I have literally no money!

Options

Comments

• toinfinityandbeyond
    Options
    why not everytime u use a public toilet,take a few sheets extra?I know it's not ideal but hey,u have no choice! Shampoo wise,you could just use basic shower gel which u can buy for 19p in tesco.Good luck x
  • debtmuncher
    Options
    would a crisis loan be any good?

did think of supermarket bin raiding but thought that would be a tad too much for you lol
  • brokeinwales
    brokeinwales Posts: 425 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Not best of use, but you can use 500 nectar points = £2.50 in Sainsburys and Teco vouchers are worth their stated amount.

Ooh does anyone know if you can use the vouchers in Tesco Express??? I've got about £10-worth, but there is no "proper" Tesco within walking distance of home/work.
    why not everytime u use a public toilet,take a few sheets extra?

That's a sensible idea but it still made me laugh out loud! I can't believe I'm reduced to this!
  • the_walking_dude
    Options
    Rice, Cous Cous or potatoes and scavenge!!! wild berrys, mushrooms, seaweeds, fruit, mussles, cockles ect ect ect, look it up on the web and be careful that you know what you are picking!
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    buy a big bag of potatoes, and use some of the eggs for egg and chips (chips or wedges dook fine in the oven if par boiled. Try to get a bag with big potatoes and then use for jacket potatoes with cheap beans.
  • debtmuncher
    Options
    GoldenJill wrote: »
    Do you have any nectar points or tesco vouchers?

Not best of use, but you can use 500 nectar points = £2.50 in Sainsburys and Teco vouchers are worth their stated amount.

I was in a predicament like this when I first came to the Uk.. went to the supermarket just before closing and bought loads of quiches for 25p each.. just froze them and had half a quiche each day and supplemented it with beans. not hugely appetising but filling.

I wish you all the luck and if I thikn of anything I can do I'll let you know...

wish we could all send you £1 via paypal or something...! (if we all had it spare!)

instead of this how about sending one food item? i am happy to do it. have a few tins of sweetcorn and mixed beans in the cupboard.
  • Surbybird
    Surbybird Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have any fruit trees near you on common ground? Near where I live there is a large common with several dozen fruit trees, all of which are currently heaving with fruit and I've seen quite a few people there with baskets collecting either fruit from the trees or windfalls. I think someone even mentioned it on our local Freecycle group.

Freecycle is another option, of course. You could ask if anyone has any excess fruit or veg from their garden/allotment etc. You don't need to give a reason for wanting it but I have seen people in the past asking for fruit to make jam with and veg for pickling. I currently have a glut of veg in my garden and would rather someone used them, than for me to stick them in my compost bin because I couldn't use them all up myself.

Good luck!
    August £10 a day challenge- £27/£310
  • lisainglasgow
    Options
    Nick toliet roll for definite! Also, ask for a hot water (free) in McDonalds and save up the free coffee stamps - 6 stamps for 1 free coffee - you can aways savenge other people's cups! Plus you can get free sugar and ketchup etc from most fast food places to help pep up your meals.
    I have found loaves for 2p at Asda round 10pm, and value peas can be added to meals to bulk them up and be a bit healthier. Baked potatoes are cheap - but I would get yourself round to the boyfriend's place a couple of times for a cheap dinner - tell him you'll cook his favourite meal if he buys the ingredients!

I am very impressed with everyone's ingenuity on this thread!
  • slig
    slig Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You could liberate a loo roll from a public toilet... :eek: (you can always return one at a later date if you feel guilty.)

Basic shampoo is pretty cheap, 30p a bottle maybe.

If your boyfriend uses disposable razors, nick one of his, tell him it's for his own good.

You could become a freegan? http://www.freegan.org.uk/ At any rate, it's blackberry season, so you could pick some for some free fruit.

Yes you can use Tesco vouchers in Tesco Express. Do you have any Boots advantage points? You can get lunchy-type things in there.
    Debt at LBM (17/10/08) £5727.61 Debt free date 31/08/09
  • brokeinwales
    brokeinwales Posts: 425 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 3:15PM
    Options
    Do you have any fruit trees near you on common ground? Near where I live there is a large common with several dozen fruit trees, all of which are currently heaving with fruit

I live in quite an urban area, so I'm not sure how practical this is. There are a few parks I could check out I guess. One of my colleagues has an allotment - would it be rude of me to ask if they had anything spare do you think? (I do hate the idea of not getting my 5 a day)
    tell him you'll cook his favourite meal if he buys the ingredients!

This idea rocks!

I am very impressed with everyone's ingenuity on this thread

I am too. I feel a lot more positive already - kind of like it's a bit of a challenge.
    I still wish pay day would hurry up already though...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure