Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • Paddy O'Moron
    • 13th Aug 08, 10:47 AM
    • 13th Aug 08, 10:47 AM
    Been trying since THURSDAY (August 7th) to get onto Confused's website. Times out every time. What's the problem? Don't they want any business?
    The other websites work fine, so it's not a problem with my browser or firewall. It just seems that Confused's technology isn't up to much.

So I'm off to Tesco's website.
  • Carmex Fan
    • 13th Aug 08, 11:54 AM
    • 13th Aug 08, 11:54 AM
    I wouldnt even bother with confused, they quoted me extortion price.
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 13th Aug 08, 12:56 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 13th Aug 08, 12:56 PM
    • 13th Aug 08, 12:56 PM
    I had used Confused.com recently for car insurance was disappointed to find out that a mark was placed on my credit file just for searching for the cheapest insurance, this was done by RBS on behalf of UKI Partnership. I only managed to find this out since I got membership with Experian else I would not have known.

I created a thread on this forum about this and someone from confused.com had responded. So believe in terms of service they are quite good and I did use them quite regularly. I have found on some instances when you go to the particualr insurance directly it sometimes comes back with a cheaper quote compared to confused.com.

Little worried to use them now for everything in case a search is put on everytime I am looking for a particular insurance. Don't mind the unrecorded enquirys but the one occured on my file would count as a search of my report.
  • elfreako
    • 14th Aug 08, 1:21 PM
    Isn't this bad
    • 14th Aug 08, 1:21 PM
    I had used Confused.com recently for car insurance was disappointed to find out that a mark was placed on my credit file just for searching for the cheapest insurance, this was done by RBS on behalf of UKI Partnership. I only managed to find this out since I got membership with Experian else I would not have known.

I created a thread on this forum about this and someone from confused.com had responded. So believe in terms of service they are quite good and I did use them quite regularly. I have found on some instances when you go to the particualr insurance directly it sometimes comes back with a cheaper quote compared to confused.com.

Little worried to use them now for everything in case a search is put on everytime I am looking for a particular insurance. Don't mind the unrecorded enquirys but the one occured on my file would count as a search of my report.
    Originally posted by darkcloudi
    Do all insurance companies do this?
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 15th Aug 08, 3:08 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 15th Aug 08, 3:08 PM
    • 15th Aug 08, 3:08 PM
    Originally posted by elfreako
    i know More Than do as they are part of Royal and Sun Alliance although with them it appears as Unrecorded Enquiry, which doesn't count as a search.
    • Oscar The Grouch
    • By Oscar The Grouch 17th Aug 08, 1:02 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Oscar The Grouch
    • 17th Aug 08, 1:02 PM
    • 17th Aug 08, 1:02 PM
    I used Confused to get my car quote and the website worked fine. I did read their T&C's first and they confirm that there may be a credit check involved. I had ample opportunity to back out before the credit check was done and I had to tick a box to say that I had read the T&C's and was happy with them first.

The best price on their website was NU, so I went direct to NU via Quidco and got £52 cashback. Net result: reduced premium from £360 last year to £250 this year.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 24th Aug 08, 12:12 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    beardiedog
    • 24th Aug 08, 12:12 PM
    • 24th Aug 08, 12:12 PM
    MoneySupermarket is cheapest for me so far, then confused. Saving of £50 with M&S over my current insurers Budget with exactly the same benefits and the quoted price includes everything. By paying an extra £8 I can reduce my excess from £250 down to £100. Gonna see if I can get any cashback deals now and see if I can reduce it any further. I'm over 50 and the likes of Saga have failed to come up with a better deal than other companies.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 26th Aug 08, 10:24 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    beardiedog
    • 26th Aug 08, 10:24 AM
    • 26th Aug 08, 10:24 AM
    After linking through to M&S I checked that all the correct answers had been transferred across before I went ahead. No cashback gimmicks like other insurers just an upfront quote with everything included, it's up to you then remove anything you don't require.
  • jontyC
    Tried confused for home insurance. Site easy to use and saved £250 on quote price against direct line, who I've used for 12 years. This meant I could pay it in one payment, saving £41 on installments. The test of the pudding is in the eating though. I stuck with DL becasue they were very good when it came to claiming. I'm now with homeinsureltd which confused apparently has close links with. Fingers crossed I don't have to use them!
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 11th Sep 08, 3:45 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    movilogo
    Confused.com is owned by Admiral group. So, their comparison will favor companies in that group.
  • fatuscatus
    Originally posted by elfreako
    RBS/Privilege do as well although it shows as "Application Type: Insurance" on my Experian report. All I did was get a Confused.com quote.
  • fatuscatus
    [quote=Oscar The Grouch;13421651]I used Confused to get my car quote and the website worked fine. I did read their T&C's first and they confirm that there may be a credit check involved. I had ample opportunity to back out before the credit check was done and I had to tick a box to say that I had read the T&C's and was happy with them first.

I've looked through their T&Cs twice now and can't see anything relating to a credit check. Can you post a link to the relevant section? I'll not be using Confused for another motor quote in the meantime.
    • peteraj
    • By peteraj 14th Sep 08, 8:56 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    peteraj
    Confused said I did not have a valid residency, maybe it wanted me to start living in the UK before I was born! Other sites worked fine, went with Diva (insurance is for my wife) via MoneySupermarket and at £208 less £50 cashback on a T Reg micra with 6 years no claims, full legal cover and an excess of £0 yes £0 I reckon it is pretty good
    Last edited by peteraj; 14-09-2008 at 8:59 PM.
    Peteraj.

Trying hard to save money and trying to help friends do the same by finding the real "Moneysaving" bargains and avoiding companies that take my custom for granted.
  • IrishPaul
    Confused.com website not working for 4 days
    I have been trying to use the price comparison website Confused.com for 4 days to get car insurance quotes as per their adverts. This is a site I have used before from the same computer and I have tried to access it from other PC’s.

Each time Internet Explorer comes up as an error.

All the other price comparison sites work and I am truly surprised that Confused.com isn’t. I called the number of Confused.com on 0871 882 8298 which I obtained from the Admiral Group plc website as they are the owners of the website and was met with a cocky lady who insisted it was all working fine!! I assured her is wasn’t and was told there was nothing she could do as on her computer it was all working OK?!!

Maybe you could find out or investigate because it has left me Confused!!!
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 21st Oct 08, 11:03 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Hi all

We've asked Condused about this and it seems there are some techincal issues for Tiscali users as Tiscali are re-routing their customers via foreign servers and this is causing security problems when they try to enter Confued.

Testing is currently being carried out and it is hoped this will be resolved fairly quickly.
  • chouchou
    Confused?
    Well yes ! as many, I have tried Confused.com for home insurance and they took ages to try and get the quotes, then gave up and told me they'd email them -

OK, so they did the following day and when I went to check the best quote was indeed splendid but having to consult my poor working other later at night about it, when I returned the following day, that quote had gone and the next best was a good £50.00 more expensive.... = NOT IMPRESSED !

Also all those comparison sites don't ask the right questions, some also "assume" a lot about you. So what's the point ? You can't really tailor your quote - I end up being overinsured for things I don't even possess and don't dream of ever possessing -

Plus all those PDF files to read my head swims !
    Last edited by chouchou; 06-03-2009 at 1:50 AM. Reason: wanted to add to it - ;-)
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 6th Mar 09, 1:59 AM
    • 20,281 Posts
    • 12,523 Thanks
    dacouch
    The joys of comparison sites
  • chouchou
    Confused.com - More Than Ever !
    HOME INSURANCE:

And so today I tried them again = I gave them all the right details, they gave me X amounts of quotes, 2 of which were rather interesting - By the time I went to the first, NOT EVEN TIME TO "LOG IN" to the site , the phone rang and there they were : HomeInsurerer.co.uk = Was flabbergasted by their speed to jump on me !

Then, of course I, a retired woman, owns a house as tennant in common (= 50% each - independent) with a dear old male friend (NO string attached) and WAS REFUSED the most excellent deal as we were NOT married/common law whathaveyou - I was sick !

So if a male and a female share/own a house together because it makes sense financially and they're good friends but don't sleep together HomeInsurer.co.uk does not want to know - so how many other?

I have dropped drinking 6 months ago (and stopped overdoing it the last 15 years - before = another matter ! hey, you're only young once... ) but went out to get a bottle of very nice white to go with our dinner ! I can't believe how upset I was/ AM ! etc....

Had to mail the FSA about it because, frankly, I don't know what or whom to trust now when I get insured - So reported it and asked for advice....

Would they invalidate a claim ? Have we spent a vast amount of money (for us) over 12 years to no avail ? (God knows we live modestly in a twee house...) Would we be properly insured anyway ?

And WHY did Confused.com sent us to them ?

I'll say it again :You just can't tailor your insurance to your needs - always thought they were a scam, but then again, what if your house burn down ?

Am at my wits end! and SO angry !
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 6th Mar 09, 10:48 PM
    • 20,281 Posts
    • 12,523 Thanks
    dacouch
    A lot of Insurers do not like it if you are not a couple or related as their computers are not set up to handle this.

If you pop to a local broker they will have no problem getting you cover (You need to make sure both of your names are on the policy as joint policy holders).

If you don't want to use your local broker, I think Norwich Union will cover you but your may have to run the gauntlet of the oversees call centre. Or just ring round and explain to the Insurers at the start of the call your circumstances and they will say yes or no
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin