Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

Options

Comments

• Naughtynat
    Options
    OK BF is back & on the case :)

He's looked at the site you are downloading from & it is a reputable site, so we can take one worry off the table!

Try this:

Download the file again but this time, select the option to 'Save' - then save it to a location you can easily find, eg your Desktop.

Once it has finished downloading goto the location you saved the file & double click the .exe file. A warning will probably come up that the publisher could not be verified, just select 'Run'. This should now install Roboform.

Something to note: The pc you are using may be what is restricting you from installing the file? BF is saying that a User account with a limited set of privileges would probably be stopped from installing software - if you have successfully installed stuff in the past though this shouldn't be the problem.

Let me know if this sorts it or not? Thanks :)

Nah, it wont work! when i double click on the icon, it comes up with the 'sorry for the inconvenience' thing! I think it may be my security settings, but have jiggled about with them and no change.
    Competition wins in 2009 - Nothing so far :confused:
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll move this to private message Naughtynat as it sounds a bit more involved & I (BF) need to know some stuff. Expect a pm from me in a few moments ;)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • intrepid
    Options
    I absolutely cannot find the competition forum, and wherever it is you find the threads with comps listed.... so can't even begin to follow instructions given here....
    Not usually so computer illiterate...
  • KittyPryde
    Options
    The competitions forum is here and all the comps are added every day, good luck.
  • sbirks23
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    As a new comper, I've been sorting the comps by 'Thread Start Time' 'Ascending' using the options at the bottom of the main page, then keeping a note of which last competition i got to and working through them one by one entering those i fancy.
    I thought this would ensure when i finally got the end, i would have seen all comps and then only have to keep an eye on new posted comps.
    However, I happened to go back 20 or so pages and noticed several i hadn't entered, on more checking i found more on several different pages.

Does anyone know if it literally only sorts by thread start time and not thread start time + date which i thought it did.. this is the only reason i can think that would explain why random ones appear to have been missed on so many different pages..?

If this is the case, does anyone have a fool-proof way of going through each and every competition? This was the method suggested on the newbie board but doesn't seem 100%..

Thanks to everyone for their great comping advice, posting comps etc I've had 4 wins in 2 months :rotfl: i'm hooked!!

Thanks again, Sx
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! If helpful please thank me Won 5* holiday,£100,gym,BAFTA vip,£75,tan,soundbar,signed cookbook,tix,duplo,facewash,Bodyshop,Lindt,Prevage,Everiche,disney,dvd,supplements,perfume,Topshop makeup + other prizes :)
  • sbirks23
    sbirks23 Posts: 698 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure which board was most appropriate to post this advice in

T--J just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH, your idea of subscribing (without notification obviously!) each comp i enter has proved much quicker.

For any others wanting to know how, here's how i did it:
    1. In User CP profile, left hand side "Edit Options" part way down 'Default Thread Subscription mode' change dropdown of notification settings to "No notification"
    2. On lefthandside, "Edit Folders" Type new folder name in 1 of lower boxes name this 'Ones to know about' or something similar, this is the folder you'll use for those you want to keep track of or receive alerts for.
    3. Type over the original folder name of 'subscription' to 'Competition Entries'. As this is the original folder, it seems it's the default folder when you use the quick drop-down to subscribe to a thread. SAVE settings.
    4. Now when entering a comp, use the 'thread' drop-down and click subscribe, this will pick up your default settings. This will put a tick by the thread on the forum board, and file it in the Competition Entries folder without clogging up your inbox! :rotfl:
    5. When looking through the competition forum, if you have entered a comp it will be indicated by a tick on the lefthandside meaning you don't have to go into each thread to check.
    HOPE THIS HELPS!! Thanks again T--J for the initial idea, from one much happier comper! Sxxx
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! If helpful please thank me Won 5* holiday,£100,gym,BAFTA vip,£75,tan,soundbar,signed cookbook,tix,duplo,facewash,Bodyshop,Lindt,Prevage,Everiche,disney,dvd,supplements,perfume,Topshop makeup + other prizes :)
  • VelvetGlove
    VelvetGlove Posts: 12,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi sbirks23 :) Thanks for posting the info on how to keep track of comps you've entered - the information is already in the Guide with a few screen shots in the section Getting Started (II), 2 How do I keep track of which comps I’ve entered?

Glad to see there is another [STRIKE]addicted[/STRIKE] dedicated Comper ;) Good luck with wins in the future! :)
    Sad because you don't know what to do? :sad: Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out :smiley:
  • mcroodi
    mcroodi Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone know where I can find the list of spammy sites to avoid please? I tried searching using words like "spammy sites" and "spam" but just seem to find the words and not the list.

Thanks
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mcroodi wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know where I can find the list of spammy sites to avoid please? I tried searching using words like "spammy sites" and "spam" but just seem to find the words and not the list.

Thanks

Go back to page 1 of this thread and scroll down to question 9.
  • mcroodi
    mcroodi Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.. found it now... i must have whizzed past it. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business