Home Heating Oil

Options

Comments

• ollywood68
    Options
    Just a word of warning people. Was talking to a home heating oil retailer (Belfast Based) a few days ago, and he expects 1000l to top the £500 mark this side of xmas. Might be worth getting some in now :eek:

just ordered recently but will need to order before xmas anyway so there is nothing I can do to avoid higher price
    happiness is being able to have one more drink
  • bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Just been reliably informed that the price of heating oil is coming down on monday so don't order any this weekend........
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • ollywood68
    ollywood68 Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    To be absoluely honest I don't think there is ever a good time to order. The price of oil, unlike gas, changes on a daily, if not hourly basis with some companies. Therefore its very hard to guess what the price is to be. What MSE is good for, is that you can see a price on a particular day were people have recorded it and then when you are thinking about ordering oil, MSE provides a compator.

Here's another good site that provides the average price of oil yesterday and today I think it is based across UK prices but still helpful

http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/latestprice.htm

and it also gives good advice when buying oil

http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/buyingoil.htm
  • ollywood68
    Options
    ollywood68 wrote:
    To be absoluely honest I don't think there is ever a good time to order. The price of oil, unlike gas, changes on a daily, if not hourly basis with some companies. Therefore its very hard to guess what the price is to be. What MSE is good for, is that you can see a price on a particular day were people have recorded it and then when you are thinking about ordering oil, MSE provides a compator.

Here's another good site that provides the average price of oil yesterday and today I think it is based across UK prices but still helpful

http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/latestprice.htm

and it also gives good advice when buying oil

http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/buyingoil.htm

One of good pieces of advice in this site is never sign up to direct debit with an oil company as they keep you as a customer. I dont know whether anyone else finds this, but some people when you talk to them about oil, respond by saying they pay by DD and therefore only pay a particular amount a month, which sounds reasonable, but if they bother to work it out (which obviously they dont) they are not getting the best value for money.

My tip is therefore NEVER PAY BY DIRECT DEBIT
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ollywood68 wrote:
    My tip is therefore NEVER PAY BY DIRECT DEBIT
    I would agree ... however would further recommend that you put an equivalent monthly amount aside (into a separate bank account) so that when you do need to order you do not get lumbered with a massive bill.

I do this for many bills including oil, rates, car insurance etc. (anything that I pay as a lump sum rather than DD). The account even earns a bit of interest ... not much but every little helps

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    ollywood68 wrote:
    To be absoluely honest I don't think there is ever a good time to order.

This is so true. The normal advice is to fill up the tank in the summer ... not this year :eek:

Although, to be fair, the price carried on rising! You would have been better off filling up in April ... but you'd probably need a top-up soon at current inflated prices.

Finally, you have to fill up when you need to. I only have oil, so need it for cooking (Aga) during the summer. No choice, but to fill up when I need to, no matter what time of the year :mad:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    ollywood68 wrote:
    One of good pieces of advice in this site is never sign up to direct debit with an oil company as they keep you as a customer.

:confused: But surely that doesn't stop you buying from another supplier?

I have DDs with two local suppliers - check the price of each and simply order from whichever is the cheapest ....

Or do you mean a DD "budget plan" :confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • ollywood68
    Options
    :confused: But surely that doesn't stop you buying from another supplier?

I have DDs with two local suppliers - check the price of each and simply order from whichever is the cheapest ....

Or do you mean a DD "budget plan" :confused:

Sorry yes. DD budget plan. Highly uncompetitive way to go unless you phone round and get the best price and then get your supplier to compete
  • ollywood68
    Options
    by the way its great having the oil tank full, even if it did cost a fortune, as I now dont need to worry about running out.
  • bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    As predicted, prices have come down this week & will continue to fall all week so hold off for another couple of days if you can..............
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure