first:utility - new energy company launches

Options

Comments

• 1carminestocky
    Options
    I was under the impression they'd waived the installation charge but left the £100 exit fee? I can't find any info on the amount needed to exit on their site, I don't suppose you have a link? It does say this info is freely available from their website but I'm clearly thick :o . Anyway, you make fair points, but would this clause be an additional worry given your meter-situation/access problems?
    By entering into this contract you agree to have your existing meter replaced with an AMR meter, where such a meter is not already installed. The installation may require a short interruption to your supply. To the maximum extent permitted by law, we will have no liability in respect of such interruption. We or our representative will contact you to agree a convenient time for the replacement of your meter. Your failure to honour this appointment by not being at the premises or not providing access will result in an abortive visit charge. An abortive visit charge will be levied on each subsequent occasion that you fail to honour a booked appointment. A list of all our charges and tariffs is available on request from customer services or can be freely accessed online through our website.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    Anyway, you make fair points, but would this clause be an additional worry given your meter-situation/access problems?

I can obtain access to the meter during normal business hours if I absolutely insist on it by prior arrangement but I always receive an ear bashing for doing so and have to grovel to obtain it from people who enjoy acting like feudal landlords.

So a one off install would then permanently me free me from these hassles. And my situation is hardly unique. Lots of other flat owners find themselves in the same position.

Of course it may be better to wait a year or two before this clearly now type approved meter product by the energy networks begins to be offered by a wider choice of energy suppliers. But on the other hand I think whoever installs the meter is going to want a minimum period to recover their install costs unless you as the customer pay for the meter upgrade costs directly. I can't see this product becoming a standard meter install for at least another 5 years and retro fitting to all existing meters may only happen at scheduled meter replacement time.................
  • Shonk_2
    Shonk_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    These jokers are expensive

Lets look at theyr three rate package

13.5p 6am - 4pm
    16.4p 4pm - 8pm
    11.5p 8pm - 6am

what am i paying now 9.51p inc vat

even theyr cheapest time is 2p a unit more
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    Shonk wrote: »
    These jokers are expensive

Lets look at the three rate package

13.5p 6am - 4pm
    16.4p 4pm - 8pm
    11.5p 8pm - 6am

what am i paying now 9.51p inc vat

even theyr cheapest time is 2p a unit more

In my area (Seeboard) the prices on their three rate tariff are:-

11.64p 6am-4pm
    14.69p 4pm-8pm
    9.62p 8pm-6am

See www.first-utility.com/downloads/Tariff_Guide-A5_fold_DF_SEBO_280109.pdf

So where do you live? In rural Scotland perhaps?

However I find their two rate tariff where night time energy is less than any other conventional supplier (6.57p per Kw) rather more interesting. One could set off dishwashers and washing machines on going to bed or install timers that started them at these times of day and/or let fridges or freezers go off on timers for say two hours before 12.30am (they wouldn't cool down significantly in that time) to then run flat out for 2 hours from 12.30am when they come back on. However I would be slightly concerned about the potential fire and flood risk of regularly running a washing machine or dishwasher while asleep just to lower your energy cost. In my area (Seeboard) the prices for their two rate tariff are actually as follows:-

11.15p 7.30am-12.30am
    6.57p 12.30am-7.30am

Anyone going to First Utility would be better picking their Single Rate or Three Rate tariff unless they never get home until 8pm in the week and always leave home by 6am in the morning.

I am not necessarily going to move to them immediately but I am very interested in the technology so will be keeping an eye on First Utility's prices and any roll out of these mobile phone transmitter based meters to other energy suppliers like Scottish Power or Eon (who are normally the two cheapest in the marketplace for most of the time in my area).
  • pbfhpunk
    pbfhpunk Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    I was under the impression they'd waived the installation charge but left the £100 exit fee? I can't find any info on the amount needed to exit on their site, I don't suppose you have a link? It does say this info is freely available from their website but I'm clearly thick :o . Anyway, you make fair points, but would this clause be an additional worry given your meter-situation/access problems?

It says about the exit fee on every tariff sheet.
    Hell yeah!!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    However I find their two rate tariff where night time energy is less than any other conventional supplier (6.57p per Kw) rather more interesting. One could set off dishwashers and washing machines on going to bed or install timers that started them at these times of day

Many people on Economy 7 do as you suggest.

However another consideration is the noise problem of these machines coming on in the middle of the night.

Some blocks of flats ban their use at night for this reason - and given you have problems in your building!!!!!

When, years ago, I was on E7 I found that we were putting on dishwasher overnight when it was not full - and to a lesser extent washing machine, so having extra cycles.

In any case modern washing machines and dishwashers use relatively little power - 0.4kWh -0.6kWh for most washes, so savings will be modest.
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    In any case modern washing machines and dishwashers use relatively little power - 0.4kWh -0.6kWh for most washes, so savings will be modest.

How about putting the fridge and freezer off at say 9.30pm on a timer and then bringing them back on at 12.30am? I expect the saving is really pretty small though as they only draw 60W per hour (on average due to their higher peak loads and then long periods of drawing no power) between them. Also perhaps it might do unfortunate things to the freezer contents to start an effective partial thaw once a day, even though the temperature in the freezer would still remain well below 0C.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    pbfhpunk wrote: »
    It says about the exit fee on every tariff sheet.

Like I said, I'm clearly thick :o . But where's me reading glasses? :eek:

There is a cancellation fee of £100 if your contract is terminated within the initial contract period of 24 months. These charges
    cover the cost of the smart meters and their installation.
    Any instances under our terms & conditions where we are required to impose default rates on residential tariffs will be reflected by
    a 20% increase being applied to the standing charge and unit rates. *Subject to regional variations

(Another couple of 'thicko' questions for you :p): where does it say you only have to pay £50 to have the meter uninstalled and not the £100 exit fee if you decide to leave within the first 24 months? And where does it say how much they will charge if you aren't in when they call to fit the meter? TIA. :beer:
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • richardc1983
    richardc1983 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In your last extremely self absorbed five posts in a row within a few minutes

Whatever... it was my opinion on the product being sold, i was not reading the entire thread and was replying on a post by post basis.

There is no need to get personal I certainly would not describe my posts as self absorbed!

They are too the point the company selling this product is charging whatever they like and you are paying far higher prices for something.

It is your landlords duty to give you access to your meters. Our meter is locked in the basement but we have access to it should we need to in emergencys, the same goes for the gas meters. If your are having difficulty with them you need to discuss this with them.

I think you are wasting money by going ahead with this meter.

pretty soon many energy suppliers will be doing these types of meter so its worth holding out for rather than these people who are cashing in.

The website isnt even upto date! Doesnt fill me with confidence really!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • mhendo
    mhendo Posts: 525 Forumite
    Options
    ...where does it say you only have to pay £50 to have the meter uninstalled and not the £100 exit fee if you decide to leave within the first 24 months? And where does it say how much they will charge if you aren't in when they call to fit the meter? TIA. :beer:
    I've been watching this with interest, as the pricing is only marginally more expensive than the cheapest, based on my current usage - maybe £15-£30 per year. Just as you point out, their fees aren't clear. I can see £50 termination fee on comparison sites, like energyhelpline, where the tariff is quoted as "v2", but First:Utility's site still states rates from Jan 09, such as a £100 exit fee.

If they indeed have a new tariff, new fee structure, then why can't they update their own website to reflect this? Are there any happy customers of First:Utility on here - I've only seen people talking about them from the outside, but no first hand experience. I couldn't see any guarantees to state they are contrctually obliged to provide the online analysis facilities, but then I only glanced through.

Any good reviews?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport