Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have to find out where they are getting in and sort it. You've already answered your own question, which is probably why no-one has answered you. Also its difficult to see what to do when its just txt on a pc.
    You have got to take up the floor and then decide how to deal with it, if you have to put a new concrete floor in or not, will have to be decided when you find out where they are getting in,
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • AndyD_OHD
    AndyD_OHD Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HI All

I have seen recently devices to plug into the mains which deter mice. We have heard mice in our loft, I have tried using poison, which seemed to be working for a few months but I've heard the blighters again.
    Does anyone know if these electrical things actually work?

Cheers
    Andy
  • Buttercup
    Buttercup Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've not had more mice since we got our plug in device from B&Q:j
    Sarah x
  • Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    they gave me a horrible headache! Threw them out once I worked out what was causing it.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • lisat00
    Options
    Hi

thank you for the flour advice, it really helped! i knew they were there and coming in , the flour " footprints" proved what i needed...just one point the council "ratman" said was a really good idea to prove had been in however, he said flour is a food source....so we as are trying to track we are also feeding them!!!!!....that is annoying! he said instead use talc powder...they wont eat this ( hopefully) i have had a continual probelm for 3 years.. they come ...get poisoned die and then come back every 3 months...council will not do anything but put poison down as house is private ot council....they did at one point but now not really interested!!!!...hope the electronic / ultrasound plug helps as im sooo tired of having to worry about RATS !!!!!!!!!!

calmgirl wrote: »
    (CG'S Hubby here)

he council will posion them for free

other wise keep all food, waste and rat,mouse eatable things of the floor and in plastic contaniers and keep everything clean

if you not sure where they are comming in sprinkle flour on the floor around the edges,walls etc inside and check for little footprints. (I used this to great effect when I use to shoot them for people)
  • ollyk
    ollyk Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    lisat00 wrote: »
    Hi

thank you for the flour advice, it really helped! i knew they were there and coming in , the flour " footprints" proved what i needed...just one point the council "ratman" said was a really good idea to prove had been in however, he said flour is a food source....so we as are trying to track we are also feeding them!!!!!....that is annoying! he said instead use talc powder...they wont eat this ( hopefully) i have had a continual probelm for 3 years.. they come ...get poisoned die and then come back every 3 months...council will not do anything but put poison down as house is private ot council....they did at one point but now not really interested!!!!...hope the electronic / ultrasound plug helps as im sooo tired of having to worry about RATS !!!!!!!!!!

Those ultrasonic things do absolutely sod all! I had some and I was also able to check they were working correctly (being competent in electronics) and watched a mouse meander in front of one without a worry in the world. Save your dosh!

We used humane traps but couldn't keep up (although they worked) so got a cat instead and haven't seen any for over a year now!
  • AndyD_OHD
    AndyD_OHD Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a cat and it is a fervent hunter, but we still have mouse activity in our loft. The cat isn't allowed into the loft.... we have bare flooring/loft insulation.
  • 6889joannew
    6889joannew Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    i hate the bloody things,and my house is terraced and we all have mice ive realised they are coming from under me floor boards as i have a metre deep cap between the actual ground and my floorboards.
    I bought loads of wirre wool went round the whole house ie pipe holes skirting boards and litle hole i could find.
    And touch wood i have not seen 1 in 4 days(even thou i had seen one every day for about 5 days)
    Also hem electric things u plug n are a waste of time the mice just run underneath them.
    The worst thing is its warm and they bred like wild fire.
    OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WINS- HOLIDAY TO DUBAI/IPAD 2/KINDLE AND LOTS OF OTHER OTHER LITTLE BITS I LOVE COMPING!!!
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    ollyk wrote: »
    Those ultrasonic things do absolutely sod all! I had some and I was also able to check they were working correctly (being competent in electronics) and watched a mouse meander in front of one without a worry in the world. Save your dosh!

I found they worked better when I had them on 'constant' rather than 'pulse'. The thing about the ultrasonic plug-ins is that they will not stop the mice getting in the house. What they will stop is the mice nesting, they make the mice 'itchy' and they cannot settle, therefore will not nest.

The best combination I've found is putting poison down, and the sonic plug-ins. The poison kills off the current 'guests' and the plug-ins keep out new tenants.
    I've not noticed any sign of mice for a couple of months.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts