Amazon Logistics (rant)

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    The issue is the advice says between 8am and 10pm, which is stupid way too wide a window.

Also if the depot was contactable, then perhaps the poster could have rang them and prevented them even trying delivery to say please deliver tomorrow instead, but as it is the only way to communicate is a note on the door which is a trick I have also used in the past with weird companies like amazon logistics who cannot be contacted.

Thats not the issue. The OP knew all these factors on ordering.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    The issue is the advice says between 8am and 10pm, which is stupid way too wide a window.

Also if the depot was contactable, then perhaps the poster could have rang them and prevented them even trying delivery to say please deliver tomorrow instead, but as it is the only way to communicate is a note on the door which is a trick I have also used in the past with weird companies like amazon logistics who cannot be contacted.

They cannot be contacted because the couriers are self-employed. Once they've collected that day's parcels, the depot has no further involvement. if you know you're unlikely to be home then give instructions to Amazon a safe place or neighbour to deliver to.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    DPD are not perfect I agree, but they still light years ahead of amazon logistics.

DPD - hourly estimate of delivery.
    DPD - if sender pays for it, recipient can pick hour of delivery.
    DPD - phone number to contact them incase of problems.

Amazon logistics - get a 14 hour delivery window and no way to contact depot, can ring main amazon helpline, but they have trouble contacting depot themselves.

I have never had a failed delivery from DPD, I had a close call, but because I could ring the depot, the driver came back and delivered.
    I have had 7 failed deliveries this year from amazon logistics since february, it has given me nearly 2 years worth of free amazon prime as compensation.

DPD couriers are employed. Amazon couriers are not. Neither are Hermes or Yodel couriers.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    They cannot be contacted because the couriers are self-employed. Once they've collected that day's parcels, the depot has no further involvement. if you know you're unlikely to be home then give instructions to Amazon a safe place or neighbour to deliver to.

isnt good enough in 2017.

A proper delivery company can do better than a 14 hour window.

I am home, however I dont like to sit there for 14 hours waiting for the delivery. I dont pick a delivery date where I Wont be in.

Of course it gets even worse when they fail, as the 14 hour window becomes a 5 day window the estimate changes to "within next 5 days attempt to deliver".

Amazon logistics have managed to become worse than yodel which takes some doing.

Also self employed drivers can still provide a contact number to the depot, as well as been given instructions on how they expected to fulfill their contract.

But it sounds like there is no organisation or standards and the whole thing is run to have minimal costs, so I expect the parcels are just handed over to the drivers, and the drivers are told to get on with it in their own way, no set routes or anything.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    DPD couriers are employed. Amazon couriers are not. Neither are Hermes or Yodel couriers.

Does this make it ok?

As a customer who expects certain standards your statement holds no relevance.

Amazon delivery isnt exactly cheap, so its not like I am paying pennies for it either. Before you say amazon prime is free it isnt, on top of the subscription fee, the vast majority of prime products have a price premium which in affect is a delivery surcharge masked as a product charge. Years ago I loved amazon, and thought they were the pinnacle, but things have gone downwards so much in quality of service.

I get the impression you have come to accept this as some kind of standard, which to me makes me concerned that people like yourself find a bad service acceptable.

So company A can offer DPD next day for £7.99 whilst amazon offers next day via amazon logistics for same price. (on top of amazon prime product tax).

Amazon logistics runs the way it is because amazon want it that way, they have complete control how their products are delivered.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

Sometimes couriers on the ground will ignore those instructions anyway...
  • Feral_Moon
    Options

I am home, however I dont like to sit there for 14 hours waiting for the delivery. I dont pick a delivery date where I Wont be in.

Of course it gets even worse when they fail, as the 14 hour window becomes a 5 day window the estimate changes to "within next 5 days attempt to deliver".

Amazon logistics have managed to become worse than yodel which takes some doing.

Also self employed drivers can still provide a contact number to the depot, as well as been given instructions on how they expected to fulfill their contract.

But it sounds like there is no organisation or standards and the whole thing is run to have minimal costs, so I expect the parcels are just handed over to the drivers, and the drivers are told to get on with it in their own way, no set routes or anything.

Welcome to gig economy logistics! If you want a proper delivery service then pay for it. If you want free delivery then this is what you get. As for couriers leaving a number st the "depot" - as soon as the last courier has collected his manifest, it will most likely be closed. Some "depots" are nothing more than lock-ups and the majority of sub-depot managers will have their own rounds to take out too.

Volumes are 3-4 times higher than usual from now until the end of January so people need to be patient. There's no need to sit in waiting 14 hours. If you go out then leave a note on the door with instructions or neighbour to leave with. It would be far easier to give these details when you place your order.
  • Chrysalis
    edited 2 December 2017 at 2:32AM
    Options
    feral did you read my post at all?

Amazon provide no option to pay for a "proper" delivery service except maybe when you pick by 1pm (that might still use special delivery).

Also I already pointed out to you amazon is already expensive for delivery anyway, they over charging for a poor service.

I am trying to explain standards should be raised, whilst you are trying to explain, there is no issue with such poor standards been used by a large company, and that people should just accept it. We will clearly never agree on this. I do always now shop around when I can and avoid using amazon when possible so I do actually act on my words, but sadly is a fair few things I buy that I can only find at amazon so get forced to use them if I want the product.

Even the supermarkets can provide 1-2 hour windows for a £1 fee, tesco have 6 hour windows for their budget delivery price but on the morning of the delivery they reduce it to a 2 hour window. So the assumption that low cost must mean no standards to me is unproven. It just requires a company to have pride in its service and to manage things better.
  • custardy
    Options

Have Amazon ever marketed themselves as a courier company?
  • custardy
    Options
    feral did you read my post at all?

Amazon provide no option to pay for a "proper" delivery service except maybe when you pick by 1pm (that might still use special delivery).

Also I already pointed out to you amazon is already expensive for delivery anyway, they over charging for a poor service.

I am trying to explain standards should be raised, whilst you are trying to explain, there is no issue with such poor standards been used by a large company, and that people should just accept it. We will clearly never agree on this. I do always now shop around when I can and avoid using amazon when possible so I do actually act on my words, but sadly is a fair few things I buy that I can only find at amazon so get forced to use them if I want the product.

Even the supermarkets can provide 1-2 hour windows for a £1 fee, tesco have 6 hour windows for their budget delivery price but on the morning of the delivery they reduce it to a 2 hour window. So the assumption that low cost must mean no standards to me is unproven. It just requires a company to have pride in its service and to manage things better.

Are you really comparing supermarket deliveries with courier multi drops?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback