602_297.htm.

Good luck and please make sure they go in as detailed in the instructions, I wouldn't recommend using generic ones.
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • babs57
    Options
    Thanks Razor-you are so kind!!!
    I really think Valor are ripping off their customers and will let them know.
    Now to tell my 90yr old mam the bad news-it's her fire.
    thanks again
    babs
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds alot of money and maybe even cheaper to buy a new fire! Our pup has a taste for real coal that he finds in the garden but has stolen the "coals" off the valor gas fire before as he can't tell the difference - won't be letting him get close again if they cost that much!

Does anyone know exactly what the "coals" for these fires are made of? I'm wondering whether the special coals you get for gas barbecues would serve the same purpose?

Andy
  • babs57
    Options
    Hi Andrew
    They contain "...Refractory Ceramic Fibres(RCF) which are man-made vitreous silicate fibres. Excessive exposure to this material material may cause irritation to eyes, skin and respiratory tract....."
    Thought I should mention that in case dog gets a taste for them!
    babs
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I had a bit of a shock reading this thread! I keep looking at our 'coals' which look in a sorry state and think to myself, we really should replace them. Now I know how expensive they are I'm not so sure!! The fire isn't a Valor, it's a Legend, but I suppose they will be equally expensive!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • babs57
    Options
    Sorry to worry you.I'm sure your coals won't be that expensive and there are some you can buy individually on the internet ,about 90p each--don't know what they are like though.

Bearing in mind Valor is a very popular make, I think they have got themselves a nice little earner-Anybody out there work for them and would like to comment as to why they are so expensive ? It's really difficult trying to send them an e-mail.
    Maybe a programme like Watchdog might be interested.

Babs
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    are the coals in one piece?

have there just lost there colour, if so get a can of black magic
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • babs57
    Options
    Hi andyhop,
    Some are crumbling- probably beyond repair as the white middle is showing -but others seem fine. I'm tempted to try the ones from the internet or just buy one Valor pack and ignore the letters on the back
    babs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport