PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

David Wilson Homes appalling finish, customer care and management

Options

Comments

• On the door and head / jamb 5mm+ gaps - the door frames are out of plumb. The bottom of the door closes to the frame but the tops do not and so overall some doors do not close properly.

This has been agreed with the developer as per NHBC guidelines they cannot be more than 5mm out.
  • Site Manager today said that we have voided our 2 year electric and plumbing warranty with David Wilson Homes because British Gas upgraded our thermostat.
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    Site Manager today said that we have voided our 2 year electric and plumbing warranty with David Wilson Homes because British Gas upgraded our thermostat.

They can't say that. Presumably all of the original wiring was left in and British Gas have just swapped out the termostat (so installed a new controller on the wall in place of the old one). If they'd modified the actual boiler circuit in some way (which I wouldn't think is the case) then I could see how that would void the boiler warranty, but the whole house electrics, plumbing, radiators, etc? Crazyness. I think NHBC would disagree with that statement, give them a call.
  • Yes, British Gas literally just changed the thermostat. And if we did have any issues we would go back to them.

We also had to replace some chipboard in a bedroom. Some of the original boards had expanded to 27mm (should be 22mm) presumably because of rain during construction. We had ridges in the floor which you could feel and see under carpet and then caused problems for laminate. David Wilson Homes weren't interested in this when we spoke to them which is why we undertook the work ourselves.

We've been told that because we changed some boards, our 2 year structural warranty is void.

Just spoke to NHBC and they have clarified that if our roof blew off and the walls fell down would we still be covered.

I think because of the amount of issues we have at the moment that DWH are trying to wash their hands.
  • amyface
    amyface Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    A very interesting read. How did / has this all ended?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Site Manager today said that we have voided our 2 year electric and plumbing warranty with David Wilson Homes because British Gas upgraded our thermostat.

Nightmare.
    :(
  • efchutchy
    efchutchy Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2018 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Interesting thread and can totally relate to your complaints.

We moved in our Barratt's home in March 2017 and our snag list was longer than the Bayeux Tapestry. It is still ongoing. It originally included the following:-

Plastering, painting very poor - very patchy and bitty
    Glue on the skirting boards
    Paint on the vinyl flooring
    loose wall sockets
    doors not put on properly
    shower en suite door not shutting

Honestly I could go on and on.

However, the site manager has been really good and gradually we have managed to get the snag list down significantly and they have helped me with odd jobs round the house too. We still have a few problems that they will be helping us with before they eventually go to a new site.

It's just a shame the people originally working on the finish of my house have been so lazy with their work and don't carry the same commitment as the site manager. After all, these people are supposedly experts at what they do!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    efchutchy wrote: »

We moved in our Barratt's home in March 2017 and our snag list was longer than the Bayeux Tapestry.

Can we make that a House Buying forum motto?

I know there's an element of "they're all the same" but they are really not. I bought a new Barratt's home in 1999. The brochure that you see after purchasing said they built to an average standard - not high or exceptional.

The problem is, they don't even reach average, and getting them to fix even large issues is painful, never mind normal snagging like tiles not aligned.

Other houses close by built by smaller builders had residents very happy with their finish and customer care.

It's a problem with Barratt's and the other large shed builders. Never again.
  • efchutchy
    efchutchy Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Can we make that a House Buying forum motto?

I know there's an element of "they're all the same" but they are really not. I bought a new Barratt's home in 1999. The brochure that you see after purchasing said they built to an average standard - not high or exceptional.

The problem is, they don't even reach average, and getting them to fix even large issues is painful, never mind normal snagging like tiles not aligned.

Other houses close by built by smaller builders had residents very happy with their finish and customer care.

It's a problem with Barratt's and the other large shed builders. Never again.

haha yes you can use that as a motto :)

It's such a shame that you spend all this money, let's be honest, a premium for a new house to expect value for money. Ironically we opted for a new build because we wanted a new house, where everything would be new and wouldn't need fixing/replacing soon. We have two young kids and didn't have the time to fix up an older property which would have been my preference had the kids not been so young. The reality in this situation is that I have had to work from home a lot whilst Barratt's have been around many times to fix things, not ideal in my job having to spend so much time away from the office but there was no other option.

The next 12 months will be very interesting as I have one year of the Barratt's guarantee left. Hopefully have all of the snags sorted by then, but I wonder if there are any hidden problems :(
  • Helena11
    Options
    I bought a David Wilson home in June 2018. I naively thought because it was a small site (only 36 houses) we would not get many problems. I am now 10’s of the thousands of pounds out of pocket and struggling daily for my sanity. I cannot stress how much I WOULD NOT recommend David Wilson. We exchanged on the house in October 2017 and spent nearly £40k in extras so that when we moved in we would have a completely finished house. The reality is we moved in to a filthy building site that was far from finished. None of extra electrics had been fitted which required an electrician on-site for a further week. You can only imagine the amount of mess this created – plaster cut out and re-filled, dust, paint workmen everywhere. And that was just the beginning. We when had a professional snag report done – there were nearly 400 snags that required new drainage, new sinks, window reveals replaced/repaired, new garage door, side not door just not fitted in garage(!), 2 skip loads of rubble removed from the back garden, a complete re-skim and repaint of house…. Just to mentioned a few items. As you can imagine the lovely extras we put in aren’t looking so great after that amount of work. We moved back out for 2 weeks (although DW thought we could live through that chaos ….). The legal wrangling is still on-going and 3 months later we still have trades people needing to visit almost on a weekly basis. Most of the neighbours on the site that I have spoken to have suffered a similar experience. If anyone every mentions that are looking at a David Wilson home I would suggest you tell them to run and never look back. I can honestly say if I could afford it I would put the house on the market in the morning and walk away from it. I hope this helps some other person from having to live through the hell that we have endured and over the last 3 months and at the moment still have no sign of getting better anytime soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure